IGNORED

CPU Load and Sound Quality

STC

Theresa - yes, I am using the NuForce and it sounds marginally better than my Sunfire (sold) despite the current capacity of the latter.  I posted a thread on here about the NuForce - it seems there is some merit to the wide-adwidth design (or something else - no way to tell).

You will also be pleased to learn that I was able to buy it on sale - an even bigger sale than they usually have

hard to delete this for some reason:

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

transactional analysis 

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

There are also plenty of non-experts who manage to accept advice without being rude.

That’s a good thing then.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

What counts is what it sounds like.  I can assure you that the "Oppo BDP-205 fed from Apple TV3 over WiFi via Airplay from an iMac for ripped CDs" chain cannot be distinguished from direct CD play nor from the CD layer of an SACD vs. the wifi send.

Just because you have great speakers does NOT mean that the quality of the source material or the amplification does not matter.

You haven't mentioned either how your CDs are ripped. It does make a huge difference as others have reported and verified.

If you wish to further improve your sound you should investigate areas such as Ethernet  and see if it is possible to use it.   

Although Oppo players do a way better than average job , a high quality DAC with the Oppo used only as a transport can  often result in further improvements . An Oppo 205 is also capable of being even further improved, as are all Oppo models. There are even complete aftermarket Linear PSU s that can be directly bolted in to some Oppo models where SMPS was used .

Try Googling Oppo UDP- 205 modifications.

BTW, what model is the NuForce ? I have always found wide bandwidth designs to sound better, whether with Pre Amplifiers or Power Amplifiers.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

OTOH, maybe, just maybe, the many members, many, many members, and qualified members all need better WiFi themselves !!

No. They need to get away from WiFi for well implemented Ethernet for example.  Wi Fi needs additional processes such as Modulation and Demodulation, and it's always best to get away from additional processing, even with conversion from SPDIF to Optical where  well implemented Coax SPDIF does outperform Toslink , although the far more expensive Glass  Fibre does close the gap a little however.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 hour ago, Richard Dale said:

That’s a good thing then.

Accepting advice is one thing, but it still needs to be evaluated by the recipient and may not always be correct.

23 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

This is new.

Your claim in the past was that ripping CDs with a linear power supply provided improvements so subtle that they disappeared when the files were transferred over the Internet.

Bullshit.  As usual, you are only quoting the part that suits you. I have stated on numerous occasions that they are degraded .  The Love Over Gold files that I sent to Martin Colloms for the series of DBTs were sent via the Internet. However, I have no doubt whatsoever that if I had sent them on USB memory, or as I did later on, with a series of comparison CDs that the Audible differences would have been much more obvious. Just like another member you are very adept at massaging the truth, so I will ignore further replies from you in this area.

3 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

But what you said in response to Blackmorec was entirely unnecessary and rude.

All Blackmorec did was to make a perfectly reasonable comment about cables, including how he thought Nordost positioned their various cable ranges in the market. I am a perfectly happy owner of various Nordost cables, and I particularly like the Heimdall 2 range.

I don’t need all this ‘self appointed defenders of the scientific method’ crap from you and others on this thread. This is primarily a HiFi hobbiest web site, and if mainstream guys like myself and Blackmorec don’t share you views, then I’m sorry but you should learn to be a bit more tolerant. I’m pretty certain we’re not a bunch of anti-science loonies as we seem to be portrayed, and Blackmorec actually said he was a scientist.

The reason the "Boss" stepped in was because a certain group of participants, myself included were getting into a Magic Roundabout discussion, and when it was pointed out I stepped back somewhat, so my reply was not any self appointed demon from obsessive measurement land, but a plea to give it a rest, we disagree, big time, it ain't that serious, its a hobby...

