IGNORED

Article: Allo USBridge Sig Review

4 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

My USBridge sig arrives today - I went for the eMMC version as this frees up the SDcard slot.  I'm wondering if payback direct from SDcard is possible and if it also sound better than a network source.  I look forward to testing!

Does the eMMC version sound any better than the SD card version. Are the any advantages with having the OS run off eMMC?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

5 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

I don't know - but I intend to find out over the weekend!

eMMC should be lower latency as it's located on the Raspberry Pi compute module.

I’m thinking of ordering a Allo Sig as a result of this review, but haven’t decided to go for eMMC version. I read somewhere that Allo had optimised the power supply for the SD card, and I assume they couldn’t do that if the eMMC is on the compute module board. So that may or may not be an issue - if the eMMC is getting the same cleaned power as the rest of the compute module it won’t be. That and as long as you can run off both eMMC or SD card with a different boot setting I think I’ll go for eMMC.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

1 hour ago, allo.com said:

Hi

please note we are not using eMMC on RPI CM. Instead we made a eMMC that plugs into the SD card with an adapter . The advantage is not faster speed ,but we are observing less corruptions happening on the eMMC compared with SD cards.

Interesting, thanks for that

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Casper said:

I looked at Rigelian, and see that it’s a subscription model software; but I can’t find any information about the pricing - what does it cost?

Cheers,

I paid 3.49 euros for a year's subscription.

1 hour ago, Gavin1977 said:

As soon as they add in streaming services then I'm in!

Rigelian is an MPD client and so it isn't its job to implement streaming services. That would be done by the server end software running MPD, such as moOde.