Jump to content
IGNORED

EtherREGEN: All posts about firmware moved here


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jos said:

Too much of a good thing?? Can be; I guess it depends on your system. I love it in my already smooth system!


Yes, I have to say the palpable sense of “you-are-there”ness continues to be fully present for me too, if not more so.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ehsu said:

Hopefully they will reconsider it. The way I see it, almost everyone praised about the original SQ but some including myself briefly experienced connection issues. I think only ONE person concluded there is no improvement in his system. Version 2 has quite a few of us finding the SQ less engaging. So clearly ER's sound signature is now more polarising/controversial. 

This hifi business is all about preferences. We buy certain brand of hifi because we like its character. Some prefer McIntosh, some prefer Naim, Linn etc. So why not letting some of us keep the sound signature we LOVED? We paid for the original ER and was just hoping connection issue is fixed. Why fixing things that no one complained? This to me makes no sense.

A superior car does not mean it is a fun to drive car, right? Tesla is fast 0-100 but V8 is more emotionally addictive. Porsche 911 is technically flawed with the engine weight hangs out in the back but people love it for decades because of its character. 

Can I please have my Porsche 911 back? 🙂

 

I see your point but must wholeheartedly disagree about the Tesla. Much more emotionally addictive to me. Which, I guess, undermines your point about the ER as well.  Because there are many, including myself, who feel the V2 firmware is a step up from the V1. And if you recall the fixes were not implemented for sound quality reasons but rather to shore up the code and fix a technical issue. By all means you should be able to revert if you want - but understand why the changes were made and that there are many of us who love their new Tesla more...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree EHSU -I am waiting on the roll back file. I prefer my top end Cisco to V2, I had a high end audio dealer come for a  listen and he thought V2 was a totally different sound - more hi fi and less musical and coherent re the timing. I think there is a real danger here for Uptone re the hundreds of units that are of a different character. I would return a V2 but would walk over hot coals for V1. I have been a musician as well as an audiophile for a long time and I have absolutely no doubt V1 is way more consistent with live presentation - in my rig. (NAGRA Tidal Audio Shunyata full isolation, dedicated lines, Metrum, Weiss). 

 

I think the point is that V1 was universally seen as brilliant - V2 for me is a backward step (my rig is already at a very engaging level and V2 has sucked it out) and it seems many here have very similar experience. Could be the rig, could be taste, could be different compensatory SQ for system issues etc.... It is important to address this as I see a big risk in returns for the guys at Uptone who are brilliant and genuinely want to hear impressions - otherwise why have a forum. (I had no connectivity issues).

 

Luckily it appears easily solved - the changes are easy to make. But v1 and v2 are entirely different character and pls be aware of this as V2 is not a better v1. It is different to my ears markedly.  One way for those with HT is to watch a live concert on youtube and you will immediately hear and see how things are really different. Both video and Audio are affected by the way.  Have already posted observations and these seem to be quite consistent with many users. 

 

If you are making a change - I am not sure whether you can copy that file and pop it back if you dont like it. I dont know whether the roll back file is simply this or a different SW.  I hope it as simple as that to get back V1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, incus said:

I see your point but must wholeheartedly disagree about the Tesla. Much more emotionally addictive to me. Which, I guess, undermines your point about the ER as well.  Because there are many, including myself, who feel the V2 firmware is a step up from the V1. And if you recall the fixes were not implemented for sound quality reasons but rather to shore up the code and fix a technical issue. By all means you should be able to revert if you want - but understand why the changes were made and that there are many of us who love their new Tesla more...

Of course I remember the reason for the update. It was SUPPOSED to fix connection issue only! You do know they changed other codes for SQ as Alex said himself? So I do not know what is your point here? If you love you ER v2 or Tesla, thats fine. I am not asking you to change! If we have a choice, it wont affect people who love their version2. My point is this, I bought a Porsche then it turns into a Tesla or Bentley or whatever after a few weeks?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, thyname said:

Oh gosh... this is so confusing. 
 

Since everything is fine with my EtherRegen, and no connectivity issues whatsoever,  I will stay put with my original, no firmware update, unit.

