IGNORED

Apple TV+ fails on iPhone 11

I connected my iPhone 11 via HDMI to my TV, and watched the first episode of The Morning Show. No problem, played well.

Then I tried to watch the next episode, and it kept failing after less than a minute with ane error "problem loading content. Multiple tries, same exact result. 

Next I tried downloading the episode, and I had to connect to wifi because it would stream but not download over cellular. 

Now I see the error message, "connected device not authorized to play protected content." 

Grrr....  Suggestions?

Also be careful my netflix account has been has been hacked and all my 'recent' viewings are spanish language ones originating in argentina or chile or elsewhere in SA--Netflix erased the account had to get new password happened twice now they assured me nothing was 'compromised' might be worse/easier to hack if you use an iPhone and BTW why would anyone use an iPhone to watch anything?

20 hours ago, bobbmd said:

"...BTW why would anyone use an iPhone to watch anything?"

Good question. I certainly wouldn't want to watch a show or movie on a tiny screen. News, maybe.

AppleTV+ subscription came free for a year with my new iPhone 11, and I want to check out the content. At the moment I don't have cable internet at home, so I tried streaming The Morning Show, an AppleTV+ exclusive program, over the air using my cellular service, connected to my TV via HDMI through the AV adapter I bought at the Apple store. Worked fine for episode one, but not for episode 2. Probably an encoding compatibility issue, I suppose.

On 11/30/2019 at 6:42 AM, kirkmc said:

Are you sure that you're signed in with an Apple ID that has a subscription? I'm pretty sure that at least the first episode is free to watch for anyone. 

Thanks for replying Kirk. I am sure I'm logged in, because I can download episode two, just not play it through the AV adapter to my TV via HDMI. If I try to play the downloaded file I get an error message that the AV adapter cannot process HDR encoded content. so I deleted the downloaded file and tried again to stream it OTA usng my cellular service.  That works if I only watch on the iPhone, but if I try that mirrored to my TV through the AV adapter, it fails with an error message that the attached device is not authorized to play protected content. 

I guess that the first episode, being a teaser available to anyone, is encoded to be as universally compatible as possible, without DRM protection. Episode 2 probably is protected, so fails when iPhone is connected via HDMI. It plays OK when not connected to AV adapter, but I'm not going watch a show or movie on a six inch scree. 

I'll be reconnected to home internet again in a few days, I wonder if the AppleTV app for Roku will allow me to view AppleTV+ shows for free using the AppleTV+ subscription that came with my new iPhone. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

• 4 weeks later...