Darryl R

Besides Roon for Ethernet DAC

Rate this topic

Roon 1.7/505 trashed the album naming scheme I've been using for a few years.  I have tagless flac/dsf files, and prior to 1.7/505 Roon would consistently prepend my composer folder name to the album folder name to form the Roon album name when I selected "Prefer File" in the import options.  No more.  If Roon knows the album, it takes over regardless of the settings, but when you still have a ton of unknowns, then you get a mishmash of album naming schemes with no useful sort order (add to that the fact that Roon's classical database starts some composers with their first name, and others with their last, so Antonin Dvorak sorts before Bach for some albums).  I suppose I could programmatically insert tags with the dBpoweramp toolkit, but life is so much simpler when you don't have to mess with tags.  Until now I guess.

I'm interested in recommendations for new players, preferably on Linux.  My MSB DAC currently has the Renderer module, so Euphony would still require Roon, and HQ Player would require the USB module in any of its configurations.

Thanks all.

@Darryl R have you considered Audirvana+3.5 see my other posts ROON ver 1.7 corrupted everything for me for  a few days now it is OK but A+3 is great i like it better than ROON don't know it is compatible with Linux tho.

Hi Bob, and thanks for the response.  Audirvana was my very first player, years ago, but only for Mac, at least then.

EDIT: I see they now have it for W10.

And a remote also 😀

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini, i5, 2.5GHz, SSD, 16Gb, 10.15 > Audirvana Plus 3.5.24 > Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition >
Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series > Audirvana Remote > iPhone 8

In looking now at some players I'd forgotten since my Mac days years ago, I see Amarra, which I hadn't used, has grown too.

At present I'm leaning towards HQPE on Linux with the Windows remote, very similar to my current Roon config except I'll have to install the Pro-USB module on my DAC.

Jussi really knows what he's doing and I've been him bust his butt to support people in the past.  On the other hand, Roon's support model forces you into a discussion forum with an occasional drive-by that may or may not get you what you need.

@Darryl R  don’t I know it—— dealing with THEM is like “... forget it Jake, it’s just CHINATOWN...”  Amarra- had it for long time price kept going up and support really went downhill maybe better now

It's a smart business model, but terrible for folks in a jam.  As a programmer for 30+ years, maybe Microsoft started it all by pushing documentation, training, and support off to third parties, and then throw in the Wikipedia approach to use the community.  With Roon, somewhere, there are some great programmers that did the core, but the metadata management is amateurish.

As this thread drifts off the page, I'll wrap up by saying I found one solution, rather than modifying a program I have to update tags, Spoon at dBpoweramp already had a utility to populate the artist, album, title and track no from the file system.  Simple,  but its another step I'd have to add to my NAS updates, if I decide to keep Roon.