If we get the choice to go back to v1, then you can update to v2 and decide yourself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, andresz said:

Agree EHSU -I am waiting on the roll back file. I prefer my top end Cisco to V2, I had a high end audio dealer come for a  listen and he thought V2 was a totally different sound - more hi fi and less musical and coherent re the timing.  I think there is a real danger here for Uptone re the hundreds of units that are of a different character. I would return a V2 but would walk over hot coals for V1. I have been a musician as well as an audiophile for a long time and I have absolutely no doubt V1 is way more consistent with live presentation - in my rig. (NAGRA Tidal Audio Shunyata full isolation, dedicated lines, Metrum, Weiss). 

 

I think the point is that V1 was universally seen as brilliant - V2 for me is a backward step (my rig is already at a very engaging level and V2 has sucked it out) and it seems many here have very similar experience. Could be the rig, could be taste, could be different compensatory SQ for system issues etc.... It is important to address this as I see a big risk in returns for the guys at Uptone who are brilliant and genuinely want to hear impressions - otherwise why have a forum. (I had no connectivity issues).

 

Luckily it appears easily solved - the changes are easy to make. But v1 and v2 are entirely different character and pls be aware of this as V2 is not a better v1. It is different to my ears markedly.  One way for those with HT is to watch a live concert on youtube and you will immediately hear and see how things are really different. Both video and Audio are affected by the way.  Have already posted observations and these seem to be quite consistent with many users. 

 

If you are making a change - I am not sure whether you can copy that file and pop it back if you dont like it. I dont know whether the roll back file is simply this or a different SW.  I hope it as simple as that to get back V1. 

 

 

 

 

I understand your point. I will revert to my Cisco and report back. I can’t really connect with v2. On the contrary v1 was a Cisco on steroids! Much better SQ, much better emotionally connection. Does any one can send me a copy of v1? I would appreciate it. Thank you. Jorge

AMP: Electrocompaniet ECI-6D; DAC: Oppo 205 (modded); ECI-6D

Streamer/endpoint: Zen MKIII/ultraRendu; Speakers: Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature; Cables: Speakers (Acoustic Revive) + RCA (au24sx) + RJ45 (Vodka Audioquest) + USB (Diamond Audioquest) + Power (Pangea's + Actinote's) + iR&oM (Neotech 16AWG OCC Silver + DC 4); Filters/reclockers: Jensen VRD- iFF + Pink Faun Isolator + Acoustic Revive RGC-24 + HMS “The Perfect Match” + isoRegen; Switch: etherRegen + opticalModule; Cisco 2960; LPS: Sboosters MKI & MKII (+ ultra) + HDplex 200 + LPS 1.2

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick question. I am using the fiber port on the A side. Is there anyone that uses also fiber and prefer the v2? It is just an hypothesis that the decrease of SQ with v2 affects just just the fiber port and not USB. Just a guess...

AMP: Electrocompaniet ECI-6D; DAC: Oppo 205 (modded); ECI-6D

Streamer/endpoint: Zen MKIII/ultraRendu; Speakers: Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature; Cables: Speakers (Acoustic Revive) + RCA (au24sx) + RJ45 (Vodka Audioquest) + USB (Diamond Audioquest) + Power (Pangea's + Actinote's) + iR&oM (Neotech 16AWG OCC Silver + DC 4); Filters/reclockers: Jensen VRD- iFF + Pink Faun Isolator + Acoustic Revive RGC-24 + HMS “The Perfect Match” + isoRegen; Switch: etherRegen + opticalModule; Cisco 2960; LPS: Sboosters MKI & MKII (+ ultra) + HDplex 200 + LPS 1.2

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Superdad said:

But the code change we made does not touch the SFP cage's SGMII interface at all

 

18 hours ago, soares said:

It is just an hypothesis that the decrease of SQ with v2 affects just the fiber port


Jorge, given what Alex has said, can this hypothesis be correct?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Chill guys! 9_9

Since John and I are the only people on the planet currently able to compare the current firmware (A/B/A/B) to the original (and despite what someone implied I have not sent a "rollback" file to ANYONE), I'd say it was amusing how a FEW of you are getting hung up on what you THINK you remember the original sounding like.  Only I am not amused, as all you are doing sowing fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

The new firmware--aside from fixing the EEE bug--improves transmit and receive performance of the PHY circuits of the 'A'-side RJ45 ports. That is all. We reserve the right to produce a technically superior product.  Whoever said they thought we spent months "voicing" the EtherREGEN to its original release "sound" and then rushed in a change without listening is 100% wrong on both counts.

