Jump to content

Recommended Posts

In the never-ending attempt to have an organized loom of wires behind my audio equipment, a new question arises.

How short can ethernet cables be and function properly?  I have not seen what is generally considered audiophile cable manufactures that have short, say 12" cables. I do have .5 meter but still a bit to long. 

Do any of you use short cables or just do your best to organize?

 

Thanks

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, brad225 said:

In the never-ending attempt to have an organized loom of wires behind my audio equipment, a new question arises.

How short can ethernet cables be and function properly?  I have not seen what is generally considered audiophile cable manufactures that have short, say 12" cables. I do have .5 meter but still a bit to long. 

Do any of you use short cables or just do your best to organize?

 

Thanks

 

 

Ethernet max length is 100 feet before using a switch.

Current:  JRiver 26 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - PS Audio S300 - Kenwood L-07M's - Pioneer M-22

Speakers: Royd Doublets - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - KEF LS50 - ELAC unifi UB5's - Linn Tukans - others......

Cables:Tara Labs and DiMarzio Interconnects and Homebrew speaker cables

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One and a half said:

Thought it was 100m ?

 

Sorry 100 meters - you are right :D

Current:  JRiver 26 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - PS Audio S300 - Kenwood L-07M's - Pioneer M-22

Speakers: Royd Doublets - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - KEF LS50 - ELAC unifi UB5's - Linn Tukans - others......

Cables:Tara Labs and DiMarzio Interconnects and Homebrew speaker cables

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Speedskater said:

That was just another audiophile misunderstanding.


Fiber connections have minimum cable lengths due to level requirements on received signals.[36] Fiber ports designed for long-haul wavelengths require a signal attenuator if used within a building.


10BASE2 installations, running on RG-58 coaxial cable, require a minimum of 0.5 m between stations tapped into the network cable, this is to minimize reflections.[37]

 

10BASE-T, 100BASE-T, and 1000BASE-T installations running on twisted pair cable use a star topology. No minimum cable length is required for these networks.
 

From Wikipedia topic, Ethernet.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, One and a half said:

10BASE2 installations, running on RG-58 coaxial cable, require a minimum of 0.5 m between stations tapped into the network cable, this is to minimize reflections.

See that's how audiophile misunderstandings get started. They take information out of context and mis-apply it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 7:43 AM, One and a half said:

Going back a time now, but recall the minimum length from a switch to a device was 1m from the CAT5 days. 
Maybe it was a limitation on what was behind the RJ45 in the switch?


Depending on the equipment being connected shorter lengths may work. The 1m rule is to make sure there is enough capacitance for the PHY tranceivers to work correctly. Some switches add capacitors to make sure shorter lengths will work. Some do not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

Depending on the equipment being connected shorter lengths may work. The 1m rule is to make sure there is enough capacitance for the PHY tranceivers to work correctly. Some switches add capacitors to make sure shorter lengths will work. Some do not. 

What is your source for this? I can't find a mention of a minimum load capacitance in the Ethernet spec or in any of a few phy datasheets I checked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 7:45 PM, One and a half said:


Fiber connections have minimum cable lengths due to level requirements on received signals.[36] Fiber ports designed for long-haul wavelengths require a signal attenuator if used within a building.


10BASE2 installations, running on RG-58 coaxial cable, require a minimum of 0.5 m between stations tapped into the network cable, this is to minimize reflections.[37]

 

10BASE-T, 100BASE-T, and 1000BASE-T installations running on twisted pair cable use a star topology. No minimum cable length is required for these networks.
 

From Wikipedia topic, Ethernet.

So no minimum cable length then... were you making a point? as no one has used RG-58 for years, if ever in the home and as to long haul fibre!!! if so it was pointless. LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 10:50 PM, Samuel T Cogley said:

There is no minimum length in the 802.3 spec that I can find.  But I did find this 😎

 

image.png.73cd6c52d906c2d5a36c9a65f9983d48.png

I was going to say as long as you can wire it up, that is just silly though...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...