IGNORED

Suggestion for AO 3.1

dminches

Phil, have you thought about allowing for the optimization settings to be stored in a file so if one resets everything in order to perform a Windows update or some other update they can point to that file to re-optimize?  That would be very helpful so one doesn't have to re-answer all the questions.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Hi David

Yes indeed, many times of course. We are aware that this is a feature that many people are waiting for. Sadly it will not be possible to offer this feature in the near future, we are very sorry :(

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

1 hour ago, AudioPhil said:

Yes indeed, many times of course. We are aware that this is a feature that many people are waiting for. Sadly it will not be possible to offer this feature in the near future, we are very sorry :(

Seems like a very good idea.  Is there a technical obstacle, or is this feature just not a development priority?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

It's actually a myriad of technical issues and potential disruptions of allready beautifully working things. It does really really look bad for this feature :(

____________________________________________________________________________________

• 2 months later...

We just started the work on AO 3.10 beta so now is a very good time to list wishes and ideas. 👍🏼

so far fixed is to add support for HQPlayer 4 and a fix for french windows 10. rest is working fine and no issues with AO 3.00 since release.

please keep the ideas coming!

I would like to further reduce the number of active services in Win 10 Pro. In custom shell mode I'm down to 70 processes. Without remote controll there are only 60 processes.

37952656av.png

I currently only achieve this by manually deactivating services in the registry. It can be found in the following path: Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services. This is my list. Syntax: technical service name, default setting under start, function description in German. it would be nice to be able to automate this with AO. 😉

37952657sd.png

Thanks for the input. A few on the list will lead to issues long term, but i'll have a closer look at it 👍🏼

Over at Taiko Audio Emilie has been using Win10 LTSC. Given all the reports (and the price) this is the state of the art music server. Emilie has reached a conclusion that Win10 LTSC allows the best sound quality by installing only the necessary parts and has the smallest footprint even compare to the WS variants, surpasses all other OS. However, he has to do hundreds of installs to determine the optimal set of services to retain. It'd be nice to have something similar for AO - a custom script or something that allows Win10 LTSC minimal installation.

I know how you feel about Win10 being the worse among all windows OS. However, I'm curious if you have or going to look at Win 10 LTSC?

1 hour ago, shahed99 said:

Over at Taiko Audio Emilie has been using Win10 LTSC. Given all the reports (and the price) this is the state of the art music server. Emilie has reached a conclusion that Win10 LTSC allows the best sound quality by installing only the necessary parts and has the smallest footprint even compare to the WS variants, surpasses all other OS. However, he has to do hundreds of installs to determine the optimal set of services to retain. It'd be nice to have something similar for AO - a custom script or something that allows Win10 LTSC minimal installation.

I know how you feel about Win10 being the worse among all windows OS. However, I'm curious if you have or going to look at Win 10 LTSC?

It is already supported by AO.

Do you know the ServiceTool's "Strip down Windows 10" feature?

@AudioPhil Wow - I didn't know this. Will definitely check it out. I'm guessing that this strip down W10 applies to IoT LTSC version as well? I think Emilie suggested that they remove the service from installation media first to have a smaller footprint as oppose to install everything and then disable it. Not sure if that makes a difference. I'm adding his response below.

Btw, I'm guessing you didn't like the sound of W10 even after using stripping down features? I'm curious if you've tried the LTSC version. As another data point - after extensive listening I'm moved back to AO3.0 optimized WS2016 from AO3.0 optimized WS2019 as the former sounds more harmonically rich on my system.

Emilie's response: "That's a lot of trial and error, we do take a different approach, we start out with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC which is a stripped down version of Windows for devices requiring stable performance over time, like cash registers, industrial appliances etc. It is only available to OEM system builders. This is actually a lighter weight system then Windows Server "out of the box", but we do subsequently modify it, this is quite common for OEM system builders and there are a wide range of tools available to do so. A lof of components we do not need for music playback cannot be removed or disabled after Windows has been installed, so we remove them from the installation media before they are installed. Do be prepared to allocate considerable time before attempting this yourself as removing something can lead to all sorts of unpredictable results. Our current software installation probably took hundreds of reinstalls to get where we are now. A faster way is to look around on GitHub, where several people have shared scripts to create a stripped windows installation media, do read the feedback first if these are operating reliably."