IGNORED

EtherREGEN: All posts about firmware moved here

Instruction were very clear and it just took me a couple of minutes to install the new firmware. Thank you Alex! 
Now the sound. The difference in my system is not subtle. The soundstage is bigger and the clarity increased substantially. But at the same time it seems that the sound is lighter. English is not my mother tongue and as such I have difficulties to explain my preliminar feelings. I regret not have made a copy of the original firmware.

Alex, from what I read, most of us didn’t have any problems with the original firmware. The firmware was not faulty at all.  I am using a Zen MKIII as server and a uR as end point. Between the two an oM and eR. I could also use my STi5   just for HQP purposes. All working fine. I understand that from your point of view giving the users the choice to opt for one or the other firmware would potentially lead to hardware repairs due to the amount of experiences that some of us would engage. However, it is not necessarily the case as the differences are notable. 
So, while I really  appreciated how quickly you and John has provided a solution to the problem some of us were facing, I would equally appreciate if you could provide us with the old firmware for the ones that due to a system particularly transparent might prefer a darker sound! 

Cheers Jorge

P.s. Please don’t tell me as you did earlier that one  might return eR if It is not satisfied...😀

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Oh thank you so much Jud. I will try tomorrow. I have Qubuz and Tidal, so It will be a pleasure to hear your suggestions.I agree with you that I am experiencing additional clarity, and it’s fantastic. The voices are more real. I know it sounds crazy and  but it seems that I am missing is not the bass response but somehow a kind of darker tonality... I am sorry. I really do not intend to cause any misunderstandings.  The eR is really a wonderful device with both firmware. It’s just that my system is perhaps too transparent. Let’s see if Alex will be willing to consider having available the original and the new one. From a marketing perspective I think that would be really incredible 👍

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

17 hours ago, Ehsu said:

What I found is that the whole frequency range from top to bottom is flatter than before so it gives you a different presentation than pre-update. I did notice both top and bottom are more pronounced now so mid range appear less forward. My system is not bright so I have no issues with the top end but I can see why some people in a brighter system may find it a bit much. Still fantastic sounding piece of kit but somehow I am still not sure if I prefer the older firmware or new update after 4 days.

Yes, I definitely think that it is the mid range that appear less forward as there was an increase on the top range, at least. After this holiday I need to take a serious listening. Thanks. 

Luckily I am not the only only one here that is disappointed with the V2 firmware. I had the opportunity to express my views on the thread “eR: installation, use,...”. I really hope hope that Alex will make available the V1 firmware. 

3 hours ago, andresz said:

Hi - I have asked Alex for it, he mentioned it is available. Yes, totally agree that original is way more engaging and toe tapping. My system shows up the slightest change in everything. I listened to a few dozen tracks, watched a movie and didn't like what I heard and saw. In a nutshell that wonderful sense of texture of treble and organics, the placement of instruments as real instruments and not hi fi render that gave me that "we are in the room" was totally absent on Mark 2 Firmware. The strength of V1 is the ability to attack and decay correctly in space. I stream YouTube concerts and it really stands out that V2 isnt rendering the cues as well as V1 when you watch and listen. It is more like an veil that may suit bright systems but sounds unnatural on mine. May be different on varying systems but the difference for me is profound. I am switching back as soon as the roll back file comes.

57 minutes ago, andresz said:

Agree EHSU -I am waiting on the roll back file. I prefer my top end Cisco to V2, I had a high end audio dealer come for a  listen and he thought V2 was a totally different sound - more hi fi and less musical and coherent re the timing.  I think there is a real danger here for Uptone re the hundreds of units that are of a different character. I would return a V2 but would walk over hot coals for V1. I have been a musician as well as an audiophile for a long time and I have absolutely no doubt V1 is way more consistent with live presentation - in my rig. (NAGRA Tidal Audio Shunyata full isolation, dedicated lines, Metrum, Weiss). 

I think the point is that V1 was universally seen as brilliant - V2 for me is a backward step (my rig is already at a very engaging level and V2 has sucked it out) and it seems many here have very similar experience. Could be the rig, could be taste, could be different compensatory SQ for system issues etc.... It is important to address this as I see a big risk in returns for the guys at Uptone who are brilliant and genuinely want to hear impressions - otherwise why have a forum. (I had no connectivity issues).

Luckily it appears easily solved - the changes are easy to make. But v1 and v2 are entirely different character and pls be aware of this as V2 is not a better v1. It is different to my ears markedly.  One way for those with HT is to watch a live concert on youtube and you will immediately hear and see how things are really different. Both video and Audio are affected by the way.  Have already posted observations and these seem to be quite consistent with many users. 

If you are making a change - I am not sure whether you can copy that file and pop it back if you dont like it. I dont know whether the roll back file is simply this or a different SW.  I hope it as simple as that to get back V1. 

I understand your point. I will revert to my Cisco and report back. I can’t really connect with v2. On the contrary v1 was a Cisco on steroids! Much better SQ, much better emotionally connection. Does any one can send me a copy of v1? I would appreciate it. Thank you. Jorge

Just a quick question. I am using the fiber port on the A side. Is there anyone that uses also fiber and prefer the v2? It is just an hypothesis that the decrease of SQ with v2 affects just just the fiber port and not USB. Just a guess...

