IGNORED

EtherREGEN: All posts about firmware moved here

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thanks Alex!!!  Piece of cake.  

I was listening to Art Blakey's Moanin' prior to this.  Either expectation bias has me imagining things - or the sound is now clearer and more focused.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

20 minutes ago, Ehsu said:

Well, if your friend has not heard the prior version then his opinion is totally irrelevant though. I have only been talking about minor differences. V2 is still very good in its own I reckon.

Our own preferences and experiences are different. My wife and I are dancers and have been performing, competing at national level in the past. We always try to have good emotional connection to the music so we have better musicality. In short, we can be very sensitive to emotional changes than some people from years of training. The way I run listening test is how a change in gears or cables affect my connection to the music I am listening. Never much about soundstage, tone or any of these hifi terms. Maybe good timing and rhythm give us that connection? Maybe.

Fair point about my friend not hearing it before.  

When things are framed within the context of “emotional connection”, the focus is on the listener and their reaction.  This can have the benefit of stifling dissent as there is no longer a common frame of reference.  It’s also a terribly unreliable measurement.

The other night I had a strong emotional connection to connecting a $30 Bluetooth speaker to the Amazon Echo Show 5 in my bedroom.  Terrible sound relative to my big rig, but I still smiled and started signing along to “Drive My Car”.  I allowed myself to ignore the sound quality and just enjoy the music as that Bluetooth speaker improved upon the sound of the Echo Show and delivered the best sound I’ve yet had in my bedroom.  That I could make the choice to allow myself to enjoy bad sound quality shows that an “emotional connection” is something our minds and attitude have a big say in.  I think it extremely unfair and bordering on irresponsible to spoil the otherwise wonderful product launch based on finicky emotions - particularly when you haven’t done A/B tests and are solely basing things on memory - that can also be unreliable.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

10 minutes ago, Ehsu said:

How can you say for sure this and that is better when you didn’t A/B it? 

I was very careful to say that there may have been an improvement.  

12 minutes ago, Ehsu said:

@kennyb123 What are you accusing me of? You want to read my first impression above? I was the original tester of the firmware last weekend and I said many “ perhaps” including it could be myself ok? Maybe you confused me with some extreme comments? I have empathized many times that changes are minor but personally I prefer to go back to v1 to be certain about my findings.

I wasn’t trying to criticize a particular person.  I was criticizing the “emotional connection” argument - particularly when used without the ability to A/B.  I apologize for seeming to pick on you specifically.  I had been bothered by a few posts where there was a claim of lost toe tapping after the upgrade.  That you backed this with possible explanations was exactly the right tact to take.

17 hours ago, incus said:

Anyway, the major take-aways are this:

1) Burn is very real with this device and took me through many stages before it more or less settled where it is now. During this process the sound of the etherREGEN changed many times and pinning down its 'sonic signature' is now very difficult for me to do.

2) The EtherRegen allowed to me get rid of my Hugo M-Scaler because it allowed to hear how that device was influencing the sound I was hearing.

I believe what you were able to perceive as far as the M-Scaler was the harm the RF (generated by the M-Scaler Itself) was doing.  I anticipate will come away with a very different impression if you were to place an OPTO DX between your M-Scaler and TT2.  The OPTO DX is a game changer IMHO.  Feel free to send a PM about this as this is off topic for this thread.

2 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

OPTO DX ...? Quick overview, please!

An excellent write-up here:  

Details here: https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/dx-optical-isolation-kit