IGNORED

USB Memory Stick failures

sandyk

USB MEMORY STICK FAILURE.

Has anybody else experienced unexpected catastrophic USB memory stick failures ?
 Last night my grandson transferred a home video of his from his iPhone to a USB memory stick on my PC.
 It played perfctly on my TV from my Oppo 103. He then added another video O.K.
 When he attempted to add another further video he was unable to locate the USB memory stick in "My Computer."
 It was no longer recognised in any USB port or the Oppo 103.
 The USB memory stick was a fairly recent Sandisk 64GB USB 3.0 that had only received occasional use.
 I have never previously had a USB memory stick failure , and I have a couple of very old Corsair USB memory sticks that still perform flawlessly.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Yes ... admittedly it was an Aldi specimen, but I'm pretty sure it came from a standard factory, just like the name brand stuff - completely died, after only rare use over a few years.

I read up on this about a year or so ago, and the clear conclusion was that one would have to be a bit silly to actually rely on these beasts for any sort of serious backup, etc - simple transfers of data between devices, fine, when one can always redo if necessary ... anything really important, no.

A few things to try if not done already. Unplug your computer from power wait a few minutes then see if the usb is detected. Also go to Device Manager ( I'm assuming you have Windows ) and see if the drive is found in the USB section. It may appear as an Unknown Device. If so Right click it and look in Properties for the Driver and update it if necessary. If you're not successful try connecting via a USB hub you have one. Good luck

I had a cheap Chinese Amazon 64gb one fail one me recently, and no amount of fiddling in disc utility would bring it back. That said my wife also washed and dried a new PNY 128gb drive of mine and it still works fine. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.