Kevin Ahern

SMS-200 Repair?

Rate this topic

My SMS-200 appears to have died. It will no longer power on. Any ideas on where I might be able to get it repaired here in the USA? I've contacted SOtM, but figured I survey this group also. Thanks in advanve for your thoughts.

Maybe try Crux Audio. They might be able to direct you. Did you take out and reinsert the SD card?

28 minutes ago, Kevin Ahern said:

There is no LED activity. Seems to be completely dead.

I took a look at the internal pictures, no fuse shows. It looks like there is a main board for the server electronics and a daughter board above it

for the power supply with two molex connections to the main board. Hopefully whats wrong is just the power supply board. Post #177

in the thread below has the board pictures

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, Kevin Ahern said:

I am using a TeraDak DC-30W. I switched to the original wall wart and still nothing.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully you can resolve the issue quickly.

Once when I had a SMS200 the SD somehow got corrupted and the unit seemed totally dead. I downloaded the SD Card Image and got a new SD Card. Once installed it came back to life instantly. I was surprised that a corrupt SD card would make the whole thing look totally dead, but it did.

@Kevin Ahern during the time I owned a sMS ultra I think I got two corrupted SD cards and many times the firmware just went bonkers. Get a new SD card 16Gb class 10 of good quality and download the latest firmware follow the instructions on SOtM webpage to burn the image and hopfully it will come back to life.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC
-> Uptone etherREGEN ->  dCS Network bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

8 hours ago, octaviars said:

@Kevin Ahern during the time I owned a sMS ultra I think I got two corrupted SD cards and many times the firmware just went bonkers. Get a new SD card 16Gb class 10 of good quality and download the latest firmware follow the instructions on SOtM webpage to burn the image and hopfully it will come back to life.

@Kevin Ahern The same thing happened here.  The unit did it to itself... no power outage or anything.  Good recommendation on a new SD card with latest firmware to try to get you up and running again quickly.