IGNORED

CPU Load and Sound Quality

STC

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

What makes you think that many members of this forum are unable to do this ?

Have you ever regularly participated as part of a group of listeners where they regularly visit each other's homes, and listen to new audio items, sometimes on loan from a dealer, and often in systems worth >$100K ?

They then listen to the various items using non sighted evaluation with all items still powered up so that this doesn't give a clue as to what is actually in use at the time ?

Only $100K? I have heard system with $100K just for the cables. Just like some healing show, the power of suggestion is so strong where people hear things that are not there. 

14 minutes ago, STC said:

Only $100K? I have heard system with $100K just for the cables. Just like some healing show, the power of suggestion is so strong where people hear things that are not there. 

Not bloody likely !

Unlike you they are able to hear the things that you obviously are simply not capable of hearing, and come to agreement about the differences that they heard under NON sighted conditions.

BTW,  I said >$100K.  In one case, the Preamp alone cost $50K and the Gryphon Kalliope  DAC $26,600 USD

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Unlike you they are able to hear the things that you obviously are simply not capable of hearing, and come to agreement about the differences that they heard under NON sighted conditions.

BTW,  I said >$100K.  In one case, the Preamp alone cost $50K

So sad. With so much of money and exposure you are confined to headphones which sounds nothing like what you hear in nature. The sound is all inside your head. 

14 minutes ago, STC said:

So sad. With so much of money and exposure you are confined to headphones which sounds nothing like what you hear in nature. The sound is all inside your head. 

It would appear that you have a reading comprehension problem too, as I have previously posted photos of my Class A Power Amplifier and it's external 2U Rack case PSU.

I need to listen to headphones during the day mainly as my D.I.L. works mostly night shifts

You are being childish here, as you will already have seen elsewhere that I also use an Oppo 103 in my main system, as well as a separate Class A Preamp and a highly modified version of a Silicon Chip magazine designed DAC which is also used for high quality TV sound from an STB via Coax SPDIF every evening .

It would appear that you are trying to keep this " passed it's USE BY date" thread alive at all costs.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

11 hours ago, Racerxnet said:

Frank, can you tell me exactly what you are changing on the laptop to get the magic. IE, are you moving cables, changing the speakers, sitting it on toilet paper. What exactly are you doing. Modded bios? Please answer with some specific details. 

Mak

Well, I'm telling some of the story in the Step By Step Surgery thread - aim is to not touch anything of the hardware, apart from disconnecting everything that doesn't matter. This is just another version of what people like PeterSt do - change how the software drives the m/c ... I still haven't finished, being sidetracked by forum activity, and that the power adapter failed - did a rough fix to get it going again.

No point in giving a precise list yet, because I might go backwards on one of the steps - when I've gone as far as I feel is reasonable, I'll try and give a full rundown ... OK?

Once there was a product launch by a well known pro and audiophile brand of their top range speakers after  20 years ( or was it 40?). The presentation started with the music playing for about 30 minutes before the President of the company gave his talk. 

After about 1 hour of talk and slide shows there was no audio comparison between the older design. During the Q&A session, I heard so many of them complimenting the new speakers. To me, it sounded good but nothing extra ordinary and I have heard better system than the setup. I really thought it was not set up correctly despite the room was tuned by the famous ASI.

After the presentation everyone adjourned to enjoy the beverages. I took the opportunity to approach the president discreetly to ask about the setup. After introducing myself, I asked him “ whether in his opinion the setup was the best sound the speakers capable of?”

President:- I haven’t listened to them because I arrived late. 

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

It would appear that you have a reading comprehension problem too, as I have previously posted photos of my Class A Power Amplifier and it's external 2U Rack case PSU.

I need to listen to headphones during the day mainly as my D.I.L. works mostly night shifts

You are being childish here, as you will already have seen elsewhere that I also use an Oppo 103 in my main system, as well as a separate Class A Preamp and a highly modified version of a Silicon Chip magazine designed DAC which is also used for high quality TV sound from an STB via Coax SPDIF every evening .

Maybe this child was confused because he only saw the picture of the headphones and thought you are connecting all those equipments to them. 

1 minute ago, STC said:

Maybe this child was confused because he only saw the picture of the headphones and thought you are connecting all those equipments to them. 

Try acting your age for a change.¬¬

I have seen posts elsewhere from you that show you are way better than the BS you are spouting in this thread.

I have better things to do like listening to some great music that you should also try listening to.,

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Try acting your age for a change.¬¬

I have seen posts elsewhere from you that show you are way better than the BS you are spouting in this thread.

I have better things to do like listening to some great music that you should also try listening to.,

I am confused. You want me to act like your age?

How difficult it is to post the pictures here again?

6 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Hi Racerxnet, 

This isn’t about golden ears....educated ears maybe be certainly not golden. What it is about is taking great care in setting up all elements of a system properly, starting with the room and its acoustics, the power supply to the room, the speaker positioning within the room, vibration control of all system elements,  any network supply and EMI and last but not least, excellent synergistic components and all its interconnecting cables. 

When all that is correct, you’ll have an absolutely stunning system that is a joy to listen to and most recordings will sound very good to exceptional, although there’re always a few baduns. 

And when you then listen to other systems that have not been optimised, what you’ll often hear in comparison is a slightly homogenised sound, lacking in detail, with tonal anomalies, lack of spacial focus and definition, that has poor timing, sounds rather boring and is generally not a lot of fun to listen to, as though you are listening to a rather poorly executed recording. You’ll also likely hear both loudspeakers as easily identified sources that is a sure giveaway that something is lacking with the set-up

What you are suggesting has been done and more based on my experience in this hobby. So, I agree with what has been said. My system is well above average in quantity and quality. I did the remodel. Used Green glue to decouple. Used REW for the room response. Made and added sound absorption based on the room response. Remeasured again. Bought the Genesis system because it was the best at the time from Arnie Nudell. Had the Kappa 9's , RS1B's, and now the Genesis system. The amps have been 4 7BSST's for the RS1B setup and reduced it to only 2. The Genesis has its own bass servo amp. I matched  the amps with the BP25. Been there and done that with the modded bios for the AX 370 K3 gigabyte motherboard and a 1700x CPU. I could list many things I've done over the years, but have a good grasp on this. My room is not the greatest, but does well. 

