IGNORED

Linn Kazoo

I’m listening to Tidal via Linn Kazoo on my Ultrarendu using a Dragonfly Cobalt directly attached to a Schiit Aegir amplifier. It’s a nice combination which I find sounds subjectively better than ROON. Since I’m using the Dragonfly as a line out, I set the DAC volume to maximum in the Ultrarendu and use the Kazoo volume slider to control listening levels. Can anyone tell me how the Kazoo volume change is working? Am I changing the digital volume in the Cobalt, or is it a software volume change in Kazoo? I’m curious. 

On 11/23/2019 at 11:33 AM, GrahamJohnMiles said:

I’m listening to Tidal via Linn Kazoo on my Ultrarendu using a Dragonfly Cobalt directly attached to a Schiit Aegir amplifier. It’s a nice combination which I find sounds subjectively better than ROON. Since I’m using the Dragonfly as a line out, I set the DAC volume to maximum in the Ultrarendu and use the Kazoo volume slider to control listening levels. Can anyone tell me how the Kazoo volume change is working? Am I changing the digital volume in the Cobalt, or is it a software volume change in Kazoo? I’m curious.

You appear to have fallen in the common misconception trap that the UPnP controller (eg the Linn Kazoo app which is an OpenHome, aka UPnP with Linn extensons, controller) has anything to do with the audio that the UPnP renderer (eg the Sonore ultraRendu with its output mode set to 3a/DLNA and configured as an OpenHome renderer) is playing.

The Linn Kazoo app 'merely' gives the ultraRendu the list of TIDAL tracks for the ultraRendu to use as its current playlist and for the ultraRendu to itself fetch from TIDAL's online server and play. Likewise, as with all true remote controls, all of Linn Kazoo's control functions are actually being sent to the ultraRendu to perform, so including volume control.

So your question should be directed to Sonore as to whether the ultraRendu is using a software volume control or not, when using the Dragonfly Cobalt as its DAC and with its output mode set to 3a/DLNA & configured as an OpenHome renderer.

BTW, this is totally different to when the ultraRendu's output mode is set to 5/RoonReady, so operating as a Roon Endpoint (and probably contributed to you thinking that the Linn Kazoo app had something to do with the audio). In this case the Roon Core server is itself receiving the tracks from TIDAL's online server, playing them and the resulting audio output is what is sent by the Roon Core Server over the network to the ultraRendu as a Roon Endpoint.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox