IGNORED

CPU Load and Sound Quality

STC

15 minutes ago, firedog said:

Not so much. There's a lot of suggestion causing groupthink in audio. That's a lot of what the audio press does. It conditions you to hear certain things, so you tend to hear them. None of that rises to level of proof, or even to what in science would be considered a legit "observation". So lots of people saying they hear something proves zip on it's own. Especially when you can find lots of other people who don't hear that same audio phenomenon.

Just b/c lots of people say MQA sounds amazing and revolutionary doesn't mean it does....

While  I agree with what you are saying here, Technical training and the use of Textbooks will do the exact same conditioning  as the Audio press may do for some people.

Yes, MQA is shit, and is not needed or wanted by consumers in general,  and is only designed to swell the bank balance of it's inventor and his Industry supporters . Unfortunately, most consumers will never get to hear the original high res versions to realise this .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, mansr said:

I guess that spacer.png means he agrees.

Extremely small differences to those with average equipment,  can often be very obvious, even annoying in some cases,  to those using more revealing equipment.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

9 minutes ago, firedog said:

Not so much. There's a lot of suggestion causing groupthink in audio. That's a lot of what the audio press does. It conditions you to hear certain things, so you tend to hear them. None of that rises to level of proof, or even to what in science would be considered a legit "observation". So lots of people saying they hear something proves zip on it's own. Especially when you can find lots of other people who don't hear that same audio phenomenon.

Just b/c lots of people say MQA sounds amazing and revolutionary doesn't mean it does....

Well, - your observational statement may be true as far as the "audio press" (there isn't really an audio press), - especially as I believe that you are referring to in the online sites like Six Moons, Soundstage, & print like What HiFi, Stereophile, Absolute Sound etc. Yes, - there is bandwagon jumping, - like other art-crafts reviews, - like movies.

That's an entirely different experience than evaluating equipment and room treatments in playing back a recording. Meaning, - one does not hear the results of group-think when conducting BETTER tests and evaluations. There are many reasons why Ed Meitner's DACs are indeed better than many others, - and NONE of it has to do with groupthink as the test of time is in direct contradiction to the fad of groupthink.

Your example of MQA is almost spot on. (And, I do say almost as in some cases, - MQA DOES sound better. In that, if you compare MQA on a $70K system, - it's going to sound better than a Sharp boom-box. There will always be a misapplication of components). MQA can sound "better" or "worse" depending on the context.

" So lots of people saying they hear something proves zip on it's own."

Do you think that i was saying that? If so, - that would be a straw man. As thorough, listening comparisons, measurements, internal components/parts evaluations, design topology, are all parts of this evaluation process. (Blind and Sighted: in addition to evidence gathering in evaluating products in many different contexts, - all play a part in the gathering of evidence and knowledge that has formed a relative consensus).

The goal is not whether any particular DAC has the lowest jitter, (even though that can certainly help), the goal is whether that DAC makes the recording & listening experience "sound good" according to the person who likes listening to the recording(s). You can speculate about it or you can actually test (listen) to it....

Yes, there is group-think and bandwagon jumping and fads, - but those don't last for long, and the cream gets to the top and fads that don't actually perform better, go away pretty fast....look at the colossal failure of MQA.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Just because you have great speakers does NOT mean that the quality of the source material or the amplification does not matter.

You haven't mentioned either how your CDs are ripped. It does make a huge difference as others have reported and verified.

Let's not further pollute this thread with the idiotic bad ripping crap.

8 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Let's not further pollute this thread with the idiotic bad ripping crap.

Unfortunately for you , your mishmash of gear is not letting you hear what your system should be capable of hearing and SEEING  what should be obvious to most people. Just keep throwing more money at it Sunshine.

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Go post on my Improve My System thread.

Why ?

So you can remove all the posts from me that you don't like ? >:(

1 minute ago, mansr said:

One full week and 16 pages later, why are you still here? I'm starting to think you might not be trustworthy.

Perhaps because I refuse to be bullied by the likes of a closed minded Troll,( by your own admission) , like  you ?

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps because I refuse to be bullied by the likes of a closed minded Troll,( by your own admission) , like  you ?

What about the likes of open minded Trolls?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

9 minutes ago, STC said:

Alex, since you believe what you believe, may I ask whether have you considered that the storage in HDD could be on a different platter and that contributed to the difference?

Just asking. ;)  

Almost all storage mediums sound a little different, including as some members have reported recently, even the types of RAM used.

I will leave it at that on this thread .

1 minute ago, PeterSt said:

Sure ?

Peter

It's not worth the trouble posting anything like this until past bedtime for the resident naysayers , where it would at least remain in view for a little longer instead of being pushed back out of view by several pages from the hostile reactions of the usual Anti  Subjective mob.

Why do you bother posting here ?

14 minutes ago, STC said:

may I ask whether have you considered that the storage in HDD could be on a different platter and that contributed to the difference?

Make several partitions/volumes on the disk, span those volumes, apply some special RAID and the lot is everywhere.

You now can be assured that parts of your songs sound the best.

The additional head movements nicely smears-in some noise, as long as you don't cache too much to 1866 special low voltage memory at the inner side, left of the CPU (but utilize the six lanes).

Putting the disk upside down generally does not matter, and putting it sideways eliminates the effect all together. In any event apply a 12V ultra low ripple, high transient PSU at at least 2 meters distance.

Put your chair on an anti static mat to protect from ESD, especially when you are smoking (chain smokers are OK with this anyway).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge

Hey, this shouldn't be drawn out of context.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

40 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

You've identified yourself as a "Knowledgeable Listener" just above - one who does not need to consider actual science on perception when listening to audio systems.

This shows that you are not knowledgeable.

It is clear that you have little to no understanding of the principles, nor the definition, of what scientific investigation means or is...

"You've identified yourself as a "Knowledgeable Listener" just above"

not true

""This shows that you are not knowledgeable."

not a logical deduction, -

AND, - a little training in Science, Reason, Logic, and the fallacies would help you not only with your ability to produce cogent arguments, - but also help you to acquire knowledge based on evidentiary principles (and not wild hearsay) and appeals to an (alleged) authority figure.

You can really do science for yourself, - it's fun.....

9 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

with ' It's not worth the trouble posting anything like this until past bedtime for the resident naysayers , where it would at least remain in view for a little longer instead of being pushed back out of view by several pages from the hostile reactions of the usual Anti  Subjective mob.'