The Computer Audiophile

Article: Roon 1.7 With Valence Is Released

Rate this topic

The New Releases for You and Recommended for You are great features for finding new music, especially using Qobuz from within Roon.  Already added a few albums to my library.  The Live Radio directory also looks promising. 

Roon / Mola Mola Tambaqui / Kubala-Sosna XLR / Mola Mola Kaluga / KS biwire / B&W 803 D3

I love the live radio improvement... to me radio is so underrated. It’s where music began for me and with the right stations, no algorithm will ever compete. Thank you Roon for getting this right!

JD

@The Computer Audiophile hi Chris well 1.7 downloaded and loaded without me saying ok actually did it twice saying it might take a while to resync my data base. Well when it came on it no longer recognizes my brand new Schiit Yggdrasil GS nor old ME2 DAC it did several hours ago in the old version what 1.6.

Do you or anyone else know how to get this new version to recognize my DACs---I have no way to listen to music now got to be some 'trick'/easy solution for this without having to deal with 'support' or 'community' who will ask same stupid questions what my system is ect and send a screenshot ---of what a blank screen with no zones except my apple tv mac output and chromecast google home

thanks for anybody's assistance--have already turned ROON on/off repeatedly still no zones with my 2 DACs maybe I should a 'shutdown' or 'forced quit' of the mac mini will wait to see what you say

@The Computer Audiophile I couldn't stand it/wait for a response--- unconnected the 2 DACs shut off the Yggdrasil GS shut everything down on the mac and did a soft quit/shutdown waited a bit restarted the mac rehooked the DACs and turned the Yggy back on A+3 TIDAL and QoBuz re-recognized the Schiit DAC (WHEW)-- turned ROON back on and it recognized both DACs BUT ROON now only plays in 'High Quality' little green light not 'lossless' what gives with that?? At the bottom of signal path it says 'OS mixer' never saw that before.

At least everything works again but that automatic download for ROON 1.7 really screwed up my system and scared the living daylights out of me.

Anyone experience this problem with auto download of ROON ver 1.7/setup of it and anyone know how to get ROON to play in Lossless again?

50 minutes ago, misterspense said:

Upped the lifetime membership to 699???? 🤨 For getting a bit better recommendations, and easier liveradio? To be honest, with Roon 1.6 liveradio was not optimal, you needed to add the URL by hand. Dor instance Euphony, Volumio and LMS have selectable stations, no need to search for the URL's yourself. And they dare to ask 200 euro more for this added functionality???

Although I subscribe to Roon, I have balked at the lifetime price tag in hopes of a different solution. It is not that the $500 is that much, but in that the features Roon offered aren't enough. The search engine is a bit tweaky and you have to be VERY specific with spelling and such. The Roon radio is(was?) simply awful compared to the likes of Spotify and many others. Oh sure there is some artist info and if you take the time to click about the "followed by" or "influenced by" you can find some nice stuff, but even still, Amazon seems to sorta have that down as well in the "you might also like". My primary reason for using Roon is the streaming>HQPlayer DSD integration. Roon was already over priced, and this seems like a money grab for function they should have included before.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer>Win10 NAA

DSD512>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

7 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@The Computer Audiophile I couldn't stand it/wait for a response--- unconnected the 2 DACs shut off the Yggdrasil GS shut everything down on the mac and did a soft quit/shutdown waited a bit restarted the mac rehooked the DACs and turned the Yggy back on A+3 TIDAL and QoBuz re-recognized the Schiit DAC (WHEW)-- turned ROON back on and it recognized both DACs BUT ROON now only plays in 'High Quality' little green light not 'lossless' what gives with that?? At the bottom of signal path it says 'OS mixer' never saw that before.

At least everything works again but that automatic download for ROON 1.7 really screwed up my system and scared the living daylights out of me.

Anyone experience this problem with auto download of ROON ver 1.7/setup of it and anyone know how to get ROON to play in Lossless again?