17 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Chill guys! 9_9

Since John and I are the only people on the planet currently able to compare the current firmware (A/B/A/B) to the original (and despite what someone implied I have not sent a "rollback" file to ANYONE), I'd say it was amusing how a FEW of you are getting hung up on what you THINK you remember the original sounding like.  Only I am not amused, as all you are doing sowing fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

The new firmware--aside from fixing the EEE bug--improves transmit and receive performance of the PHY circuits of the 'A'-side RJ45 ports. That is all. We reserve the right to produce a technically superior product.  Whoever said they thought we spent months "voicing" the EtherREGEN to its original release "sound" and then rushed in a change without listening is 100% wrong on both counts.

I think one vocal person is using only the optical port on the 'A' side and still claiming the new firmware "ruins" the sound him. But the code change we made does not touch the SFP cage's SGMII interface at all, so it is just imagination. 9_9

I am going to listen again myself over the weekend and then make a decision about if we will make the technically poorer performing firmware file available. Until then, please tone it down a bit.  Thanks,

--Alex C. 

It must be me Alex, as I am just using the fiber. 🤪

but I haven’t touch anything on the system. And whether I am having some ear troubles or it’s not my imagination... 

I am sorry Alex, but it’ what I am hearing. I will check tonight if I disconnected anything from my system.

cheers Jorge

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Jorge, given what Alex has said, can this hypothesis be correct?

You’re right Judd. I just saw Alex post after posting the hypothesis. So it doesn’t make any sense and it should imply that everyone that uses fiber will not hear any improvement from v2, isn’t it? This being said I have the utmost respect and admiration for John and Alex work. I have used over the years their products with great satisfaction but something  seems wrong. But again I will check all my connections specially the ground wires with my other equipment. 

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The changes only affect the RJ45 ports on the A side, not the SFP port or the RJ45 port on the B side.

Could you remind me of your connectivity again? Do you have anything else on the A side? I've been racking brain trying to figure out how changes to just the A side RJ45 ports could possible affect anything on the SFP port if there is nothing attached to them. The changes only affects signals on the RJ45 ports, so if nothing is connected then I don't see how anything could possibly be changed.

We do know that sometimes the SFP modules make poor contacts with the connector inside the SFP cage. Could you try taking the optical cable out, pulling out the SFP module, reinsterting it, firmly pushing it in, then reconnect the optical cable and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

John S.

Dear John, thank you for taking your time to reply to my messages. My optimal configuration after many trials was to have my zen mkIII connected directly to the router and also connected over Ethernet to an oM and from it to the eR with fiber. From eR it was connected by Ethernet (b side) to an uR and then usb to an iR connected to my oppo 205 usb input (I had previously a Qutest but preferred the oppo as a Dac). Gianmaria Testa singing “una carezza d’amor” is a good track to evaluate SQ (I know it quite well).  As soon I received the eR I was struck by the impact of Gianmaria voice. Deep and profound. I heard it just before the upgrade. I did the upgrade and everything changed. Not just with this song but many others. I will check tonight all connections and report back but this is not coming from my imagination. I am 54 and This is my hobby for almost 30 years. I don’t doubt that you didn’t touch to the fiber port but something happened.  go figure... This being said I wish you both a excellent and well deserved weekend. I’ll be waiting  for your decision on the former firmware. Thank you. Jorge

Alex, John and you all,

The issues I had experienced with the v2 to a point I was considering to sell my eR are over. 

Following John advice to see if there was a problem with the the ER fiber connector I disconnected and connected again. The same disappointment. 

I decided then to disconnect the fiber and use just the eR With Ethernet to my uR. At the same I was obliged to keep just one of my Ethernet port from my zen ( the lan one). And ... the music was suddenly giving me the same pleasure I got when I received my eR.  

I then reconnected everything as it was before using the 2 ports from my Zen and the fiber port of eR with uR. Everything was there. 

I don’t have any explanation to what was happening with the sound after upgrading to v2. My humble guess is that a software problem in the eR or in my zen was impacting the sound as the power, fiber and Ethernet were well connected. Somehow disconnecting fiber and using Ethernet solved the problem.  Perhaps John or others my come up with some explanation. 

This being said, I thank you all for your patience and support, specially John and Alex. And I no longer need the v1 firmware. 

Warmest regards,

Jorge

1 hour ago, Ehsu said:

Well, that also apply to guys thinking v2 is definitely better though.... you also relied on memory...

and like I said many times since day 1, I asked for v1 so I can go back to compare and make a definite judgement. How can you say for sure this and that is better when you didn’t A/B it? Very irresponsible too I reckon. 
I don’t rely on 1 listening session to say if there is emotional connection or not. I listen 1-2hrs everyday at different time of the day. I totally agree with what you saying about mood etc. but it’s not how I evaluate equipments. 

Well said!

2 hours ago, André Gosselin said:

Do you mean OpticalRendu connected to the fiber port of EtherRegen? Or are you using an opticalModule between the ER fiber port and the ultraRendu ?

Please clarify

Bonsoir André, 

Zen mkIII (streamer port - Ethernet) to oM and then fiber to eR. 
eR (port B - Ethernet) to uR

uR (usb) to iR (usb) to Dac (Oppo 205)

Bien à toi,

Jorge

Might be the explanation...🙄

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

We aside from the obvious--stop moving things around! x-D--I agree that you ought to try another SFP transceiver.  

And John mentioned to me something along the lines of it being possible to have some of the differential pairs of the module not connect well, still have connectivity--but poor sound. Busy day, but maybe he will explain about that more properly at some point.

That might explain what I had experienced Alex... no drop outs but poor sound. This might be a plausible explanation. Unfortunately I related the phenomena with the upgrade because of course I had to move the eR and disconnect the SPF module... and following John advice I checked but probably it was not properly inserted. At the third time it worked. My apologies again.