FileMakerDev

Phasure ET^2 Ethernet cable - Share your configuration experiences

Rate this topic

Aha ...

Very nice that you started this thread because I am sure I can use the results myself, having an EtherREGEN en route.

What's extra-convenient is that people will largely report about the same devices - A PC plus an Ethernet hub (I hope that name justifies the EtherREGEN).

At this moment I can't tell how people will use the EtherREGEN but I myself will be using it in between what we call the Music Server PC (holds the music files internally or externally) and the music playing Audio PC (obtains the music data via an Ethernet cable from the Music Server PC).

All together my chain will look like this:

Internet -> Modem -> Router -> Music Server PC -> EtherREGEN -> Audio PC.

While the above is the electrical path, there's also a functional+electrical path, going like this:

Tablet (/w RDC) -> WiFi -> Router -> Random Ethernet Cable -> Music Server PC (/w RDC) -> ET^2 (1) -> EtherREGEN -> ET^2 (2)-> Audio PC.

(the tablet in the end controls the Audio PC as a remote via this path).

May it help for understanding, this is my current path (no EtherREGEN involved yet):

Tablet (/w RDC) -> WiFi -> Router -> Random Ethernet Cable -> Music Server PC (/w RDC)  -> Random Ethernet Cable -> Audio PC.

Two remarks with this configuration / chain:

1. I don't allow WiFi in the Audio PC;

2. I don't connect the Audio PC to the router (don't want it hooked up to the Internet plus it is "slower" than the direct connection).

Curious how this thread will work out; thank you @FileMakerDev.

Btw, your ET^2 just came from the presses and will ship out in an hour or so ...

Peter

Lush^2      Blaxius^2      Ethernet^2     HDMI^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Thanks Peter, the ET^2 arrives today, and I am really looking forward to it. FWIW my audio chain is currently...

VortexBox > generic ethernet cable > EtherRegen > AQ Cinnamon > ultraRendu > Lush^2 > ISO-Regen > Lush^2 > Lampizator Big 7

...with the ET^2 replacing the AQ Cinnamon.

Correction: the actual chain would be...

VortexBox > generic ethernet cable > hub > generic ethernet cable > EtherRegen > AQ Cinnamon > ultraRendu > Lush^2 > ISO-Regen > Lush^2 > Lampizator Big 7

...with hub also connected to a long ethernet cable running to a router at the other end of the room. That's probably more than I needed to share, but in the interest of full disclosure.

First impression -- holy expletive deleted! This is so much better than I was expecting.

The ET^2 arrived this afternoon, and I've been listening nonstop for the last four hours with the default configuration. I had no real complaints re: the AQ Cinnamon, but now that I've heard the ET^2, the Cinnamon will be retired except for comparison purposes. And just to confirm I wasn't imagining things, I've swapped back and forth several times -- nothing else has changed, and I've made sure volume levels remain constant.

The sound with the Cinnamon is extremely dynamic and clear, with a nice open high end. Prior to swapping in the ET^2, the only drawback I was aware of was a slight harshness at higher volumes. Of course I didn't attribute that to the Cinnamon, however with the ET^2 the dynamics and high end are unchanged, but things are warmer, more engaging, "analog" sounding, relaxed and musical. The harshess is gone, the lower midrange and bass are improved, and I am listening at higher volumes than before in a state of rapturous enjoyment.

The sound stage is greatly improved, and I'm hearing tons of new microdetails and am more aware of the macro details... when singers harmonize, I'm more aware of each voice... each instrument is more clearly delineated... individual notes stand out distinctly and the sustain of piano notes and strings hover longer in the air. And I have never heard drums/percussion sound so right... the drum kit is there in front of me and I can "see" what the drummer is doing. I mentioned the lower midrange and bass a minute ago... there's some extra energy now in that region, and they are resonating in a way that is hard to describe but is quite compelling. Something I feel as much as hear.

To summarize: my system, which was already superb, is now more crankable and toe-tappingly musical than before. Eventually I will experiment w/ different configurations... for now I just want to listen... and listen... and listen.

Ha !

Holy what was that ?

🤐

Well, welcome to your own thread and your own first poster !

For me it was quite challenging, knowing that a few weeks back I posted elsewhere something like "and we will see that despite the well thought design of the EtherREGEN an ET^2 cable will still make a difference. You could say that was against all odds, but knowing a little what forces are at play, the stipulation was not all over overdone.

And there we are.

Anyway, so yes, it makes a difference.

Didn't you try an other config ? ... not that I advise it (first let break in the lot a bit), but I am also eager to know whether like with your Lush^2 the configs for the ET^2 with the EtherREGEN involved, makes a difference. And I hope I am not too naughty if I say that I never used an ET^2 (or other boutique Ethernet cable) myself. As a matter of fact I should be ordering one, with my own EtherREGEN due.

Also funny: I have no clue as of yet what could be the difference in SQ. So I know what I did with / to the Lush^2, but the ET^2 is only a very best Ethernet cable with some shielding configurations. Nothing strange or out of spec or anything (OK, almost not ¬¬). But the largest bandwidth, so to speak (all theoretical and no figures to show). But merely: how (somehow) a connection like this can be under the influence of a cable - I must start thinking about it. As said, I expected it, but this is just general and merely because other people told me with all kinds of superlatives that it works out. Just the same I have no "feel" with it yet.

PS: From a reliable source I heard that you forgot to have dinner.

Lush^2      Blaxius^2      Ethernet^2     HDMI^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

6 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

PS: From a reliable source I heard that you forgot to have dinner.

It’s true. Your product caused me to neglect my stomach. You will be hearing from my attorney tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Didn't you try an other config ?

I briefly experimented with a few, based on my notes from my Lush^2. In every case I preferred the default. It sounds so good I’m not incentivized to experiment further for the time being. 

But of course this topic is for discussing configurations, Presumably at some point someone will suggest one

P.S. My housemate, who has been subjected to my ever-evolving stereo system over the last four years, and whose response is typically a terse "sounds good", volunteered this morning (after hearing the ET^2 last night), "Your system sounds the best it's ever sounded -- you shouldn't change a thing ever again."

I too have an ET^2 cable replacing a gotham jssg360. More musical in default config  but have no time playing with configurations yet and wait further improvments in my ethernet audio system preceding the DAC so that such variations are esaily heard

I am afraid though this thread will not be very populated yet since I understand Peter has just sold a few untill now... hope this thread will increase number of config testing volunteers😎

8 minutes ago, Ricardo007 said:

I am afraid though this thread will not be very populated yet since I understand Peter has just sold a few untill now... hope this thread will increase number of config testing volunteers😎

May his tribe increase!

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's