IGNORED

EtherREGEN: All posts about firmware moved here

21 minutes ago, Johnnydev said:

hi Iving,

I really do not understand that after so many reviews from you, now come with the grounding, whereas this was specifically described in advance?

It has only brought doubt and unrest! 🥵

Hi Johnnydev,

Many apologies - I am not sure I fully understand.

I haven't reported on grounding previously (afaik!) Please don't correct me if you find something!

After significant systematic adjustments since last I posted I have found that adding a ground wire from the ER to my IsoTek GII Mini Sub (you would have to review my System to interpret) adds body and weight - a positive tone adjustment for me - even if I discover eventually that it is not strictly "Hi-Fi". It doesn't matter.

I remove all "doubt and unrest" from my own mind by coming to my own conclusions after much mucking about and in the fullness of time. I don't know any other way! (bar the spiritual!). We audiophiles probably turn over too many stones in order to find happiness 😉

1 hour ago, Iving said:

Hi Johnnydev,

Many apologies - I am not sure I fully understand.

I haven't reported on grounding previously (afaik!) Please don't correct me if you find something!

After significant systematic adjustments since last I posted I have found that adding a ground wire from the ER to my IsoTek GII Mini Sub (you would have to review my System to interpret) adds body and weight - a positive tone adjustment for me - even if I discover eventually that it is not strictly "Hi-Fi". It doesn't matter.

I remove all "doubt and unrest" from my own mind by coming to my own conclusions after much mucking about and in the fullness of time. I don't know any other way! (bar the spiritual!). We audiophiles probably turn over too many stones in order to find happiness 😉

Thanks for your explanation so far; it is a good thing to report all of this. In addition: I totally agree with Superdad to remove so much gear (switches) as possible.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:23 PM, JohnSwenson said:

The changes only affect the RJ45 ports on the A side, not the SFP port or the RJ45 port on the B side.

Could you remind me of your connectivity again? Do you have anything else on the A side? I've been racking brain trying to figure out how changes to just the A side RJ45 ports could possible affect anything on the SFP port if there is nothing attached to them. The changes only affects signals on the RJ45 ports, so if nothing is connected then I don't see how anything could possibly be changed.

We do know that sometimes the SFP modules make poor contacts with the connector inside the SFP cage. Could you try taking the optical cable out, pulling out the SFP module, reinsterting it, firmly pushing it in, then reconnect the optical cable and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

John S.

Yes, I've been having consistent issues with this. Everytime I move the ER (e.g when I dust the audio rack), power it down for various reasons, the optical transceiver in the SFP cage usually  "comes loose" and it has taken me typically a considerable degree of fiddling to get it to connect up again. I am using the Sonore "System Optique"-specificed optical transceiver. If anyone knows of an LC optical transceiver that works better, I'm all ears. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

On 11/29/2019 at 5:50 AM, Ehsu said:
On 11/29/2019 at 5:34 AM, _JL_ said:

too smooth

Exactly the same words popped into my head in last hour of listening while I was looking for answers why the new version doesnt resonate with me. It seem to lose a bit of transient speed which makes music a bit less " live ". 

How odd that my reaction would be precisely the opposite. And "live" sounding is one of my main goals for my system. Before the ER my system sounded "live", then with ERv1 "live-er", and now with ERv2 "live-est".

Might be the explanation...🙄

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

35 minutes ago, Puma Cat said:

Yes, I've been having consistent issues with this. Everytime I move the ER (e.g when I dust the audio rack), power it down for various reasons, the optical transceiver in the SFP cage usually  "comes loose" and it has taken me typically a considerable degree of fiddling to get it to connect up again. I am using the Sonore "System Optique"-specificed optical transceiver. If anyone knows of an LC optical transceiver that works better, I'm all ears. 

the sfp cage shouldn't be loose -- give it a good push.  alex has said it takes a bit of force.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
7 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

the sfp cage shouldn't be loose -- give it a good push.  alex has said it takes a bit of force.