Make sure your audio devices in Roon setting are allowed exclusive control. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

41 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@The Computer Audiophile Thank you but where do I find that if I go to device set up even in advanced there is no choices for 'exclusive control' like in A+3 where there is exclusive access/integer mode/direct mode/ Thanks-- that ver 1.7 looks pretty cool but I bought ROON for lossless not high quality(kinda hard to hear a difference but its there)-- and that price hike is unbelievable I paid 499$ and my CFO hit the roof a few years ago!

bobbmd

Screenshot_20191122-083642.gif

I installed 1.7 a couple of days ago. On the one hand, I love the new radio stations they've highlighted. But, on the other, my iPad has been temperamental connecting to the Roon NUC. Several times it just gets stuck trying to connect. Last night I was without music for about 30 minutes trying to figure it out, finally had to reset.

And is Valence something that you can access or is it just a new algorithm that picks songs for Roon radio?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

20 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

is Valence something that you can access or is it just a new algorithm that picks songs for Roon radio?

Valence is just the name for a set of technologies that mines data and either plays music it thinks you'll like via Roon Radio, or recommends music it thinks you will like in areas like an album page. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.23.07 AM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Valence is just the name for a set of technologies that mines data and either plays music it thinks you'll like via Roon Radio, or recommends music it thinks you will like in areas like an album page. 

Thanks, that explains why I can't "find" it 😂

Would have been less confusing if they said "hey, here are some new improvements and features" rather than give it a name.

BTW, I love Roon 😍

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

1 hour ago, firedog said:

No, and no one is asking you to. You are free to think the price is sky high and not worth it; that doesn't change the reality that the "lifetime" model is a bad one for Roon, no matter what you think. 

Just use one of the other programs if you think Roon is too expensive. 

There's lots of stuff - from audio to alcohol to liquor to watches to clothes  and furniture - that are all non essetial luxury items - that I don't buy because I think they are too expensive. I buy a less expensive alternative and am happy with it. 

Why should software be any different? 

I never said it should be different. I simply stated that I didn't find a lot of value added for the price increase. This is a discussion forum and I have expressed my dislike for the reasoning behind a price increase as a present user. Are you suggesting then that I do not have the right to let my opinion be known in a forum where Roon seems to monitor, and others might see this and consider creating alternatives?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer>Win10 NAA

DSD512>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

16 minutes ago, 4est said:

I never said it should be different. I simply stated that I didn't find a lot of value added for the price increase. This is a discussion forum and I have expressed my dislike for the reasoning behind a price increase as a present user. Are you suggesting then that I do not have the right to let my opinion be known in a forum where Roon seems to monitor, and others might see this and consider creating alternatives?

No, and I never wrote or implied that. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Comparing Roon to A+ (great player as well) isn’t even remotely close.

The link provided explains the lifetime increase - extremely well explained and transparent.  

There is no price increase otherwise and Roon is something like $10/month.  Lots of player choices available and Roon certainly isn’t for everyone 

@The Computer Audiophile @rn701 as it turns out when i rebooted my mac and restarted ROON ver !.7   my Zone(s) for yggy gs gen5usb was now 2 different zones one with apple core audio one with OS mixer plus i now had 4 different zones i never had before or had set up one for my family room apple tv/one for my apple tv in living room/one for chromcast-google home in the kitchen and which i never automatically connected/one for my hdtv display. I have no idea why they showed up after the download of ver 1.7 and after i rebooted but all is ok for now and A+3 works just fine

@rn701 that page you showed me is what i got if i clicked setup for the DAC that only played high quality just says device and there is no exclusive mode but if i click the other yggy DAC or ME2 dac it shows/offers exclusive mode because they are set up for Apple core audio. I have stopped trying to figure why these things happen like the bumper sticker says... "schiit(shit) happens" and trying to figure out how ROON acts and reacts is like "...forget it Jake it's just Chinatown..."

A+3 Qobuz and TIDAL all work well alone now.

will try to post a screenshot of what i am explained.

thanks for all your help and i hope i have not worn out my welcome (if i ever had one) have a nice weekend and Happy Thanksgiving

Edited by bobbmd
correction

Upgraded to 1.7 last night.  All went well until I tried to play music, then I got "playback was interrupted because a track failed to load".  I went to the account page to find "error retrieving account information".  I created another core on my laptop and my credentials worked just fine and I could play music, just not from my server core.

I opened a ticket with Roon support, but I can tell it's going to be a lengthy process.  Yes, I did reboot my server.

Colin