IGNORED

Ethernet Cable length

In the never-ending attempt to have an organized loom of wires behind my audio equipment, a new question arises.

How short can ethernet cables be and function properly?  I have not seen what is generally considered audiophile cable manufactures that have short, say 12" cables. I do have .5 meter but still a bit to long. 

Do any of you use short cables or just do your best to organize?

Thanks

33 minutes ago, brad225 said:

In the never-ending attempt to have an organized loom of wires behind my audio equipment, a new question arises.

How short can ethernet cables be and function properly?  I have not seen what is generally considered audiophile cable manufactures that have short, say 12" cables. I do have .5 meter but still a bit to long. 

Do any of you use short cables or just do your best to organize?

Thanks

Ethernet max length is 100 feet before using a switch.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 minute ago, One and a half said:

Thought it was 100m ?

Sorry 100 meters - you are right :D

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

2 hours ago, Speedskater said:

That was just another audiophile misunderstanding.

Fiber connections have minimum cable lengths due to level requirements on received signals.[36] Fiber ports designed for long-haul wavelengths require a signal attenuator if used within a building.

10BASE2 installations, running on RG-58 coaxial cable, require a minimum of 0.5 m between stations tapped into the network cable, this is to minimize reflections.[37]

10BASE-T, 100BASE-T, and 1000BASE-T installations running on twisted pair cable use a star topology. No minimum cable length is required for these networks.

From Wikipedia topic, Ethernet.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 11/25/2019 at 7:43 AM, One and a half said:

Going back a time now, but recall the minimum length from a switch to a device was 1m from the CAT5 days. 
Maybe it was a limitation on what was behind the RJ45 in the switch?

Depending on the equipment being connected shorter lengths may work. The 1m rule is to make sure there is enough capacitance for the PHY tranceivers to work correctly. Some switches add capacitors to make sure shorter lengths will work. Some do not. 

31 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

Depending on the equipment being connected shorter lengths may work. The 1m rule is to make sure there is enough capacitance for the PHY tranceivers to work correctly. Some switches add capacitors to make sure shorter lengths will work. Some do not. 

What is your source for this? I can't find a mention of a minimum load capacitance in the Ethernet spec or in any of a few phy datasheets I checked.

On 11/25/2019 at 7:45 PM, One and a half said:

Fiber connections have minimum cable lengths due to level requirements on received signals.[36] Fiber ports designed for long-haul wavelengths require a signal attenuator if used within a building.

10BASE2 installations, running on RG-58 coaxial cable, require a minimum of 0.5 m between stations tapped into the network cable, this is to minimize reflections.[37]

10BASE-T, 100BASE-T, and 1000BASE-T installations running on twisted pair cable use a star topology. No minimum cable length is required for these networks.

From Wikipedia topic, Ethernet.

So no minimum cable length then... were you making a point? as no one has used RG-58 for years, if ever in the home and as to long haul fibre!!! if so it was pointless. LOL