I didn't say the SFP cage was loose. The SFP case is soldered to the main board at, IIRC, 9 points and is secure. What I said was that the fit of my optical transceiver into the SFP cage has consistently proven to be problematical. I can move the ER just a little bit, and the fit/connection between the optical transceiver can disconnect. I know that it takes quite a bit of force to install the optical transceiver to get it to seat securely, and I apply quite a bit of force when inserting the optical transceiver into the SFP cage. Sometimes it connects up, but many times it does not. What I've consistently experienced is that it takes several attempts and a fair bit of "fiddling" to get it to connect up. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

43 minutes ago, Puma Cat said:

I can move the ER just a little bit, and the fit/connection between the optical transceiver can disconnect. I know that it takes quite a bit of force to install the optical transceiver to get it to seat securely, and I apply quite a bit of force when inserting the optical transceiver into the SFP cage. Sometimes it connects up, but many times it does not. What I've consistently experienced is that it takes several attempts and a fair bit of "fiddling" to get it to connect up. 

We aside from the obvious--stop moving things around! x-D--I agree that you ought to try another SFP transceiver.  

And John mentioned to me something along the lines of it being possible to have some of the differential pairs of the module not connect well, still have connectivity--but poor sound. Busy day, but maybe he will explain about that more properly at some point.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

We aside from the obvious--stop moving things around! x-D--I agree that you ought to try another SFP transceiver.  

And John mentioned to me something along the lines of it being possible to have some of the differential pairs of the module not connect well, still have connectivity--but poor sound. Busy day, but maybe he will explain about that more properly at some point.

That might explain what I had experienced Alex... no drop outs but poor sound. This might be a plausible explanation. Unfortunately I related the phenomena with the upgrade because of course I had to move the eR and disconnect the SPF module... and following John advice I checked but probably it was not properly inserted. At the third time it worked. My apologies again.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

11 hours ago, octaviars said:

I use these from FS.com, zero problems and the fit is really good. 

Single-mode 1310nm modules and cable are from Corning. 

DSC_0293.thumb.JPG.be98a803466b76af71e4dbf30b68cdb7.JPG

Cool, I'll check it out...

12 hours ago, octaviars said:

I use these from FS.com, zero problems and the fit is really good. 

Single-mode 1310nm modules and cable are from Corning. 

DSC_0293.thumb.JPG.be98a803466b76af71e4dbf30b68cdb7.JPG

Thanks, Octaviars. I've found the FS site for the fiber optic transceivers. I note a "GE" designation on the sticker for yours. Does that refer to a "Generic" network designation? I noted that FS.com has specific transceivers for Arista, Juniper networks, etc, The stickers on these have AR or JU on them, respectively. Yours has a GE, I'm presuming that's for a Generic network.

thanks!

18 hours ago, Superdad said:

Yep, I get it, Alex. But I do have to dust the audio rack from time to time! 😉  One of the times the optical transceiver disconnected was when I simply lifted up ER to put some Herbie's Audio Labs Tenderfeet for micro-vibration absorption underneath it (which BTW, *do* result in an audible improvement, as they do when under an LPS-1.2>).  

Cheers,

PC

2 hours ago, Puma Cat said:

Yours has a GE, I'm presuming that's for a Generic network.

That might be correct as they work in my Ubiquiti router and the etherREGEN.

"FS generic compatible transceivers break free of vendor lock-in and guarrantee continued flawless interoperability and compatibility with third party vendors."

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Important for my wife and me is the whole music experience:

Together or alone on the couch and immerse in the (live) music experience, with details and impact

Tight and layered bass, detail, nice, warm middle and a good resolution with a live feeling if present. sometimes as if you can walk among the musicians

Nice sound from the TV, films preferably with a smashing, lively (cinema) experience.

Playing like in a disco, but also very important nice sounding when music gets played in the background, and fine sounding as we walk around and do our daily things

The EtherRegen brings improvements in all these areas and gets better every day

16 hours ago, octaviars said:

That might be correct as they work in my Ubiquiti router and the etherREGEN

Which ubiquiti router u use? I have edgerouter 6P but normally its sfp cage is for WAN not for LAN connection so did you have to reconfigure the router to be able to use fiber between router and ER? And did you compare with copper ethernet?

@Ricardo007 I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP.

Yes you have to configure the sfp to be a regular LAN port (ETH0 WAN, ETH1-5 LAN and 5 being the SFP.

I have not compared to copper.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
On 11/30/2019 at 11:16 PM, Dutch said:

OK now there’s a separate topic and I might find some time tomorrow..

@Superdad

I still haven’t updated; is it possible, when I save the ‘current.uf2’ file (before copying the ‘V2’ file) to copy it back if&when I want to return to ‘V1’ (perhaps after renaming it first)?

My question above was completely ignored by Uptone Audio but I just updated anyway since most reservations about v2 are/seem to be retracted now.