IGNORED

USBridge Signature Player - Airplay Help

RobGreen

Hi,

I have the USBridge Signature Player as a USB transport in my system.  It works great with Roon, outputting audio over USB to my Kii Three control module / speakers.

I have recently tried to get the Airplay function to work (using Shairport that comes pre-installed on the DietPi software with the Signature Player) and have had no luck.  I can connect to the player and the audio is being streamed from my device, but no audio output is being sent via USB to the Kii Threes.  Can you please help?

I found this thread (https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2365) which talks about the possibility of the default audio playback device being set incorrectly in the Shairport config, but my SSH skills are not up to the task of testing this theory out.  For clarity, I am looking to also send the Airplay output over USB.  I have updated to the latest DietPi software from Allo and can confirm that the Shairport service is running from the Allo web interface when I login to the Signature Player.

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

I don't use airplay, but might be able to give some advice anyway.

If you type the following on the command line via ssh

aplay -l

It should list your audio output devices.  See what it says, likely no usb dac will be listed if its not working.

Your link had this in it

If i disable Shairport from web GUI and launch Shairport from command line audio is playing correctly:

if you want to try this, disable sharepoint from web (I don't use the gui, so I don't know how to do this)

Then from ssh, type

systemctl start shairport-sync

This will start shairport from command line, see if it works now.

Then try again this line, and see what it says

aplay -l

You might need to edit the alsa file in the end to fix this, its not as bad as it seems.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the help.  I typed the command you suggested and can see the following:

root@DietPi:~# aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]

Subdevices: 7/7

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

Subdevice #2: subdevice #2

Subdevice #3: subdevice #3

Subdevice #4: subdevice #4

Subdevice #5: subdevice #5

Subdevice #6: subdevice #6

card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]

Subdevices: 1/1

card 1: Control [Kii Control], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

Subdevices: 1/1

I then tried disabling Shairport in the GUI and used your command to start it again and received the following:

root@DietPi:~# systemctl start shairport-sync

Failed to start shairport-sync.service: Unit shairport-sync.service is masked.

Not sure if you are able to offer any further advice, but thank you for your help thus far.

Regards

Rob

Edit - A little bit of Googling suggested that I try this:

root@DietPi:~# systemctl unmask shairport-sync

Removed /etc/systemd/system/shairport-sync.service.

root@DietPi:~# systemctl start shairport-sync

The service is now showing as active in the GUI again but still no audio output from airplay (and it looks like it is streaming fine).

OK, I've sorted it and I feel a little dumb.

Following the above, I checked the 'System Settings' in the GUI and changed the 'SoundCard' from the default of 'rpi-bcm2835-ultrahq' to 'usb-dac', saved and restarted and it all seems to work.

It's strange that Roon worked fine without this setting being changed - I guess that just a difference in the codebase?

I hope this helps someone else in the future.

@randytsuch - Thanks again for your help.

29 minutes ago, RobGreen said:

OK, I've sorted it and I feel a little dumb.

Following the above, I checked the 'System Settings' in the GUI and changed the 'SoundCard' from the default of 'rpi-bcm2835-ultrahq' to 'usb-dac', saved and restarted and it all seems to work.

It's strange that Roon worked fine without this setting being changed - I guess that just a difference in the codebase?

I hope this helps someone else in the future.

@randytsuch - Thanks again for your help.

Glad you got it sorted out.

And nice of you to post the solution.  Sometimes people fix their problem and disappear, so you don't know what happened, or how they solved it.

Randy