IGNORED

EtherREGEN: All posts about firmware moved here

I loved the ER and have been raving about it as the best thing ever. I got the Firmware upgrade and installed it a day ago and have to say I don't like it at all. On my rig, there is an over mellow, less real sound signature and yes, the bass is different. It doesn't own its space as per the Mark 1 Firmware. It is swallowed up a bit in the mix and has less of its own life and timing. There is a change in attack and decay (still airy) but now muddled and that sense of toe tapping and energy has dropped off. The crispiness of a steel string sounds indistinct and its all too smooth.

HT doesn't like it either with a noticeable drop off in video naturalness and a more uneven and bombastic dolby. Treble texture and its ability to float in the mix is really compromised.  This added greatly to the "you are there".

Not sure what is going on but to my ears the magic I heard isn't there. I can only think that the guys have spent months and months calibrating this great piece of equipment and then an eleventh hour change may have not had as much on the ground beta.

Luckily there is a roll back file.  I miss the original badly. 

Just a bit of a warning that my experience (rig is ultra high end) has not been good with the upgrade. I didn't have connectivity issues.

Sure - happy to help. I imagine the guys were working for months getting the sound just right and this tweak is more of a reaction to a tech problem that may have sounded ok in transit.  Guys need to be careful here that they don't make wholesale changes without getting a sense of what is going on across systems. I was shocked how badly V2 works on HT re vision and dolby. 

Agree EHSU -I am waiting on the roll back file. I prefer my top end Cisco to V2, I had a high end audio dealer come for a  listen and he thought V2 was a totally different sound - more hi fi and less musical and coherent re the timing. I think there is a real danger here for Uptone re the hundreds of units that are of a different character. I would return a V2 but would walk over hot coals for V1. I have been a musician as well as an audiophile for a long time and I have absolutely no doubt V1 is way more consistent with live presentation - in my rig. (NAGRA Tidal Audio Shunyata full isolation, dedicated lines, Metrum, Weiss). 

I think the point is that V1 was universally seen as brilliant - V2 for me is a backward step (my rig is already at a very engaging level and V2 has sucked it out) and it seems many here have very similar experience. Could be the rig, could be taste, could be different compensatory SQ for system issues etc.... It is important to address this as I see a big risk in returns for the guys at Uptone who are brilliant and genuinely want to hear impressions - otherwise why have a forum. (I had no connectivity issues).

Luckily it appears easily solved - the changes are easy to make. But v1 and v2 are entirely different character and pls be aware of this as V2 is not a better v1. It is different to my ears markedly.  One way for those with HT is to watch a live concert on youtube and you will immediately hear and see how things are really different. Both video and Audio are affected by the way.  Have already posted observations and these seem to be quite consistent with many users. 

If you are making a change - I am not sure whether you can copy that file and pop it back if you dont like it. I dont know whether the roll back file is simply this or a different SW.  I hope it as simple as that to get back V1.