IGNORED

Extremely Basic Digital + Analog question

philbin

Question

Hi all,

I have an originally purchased 1977 Marantz 2252 receiver, driving MA-1 speakers.  It handles my Denon CD player well, but it will not perform with a portable music player, such as an iPod Classic.  The playable volume is greatly reduced and when I try to increase it I hear a relay inside the Marantz click and the volume drops to zero, until I back it off, whereupon it resumes playing.  It feels like a power insufficiency on the part of the iPod. 

Now I've added a Hiby R6 Pro that exhibits the same characteristics, but at a higher volume level, as if the R6 is putting out more power than the old iPod, but not enough to push the sound through the Marantz, and it is protecting itself by tripping that relay.  It may all be a construct of my imagination, seeing as how I have very little knowledge of electronics.

My question boils down to this:  Does the R6 Pro need a DAC to talk to the analog Marantz?  Does the R6 Pro need a pre-amp to provide enough signal for the Marantz?  Is it one or both (or neither) of these?  The R6 Pro plays fine through the car's stereo, but I assume there is a DAC in the dash, since it has a CD player.

AFAIK, the Marantz is still in proper working order.  Any advice you could give this fossil would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks, 

Philbin

3 answers to this question

Typically amplifier input is high impedance input, that means the input circuit of amplifier senses voltage, it draws very small amount of current. Therefore output power of the sound source device is not relevant, output voltage is important parameter.

I read specification of R6 Pro and found its analog line out is 2.0V rms,

while its single-ended headphone output terminal can provide 2.8V rms when headphone volume is max. Maybe first thing to try is to connect R6 Pro headphone out (instead of line out) to your amp. If it does not provide enough sound pressure, get analog pre-amp to increase signal voltage

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

13 hours ago, yamamoto2002 said:

I read specification of R6 Pro and found its analog line out is 2.0V rms,

while its single-ended headphone output terminal can provide 2.8V rms when headphone volume is max. Maybe first thing to try is to connect R6 Pro headphone out (instead of line out) to your amp. If it does not provide enough sound pressure, get analog pre-amp to increase signal voltage

I started with the headphone-out, but have not tried the line-out yet.  Didn't think of that, but it is the opposite of what you suggest. 

Why an analog pre-amp? Because the output of the R6 is analog? Or because the receiver is analog?

Thanks for your response.

9 hours ago, philbin said:

I started with the headphone-out, but have not tried the line-out yet.  Didn't think of that, but it is the opposite of what you suggest. 

Why an analog pre-amp? Because the output of the R6 is analog? Or because the receiver is analog?

The Marantz already includes a preamp. You do not need another one. Anyway, hasn't this been discussed already in another thread?