I think one vocal person is using only the optical port on the 'A' side and still claiming the new firmware "ruins" the sound him. But the code change we made does not touch the SFP cage's SGMII interface at all, so it is just imagination. 9_9

 

I am going to listen again myself over the weekend and then make a decision about if we will make the technically poorer performing firmware file available. Until then, please tone it down a bit.  Thanks,

--Alex C. 

It must be me Alex, as I am just using the fiber. 🤪

but I haven’t touch anything on the system. And whether I am having some ear troubles or it’s not my imagination... 

I am sorry Alex, but it’ what I am hearing. I will check tonight if I disconnected anything from my system.

cheers Jorge

AMP: Electrocompaniet ECI-6D; DAC: Oppo 205 (modded); ECI-6D

Streamer/endpoint: Zen MKIII/ultraRendu; Speakers: Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature; Cables: Speakers (Acoustic Revive) + RCA (au24sx) + RJ45 (Vodka Audioquest) + USB (Diamond Audioquest) + Power (Pangea's + Actinote's) + iR&oM (Neotech 16AWG OCC Silver + DC 4); Filters/reclockers: Jensen VRD- iFF + Pink Faun Isolator + Acoustic Revive RGC-24 + HMS “The Perfect Match” + isoRegen; Switch: etherRegen + opticalModule; Cisco 2960; LPS: Sboosters MKI & MKII (+ ultra) + HDplex 200 + LPS 1.2

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, soares said:

Just a quick question. I am using the fiber port on the A side. Is there anyone that uses also fiber and prefer the v2? It is just an hypothesis that the decrease of SQ with v2 affects just just the fiber port and not USB. Just a guess...


Alex has explicitly stated that any changes made on v2 firmware did NOT affect the sole optical port on EtherRegen 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jud said:

 just because the difference between no ER and ER 1.0 is greater than the difference between ER 1.0 and ER 1.1.

 

disagree

ER1 and ER2 are two completely different animals

they have different personalities

they are effectively two different products

ER1 earned very near unanimous approval

ER2 is very hifi but some of us feel it is inferior musically

it is fascinating that a single-design product can produce two different outputs the result of fixing an EEE problem and/or ???

the ER clearly has truly massive potential

ER2 doesn't feel like a final solution

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

There are several opinions on V1 and V2. 
Can the people happy with the V2 give some statements about their observations?

 

 

For me, the addition of the ER was very nice.  Lower noise floor and overall increase in clarity.

 

The change from v1 to v2 produced no noticeable change in sound.

 

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jud said:

Jorge, given what Alex has said, can this hypothesis be correct?

You’re right Judd. I just saw Alex post after posting the hypothesis. So it doesn’t make any sense and it should imply that everyone that uses fiber will not hear any improvement from v2, isn’t it? This being said I have the utmost respect and admiration for John and Alex work. I have used over the years their products with great satisfaction but something  seems wrong. But again I will check all my connections specially the ground wires with my other equipment. 

AMP: Electrocompaniet ECI-6D; DAC: Oppo 205 (modded); ECI-6D

Streamer/endpoint: Zen MKIII/ultraRendu; Speakers: Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature; Cables: Speakers (Acoustic Revive) + RCA (au24sx) + RJ45 (Vodka Audioquest) + USB (Diamond Audioquest) + Power (Pangea's + Actinote's) + iR&oM (Neotech 16AWG OCC Silver + DC 4); Filters/reclockers: Jensen VRD- iFF + Pink Faun Isolator + Acoustic Revive RGC-24 + HMS “The Perfect Match” + isoRegen; Switch: etherRegen + opticalModule; Cisco 2960; LPS: Sboosters MKI & MKII (+ ultra) + HDplex 200 + LPS 1.2

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...