So it seems like some like to preach to the choir. My system will rival many top end rigs based on what I hear from others in the Chicagoland area. I've heard a lot of good and bad.

MAk

6 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Hi Racerxnet, 

This isn’t about golden ears....educated ears maybe be certainly not golden. What it is about is taking great care in setting up all elements of a system properly, starting with the room and its acoustics, the power supply to the room, the speaker positioning within the room, vibration control of all system elements,  any network supply and EMI and last but not least, excellent synergistic components and all its interconnecting cables. 

When all that is correct, you’ll have an absolutely stunning system that is a joy to listen to and most recordings will sound very good to exceptional, although there’re always a few baduns. 

And when you then listen to other systems that have not been optimised, what you’ll often hear in comparison is a slightly homogenised sound, lacking in detail, with tonal anomalies, lack of spacial focus and definition, that has poor timing, sounds rather boring and is generally not a lot of fun to listen to, as though you are listening to a rather poorly executed recording. You’ll also likely hear both loudspeakers as easily identified sources that is a sure giveaway that something is lacking with the set-up

This could almost be me talking - except I don't worry about the room and its acoustics, or speaker positioning within the room.

With regard to listening to non-optimised systems I could use the same language, except that I then deliberately use a 'difficult' recording, which provokes that setup to produce every obvious distortion - I now have a marker which guides me to improve things.

A simple example with the Ring, Ring track I'm using with the current laptop: the chorus line in that song, the actual phrase "Ring, Ring" as sung by the girls has significant distortion, a screechiness, when non-optimised - this steadily is got under control as changes are made in the right direction, and translates to the direct and added reverb sound, makes complete sense to my hearing.

3 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

You optimized what exactly?

MAK

CPU Load ... 🤩

Nothing to do with bitperfect; all about altering the electrical activity within the plastic, while the track is playing. Since all the circuitry is next to each other, with only the most basic power supplies in the thing, it should be pretty obvious that one can alter the interference activity going on ...

BTW, nice that you are playing with Nudell's offspring - one of the best LP experiences I had decades ago was in a dealer's home, with such, and Goldmund Reference, Audio Research biggies - the classic combo.

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

CPU Load ... 🤩

Nothing to do with bitperfect; all about altering the electrical activity within the plastic, while the track is playing. Since all the circuitry is next to each other, with only the most basic power supplies in the thing, it should be pretty obvious that one can alter the interference activity going on ...

BTW, nice that you are playing with Nudell's offspring - one of the best LP experiences I had decades ago was in a dealer's home, with such, and Goldmund Reference, Audio Research biggies - the classic combo.

There is not much you are going to do within the confines of a laptop. Putting it on the battery?? Then what! Dead end. If you are telling me otherwise, show some pictures..

MAK

P.S., It is Nudell, and McGowan's work from the genesis line.

7 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

There is not much you are going to do within the confines of a laptop. Putting it on the battery?? Then what! Dead end. If you are telling me otherwise, show some pictures..

MAK

P.S., It is Nudell, and McGowan's work from the genesis line.

I note that you responded on the Step thread; so you know what I'm exploring - I just take it as far as I can, and see what that gives me ... patience, grasshopper ☺️.

Have you looked at https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/products/ ?

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

Nothing you can in this area is going to move the dial much because you're limited by your shitty speakers and internal DAC.

Get yourself some powered speakers and an external DAC.

Which is not the point. I want to see how capable the laptop is of getting the sound right, in the areas that it can, if I give it every chance - I don't intend to seriously listen to it, merely explore how well the audio circuitry can perform.

This is an example of how I approach each system - what's it doing right, what's it doing wrong? What happens when I alter parameters, in any sense ... the point is to learn ...

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which is not the point. I want to see how capable the laptop is of getting the sound right, in the areas that it can, if I give it every chance - I don't intend to seriously listen to it, merely explore how well the audio circuitry can perform.

This is an example of how I approach each system - what's it doing right, what's it doing wrong? What happens when I alter parameters, in any sense ... the point is to learn ...

Enjoy!

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

except I don't worry about the room and its acoustics, or speaker positioning within the room.

Stereo reproduction via loudspeakers involves precise loudspeakers placement and room acoustics. What you are describing is matters related to SPL. You are confusing this hobby with something else. Try car audio SPL system. A tiny laptop or Sharp speakers hardly qualify you to say anything about high fidelity. Keep that to your own thread. 

13 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

that is engineering, not science

are you sure you studied science??

By definition its both. Science explores the physical and natural world and makes new discoveries and expands our knowledge. Engineering uses those discoveries and applies the knowledge to design, build and maintain structures, products or processes that solve problems or fulfils a need or purpose. Hand in glove. 

1 hour ago, marce said:

>14,000 posts! 😂

So what ? I have been a member here for more than 10 years

Ralf 11 from your know-it-all side has been here only 3 years and has 12,453 posts already:o

That's more than 3 times my post rate !

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

I note that you responded on the Step thread; so you know what I'm exploring - I just take it as far as I can, and see what that gives me ... patience, grasshopper ☺️.

Have you looked at https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/products/ ?

Gary and Carol have a site at Whatsbestforum for the Genesis line. 

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/forums/genesis-advanced-technologies-forum.215/

MAK