IGNORED

CPU Load and Sound Quality

STC

15 hours ago, STC said:

My normal usage for playing stereo is usually around 5%. And going full convolution DSP it would hit 100%.  Except for some drop outs at 100% I do not hear any difference to the sound quality. 

As it should be. An audible difference would be indicative of a pretty bad noise leak.

45 minutes ago, STC said:

I cannot comment on this because I do not know how the system actually works. Technically, digital data streams serially so a SPDIF output would have a sample delay between the left and right.

That is incorrect. Although the left and right channel samples are interleaved, the receiver buffers the data and does the A/D conversion simultaneously.

The early Sony CD players did have a half-sample delay between the channels, but that's ancient history. Also, the 12 μs difference is inaudible. Moving your head 4 mm makes a bigger difference.

14 minutes ago, STC said:

12μs can be audible.

Maybe, under some carefully controlled conditions. If one channel has a constant 12 μs delay, it is equivalent to the listener being 4 mm closer to one speaker. That's not a problem unless you are this guy:

head-vise.gif.18c79d6db4b46b2e75ab2538ee92baf1.gif

18 minutes ago, STC said:

BTW, how did you get half a sample delay?  

Those early CD players had a single DAC serving both channels.

8 hours ago, STC said:

Humans use ITD from as little as 10μs to 600 or 700μs. If the delay is constant ( and it could be true) then it is possible that the center image to be slightly off centered. That probably explains why every audiophile would have noticed that getting center image is always inconsistent. So what carefully  controlled condition you are talking about?

Did you not see the illustration I included? A constant 12 μs delay in one channel is equivalent to sitting about 4 mm off centre. You'd need to clamp your head in a vice to maintain your position that accurately.

8 hours ago, STC said:

You may have just unraveled a mystery that has been bugging me for three years. How about the the small USB DACs. They come with single DAC. Audioquest Dragonfly?

Every modern audio DAC chip has at least two independent channels. The incoming serial data is buffered and released to the conversion stages simultaneously.

The only audio devices I'm aware of with the channel offset are the first generation of Sony CD players. Their DAC chip had only a single D/A conversion stage that alternated between the channels. Philips used two TDA1540 chips in their early models, later switching to the TDA1541 which has two channels.

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

Of course, this could be that my specific DACs/ADCs are immune. As an example, Peter’s Lush^2 USB cable actually made an obvious difference with an older Emotiva DAC, but not with any of the others I’ve tried, including a $50 Behringer USB interface.

I thought Emotiva was better than that. What kind of difference did it make?

10 hours ago, STC said:
10 hours ago, davide256 said:

by definition a security scan uses significant system resource and lots of hard drive activity. Neither of these is good for music playback in any OS

Why? Any evidence?

A full virus scan of Windows does a lot of hard drive thrashing and generally bogs down the system. I wouldn't be surprised if audio playback suffered from stuttering while the scan is running. Now why would anyone run a full virus scan while playing music?

21 minutes ago, STC said:

Notwithstanding stuttering, I don’t hear any difference in SQ as long as the COU is below 100%. But My application is bit different because I use the PC to send the data to the DAC with 3 seconds delay. 

That's probably enough to handle even the most extreme latency spikes.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

I don't find anything humorous in posts like that, knowing how you and several other closed minded participants in this thread, and other threads in the General Forum area really feel about virtually all of my posts in this forum. 

There's an easy way for you to change that.

15 minutes ago, STC said:

Maybe this is not relevant but I have seen many people make the mistake when the replace the US to UK plugs. The live wire should go to the neutral. Take a volt meter and measure the voltage from the chassis to ground to check whether you have properly wired them.

The Schuko plug is symmetrical, and equipment is expected to work whichever way it happens to get plugged in. Nevertheless, a hum problem can occasionally be resolved by flipping one or more plugs around.