IGNORED

Article: Allo USBridge Sig Review

Hello

we are working on a software that will be ALLO official version for USbridge based on Moode. We have some big surprises coming...

We are also working on better documentation , meanwhile.

Please note that we have dedicated tech suport and we are making every effort to take care of every customer , however due to the fact that there are many open source players (Moode , Volumio , Ropiee , PcP , Max2play etc) its rather both an advantage and disadvantage .  Advantage is that each of those players will give you the power of open source , updated very often .

Of course disadvantage is that its rather harder to use and take some getting used to . Overall we think its a positive. As long as you know how to play with a router setting (for example) you will be able to use Usbridge Sig with most OS (most players have GUIs)

I see that above someone suggested it will be easier to use Pro-Ject (*easier to use) Note that that particular hardware uses Volumio player ... you can get the same player on Usbridge Sig

At last , next time you buy a DAC , please ask the manufacturer if its compatible with Linux on DSD (only DSD has issues on Linux) . Linux audio is here to stay and  will probably grow in the upcoming years.

Dear Gavin

USbridge Sig is just hardware outputting digital signal . We concentrated on reducing any noise on the hardware bus.

As such USbridge does not have a sound signature . I think that you are referring more to the combination of software that might change how you perceive sound .

Yes you can play with any EQ and try finding a sound thats more to your liking , its all in software .

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ifi power is rather bad . The LPS  what noise and power rating ?Do you have the make ? I will try to see if I can find any numbers (noise) on it.

Its rather strange that RPI sounds better than USbridge sig , there must be a cause.

My first instinct ,  there is an issue with the power feed . We designed Shanti with USBridge in mind. For example you say that your power is linear regulated, while thats fine generally , Shanti has a massive F capacitance at the output (after regulators) . Linear regulator does not behave best on a dynamic load,

Alternatively , I am aware of the AudioGD hardware . While test results (THD) is not the whole story , this particular brand , tests rather ..bad.  I am saying this , because a few months back I received a report that an AudioGD Dac paired with a Digione Sig was inferior to a rather low hardware (spidif signal) that was tested to have much more jitter on the output.

Ifi power on internal testing under real conditions (the numbers they quote are with isolation transformers) was about 6uV (including mains) from 0-20Khz

However that is differential noise. In addition to differential noise (6uV is good) we have common mode noise and leakage currents noise .  IFI psu , like any SMPS thats not earthed has (rather big) leakage current noise thats ,of course not accounted for .on marketing data .

I do not recommend it .

Hi Dyna

the link from zackthedog is correct , thats what to use if you want to use a CM with eMMC.

Regarding the power , I briefly spoke about common mode noise , I did not see excessive amount of it on IFI.

Meanwhile  I did focus on "leakage currents" and IF (like all SMPS without protective earth)  has lots . I believe there are other threads on forums where the issue is discussed at lengths . There are even  solutions (some wire on DC Gnd connected to earth)

I think that AudioGD is an acquired taste (generally speaking) . One of my new Dacs (Revolution) has the ability to change harmonics (H2 and H3) amplitude and the perception of sound changes . Looking at most AudioGD tests the harmonics are different that most DACs (and rather very high) and its my opinion (not backed by any scientific data) that it has a particular sound .

Usbridge Sig does output a very clean interface to any DACs and we are seeing a small change in H amplitude as a result .  Maybe its just that a particular preference of sounds changes because of that..

I would try changing the IFI PSU, then try to get any other DAC and check if USbridge Sig brings an improvement .