IGNORED

CPU Load and Sound Quality

STC

1 minute ago, Albrecht said:

"naysayers?"

"hostile?"

"Mommy, - I am not the angry bully on the schoolyard hurling insults, really I'm not."

Ralf, you wouldn't be able to respond to this. Logically not.

Let's ask Alex.

PS: I usually post past bed time. Sadly.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

I can't get the translation to Anglais.  Am I in Dutch with you?

Something like:

I can't get no satisfaction. Maybe we try 69 ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

@STC, can you please control this thread adequately - it is going nowhere suddenly.

An hour ago all was still fine.

XXHighEnd (developer)

16 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

OK thanks for that, I think it is actually a fun hobby and I think disagreeing can be part of the fun.

Sorry, Richard I couldn’t help myself and hit the Disagree button on your post just to well disagree for no reason at all.

All I can say is I welcome all opinions whether I agree with them or not and you are correct that is part of the fun.

Happy disagreeing! 😊

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

17 hours ago, sandyk said:

A couple of days ago I saw a series of glamour photographs, where a couple of the series needed a little sharpening to match the rest of the series. ( I was bored , and needed something to pass time)¬¬

Rather than use Photoshop to perform the sharpening action on the whole series , which is fiddly and takes a while to set up, I coped them to USB memory with the USB Regen in line,  powered directly from a 12V Li Ion battery and saved them back to the original HDD. The USB Regen files were in this case sharpened to perfection  when compared with the other series, and in a small fraction of the time it would have taken when using Photoshop.

Alex,

As much as you might know about Audio, Digital Photography seems to be somewhat outside of your area of knowledge. What you are describing is correctly identified as "Acutance" which Wikipedia defines as "a subjective perception of sharpness that is related to the edge contrast of an image". Photoshop and other image programs simulate this with a techniques called Unsharp Masking which is the digital version of a technique used in Analog Photography whereby a slightly soft mask was sandwiched in register with a negative or transparency to increase contrast along edges of detail. It does not actually increase sharpness, it just appears sharper to the eye. In Digital Photography this technique is accomplished by adding dark pixels on one side of a line and light pixels on the other side of it. The width of these added pixels is varied depending on resolution of the image and a number of other factors. There is absolutely no possibility that the USB Regen could do anything that would correctly add those extra pixels to your images. Absolutely NONE.

I never realized there are so many ten year olds into digital audio, and so many that can go on and on about it in thousands of posts. It gets really really old sometimes. Children are great - I have two mod them - but we're also teaching them the responsibilities that come with maturing, like when and where to keep your opinions to yourself. 

Time to grow the f*%k up a little around here - as I say often, it's only STUFF. Don't take it so damn personally, and don't take it out on another person because you think they're wrong and you are right. And if all you can add to a conversation is thousands of one lined barbs or huge diatribes about being poor me and those internet bullies, then maybe it's time to find a new hobby/life. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 minute ago, daverich4 said:

As much as you might know about Audio, Digital Photography seems to be somewhat outside of your area of knowledge. What you are describing is correctly identified as "Acutance" which Wikipedia defines as "a subjective perception of sharpness that is related to the edge contrast of an image". Photoshop and other image programs simulate this with a techniques called Unsharp Masking which is the digital version of a technique used in Analog Photography whereby a slightly soft mask was sandwiched in register with a negative or transparency to increase contrast along edges of detail. It does not actually increase sharpness, it just appears sharper to the eye. In Digital Photography this technique is accomplished by adding dark pixels on one side of a line and light pixels on the other side of it. The width of these added pixels is varied depending on resolution of the image and a number of other factors.

Another way of describing the process is as a (weak) high-pass filter.

1 minute ago, daverich4 said:

There is absolutely no possibility that the USB Regen could do anything that would correctly add those extra pixels to your images. Absolutely NONE.

Of course not. It works by sharpening the digital bits making up the file. Or something.

18 hours ago, sandyk said:

A couple of days ago I saw a series of glamour photographs, where a couple of the series needed a little sharpening to match the rest of the series. ( I was bored , and needed something to pass time)¬¬

Rather than use Photoshop to perform the sharpening action on the whole series , which is fiddly and takes a while to set up, I coped them to USB memory with the USB Regen in line,  powered directly from a 12V Li Ion battery and saved them back to the original HDD. The USB Regen files were in this case sharpened to perfection  when compared with the other series, and in a small fraction of the time it would have taken when using Photoshop.

He can't be serious. Or can he? Thing is, vision is a very different sense than hearing. So in audio it's possible to hear things from certain improvements such as the Regen, but those improvements don't translate into other digital or sensory realms. Sharpening in photography is all predicated first on the sensor and lenses used, (and focusing technique) and then on the software. Bizarre...

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This topic didn't even make it one complete page without the same people bickering over the same old subjects. This is tiring. Everyone needs to get over it. Both sides. 

Yes it could have been an interesting topic to discuss that I like to know more about.

My hypotheses is that a higher CPU load can have a small impact on SQ. My assumption is based the below 3 aspects.

1.  Higher CPU load means more digital processing which I believe (everything else equal) will generate more EMI and RF noise. 

2. Higher CPU load generate more heat which can inflict negatively on other components on the MB and how they operate, but it will depend on design and topology of the PC/server.

3. Higher CPU load will need more power and more power (everything else equal) generate more HF noise.

The question for me is how much higher CPU load dose it takes before we can perceive and measure any difference. Is it 1, 5 or 50 %?

Also is it better to get a bigger CPU that can do the same operations with lower CPU load or will the result be the same in the end?