Ropet

PC conversion to DSD vs professional conversion

Rate this topic

I have been in contact with some record labels on classical music. All of them record in 24/48 or higher. Mixing and mastering mainly in 24/96 or higher. The sell so called studio quality download from 24/48 up to 24/192 (depending on who). When the sell physic discs in high resolution the make conversion to DSD64 to meet SACD standard. This is also my way. I buy high resolution pcm and convert on the fly to DSD64 using JRiver, W10 in dedicated laptop only for music (i5 and SSD for program files). This is what sounds best with my Aesthetix Romulus Signature in my view. The difference is not enormous vs pcm but it is there.

My question is how record companies/studios make their conversions from their pcm files to dsd64 to be used for SACD? Do they also use computers/laptop? If not what are they using? Anybody knows?

At the same time I've heard sayings that converting files from pcm to dsd is a rather simple mathematics. If not, what could go wrong with a laptop vs professional gear?

1 hour ago, Ropet said:

My question is how record companies/studios make their conversions from their pcm files to dsd64 to be used for SACD? Do they also use computers/laptop? If not what are they using? Anybody knows?

They normally use some software or other. Weiss Saracon is well regarded.

A few studios use esoteric methods like playing back the PCM file on a DAC and recording the output with a DSD ADC. For some reason, they believe this gives better results (it doesn't).

1 hour ago, Ropet said:

At the same time I've heard sayings that converting files from pcm to dsd is a rather simple mathematics. If not, what could go wrong with a laptop vs professional gear?

If your software is good, there should be no difference in quality. Poor software can screw up in any number of ways. This can manifest as excessive noise in the audio band, harmonic distortion, ticks and chirps, or other anomalies.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:48 PM, Ropet said:

Software such as Merging Pyramix, Weiss Saracon or HQPlayer 4 Pro.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:48 PM, Ropet said:

Simple is not usually very good. Results depend on the software, professionals use same kind of computer gear to run the software as consumers, so main difference are software features.

For example if conversion is done with HQPlayer 4 Pro the algorithms are exactly same as you would get during playback with something HQPlayer 4 Desktop. Thus no differences is results either.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I really appreciated your comments on this. I also got an email from one of the bigger classical labels (outside Universal) who invited me to show how they are doing it. This will be interesting. I hope this can take place before Christmas. 

I will revert to this thread after.

//