IGNORED

Article: Dream Music Server Feature: Part 1

19 minutes ago, Jud said:

I didn't know I wanted it until...

A neighbor gave me access to his music on his Plex server. Fun to play with, so I thought I'd do it with my music. However, Plex didn't see any of my music files, which are all AIFF or DSF (a DSD format). At that point I got the bug some of us may recognize: "I am going to do this thing, dammit!" So I researched and came up with Subsonic and AVSub. Having my entire music collection at full res in my pocket whether in the car or exercising (I take several-mile desert walks - you might work out at home or in a gym) has proved to be an unexpected treat that I never knew I was missing.

Maybe, but I would have to remember it's there too. When by myself I almost never listen to anything beyond MPR. When my wife is along for the ride she DJs. Her musical tastes and mine don't always mesh...

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, ednaz said:

I've come up with a somewhat unconventional approach to having my music library, with all its breadth of genres, available to me in my daily drive/distance drive SUV in 16/44 form. Driven heavily by the age related quirks of the vehicle. A 2014 Mercedes SUV. Its Apple iPod connector is the older type, Mercedes doesn't make one for the Lightning type connector, and using an adapter doesn't work well. It'll only play compressed formats from the SD card slot. So my only options for at least Redbook sound is, iPod, or CDs. It supports the full iPod functionality on the system screen.

(With one bizarre alternative... it'll also play DVD-Audio disks in full multi-channel splendor. Great to have a pricey dead format as my only true multi-channel option.)

I picked up a few 64gb iPods with the old style connector cheap on eBay, along with two with the 120gb internal hard drive. Loaded each with a single or compatible genres at 16/44 AAC, and on the non-classical ones, created a couple shuffle playlists. A small CD rack in my closed-top console holds them all. Color coded them with strips of colored plastic tape on the top edge. If I'm in an Afro-beat mood, I grab the relevant iPod, plug it into the adapter, and off I go bouncing down the road.

As for Qobuz, I load the app on my phone with my current interests, along with a few hours of Radio Paradise at lossless AAC, but can only stream via bluetooth, and for whatever reason, doesn't sound as good as the array of iPods. Good enough.

I've yet to find someone who'll help me get the built in idiotically small hard disk out of the system so that I can install a plug in for external hard disks. That's going to be my goal for the next car.

Get the new GLS and you can literally "bounce" down the road...

https://www.motor1.com/news/354303/mercedes-gls-bounce-out-sand/

No electron left behind.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Jud said:

Yep, same with Comcast (and I assume Verizon). After 20 GB, your cell service is “throttled.”

So I wait until 10 days before the billing cycle ends to stream hi res, since during my daily walks and the few times I drive, I use about 2GB per day.

AT&T let me get to 86GB before they called me to see WTF I was doing, haha. SO now if I stream over a cell network it's rarely, and at CD quality.

No electron left behind.