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Bullshit.  As usual, you are only quoting the part that suits you. I have stated on numerous occasions that they are degraded .  The Love Over Gold files that I sent to Martin Colloms for the series of DBTs were sent via the Internet. However, I have no doubt whatsoever that if I had sent them on USB memory, or as I did later on, with a series of comparison CDs that the Audible differences would have been much more obvious. Just like another member you are very adept at massaging the truth, so I will ignore further replies from you in this area.

Bullshit right back to you.

If there are "huge differences", why didn't your hero Barry D say that instead of reporting possible subtle differences between your test files?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

Marce doesn't have the knowledge of comparative experiences to back up the attitude he has...

Let me clue you in: knowledgeable listeners and evaluators don't like (ignorant) EEs telling them what they can and cannot hear.

Knowledgable testers don't think much of ignorant, sub-scientific, gibbersh, spouted by the untrained "anti-vaxers" and "climate deniers" who have conducted ZERO analysis and evaluations of the products in question, - yet still manage to subjectively attack the product, the designer, & the listener.

Er sighted, when making changes things often sound different, I mentioned a similar thing with a cable on another thread, all I try and find is what is causing the effect, the only difference between me and you and others is I now accept my hearing is fallible, so I tread with caution, accepting expectation bias is big influence.

Just now, marce said:

Er sighted, when making changes things often sound different, I mentioned a similar thing with a cable on another thread, all I try and find is what is causing the effect, the only difference between me and you and others is I now accept my hearing is fallible, so I tread with caution, accepting expectation bias is big influence.

"the only difference between me and you and others"

Uh..you have made an incorrect assumption about my person

If there are "huge differences", why didn't your hero Barry D say that instead of reporting possible subtle differences between your test files? -Kumakuma

For the last time. Barry did NOT listen to the CDs directly as intended . He ripped them to his HDD for the purpose of seamless switching between tracks .

Now go away, I am heartily sick of you deliberately leaving out the information that you already been given in earlier PMs and the fabrications you keep making up.

10 minutes ago, marce said:

The reason the "Boss" stepped in was because a certain group of participants, myself included were getting into a Magic Roundabout discussion, and when it was pointed out I stepped back somewhat, so my reply was not any self appointed demon from obsessive measurement land, but a plea to give it a rest, we disagree, big time, it ain't that serious, its a hobby...

OK thanks for that, I think it is actually a fun hobby and I think disagreeing can be part of the fun.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

19 minutes ago, marce said:

the only difference between me and you and others is I now accept my hearing is fallible, so I tread with caution, accepting expectation bias is big influence.

Marce

Except perhaps in the area where your training tells you that there shouldn't be any audible differences.

I would put it to you, that in this case that your brain may not let you hear what others are reporting due to your Expectation Bias not being able to be fully overridden. 

But what if the comparisons you were making were VISUAL ?  Would your Expectation Bias be capable of being overridden there too ? I suspect not.

In another area, I suspect that many of the advantages reported when using USB Regens for example, may not entirely be due to the actual Regeneration, but the fact that the use of voltage regulation in the devices, using physically small value filter capacitors is giving a much lower output impedance at >100kHz.

A couple of days ago I saw a series of glamour photographs, where a couple of the series needed a little sharpening to match the rest of the series. ( I was bored , and needed something to pass time)¬¬

Rather than use Photoshop to perform the sharpening action on the whole series , which is fiddly and takes a while to set up, I coped them to USB memory with the USB Regen in line,  powered directly from a 12V Li Ion battery and saved them back to the original HDD. The USB Regen files were in this case sharpened to perfection  when compared with the other series, and in a small fraction of the time it would have taken when using Photoshop.

Unfortunately,this appears to confirm some Technical Reports elsewhere. Perhaps many members just prefer a smidgin  of added HF Detail with both A and V ?

Alex

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Except perhaps in the area where your training tells you that there shouldn't be any audible differences.

I would put it to you, that in this case that your brain may not let you hear what others are reporting due to your Expectation Bias not being able to be fully overridden. 

I suspect that you'll disagree but I believe that the differences would need to be extremely small for this kind of expectation bias to kick in.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull