IGNORED

Getting ready to build my new multichannel audio room (with pull down screen)

ted_b

So I have been out of the loop on so many exciting things in audio (and video, frankly) since we made the big move to the Denver, CO area.  You folks here on AudiophileStyle have been keeping me so pumped about how my new system will sound, given all the tips and techniques on Nucs, AudioLinux, power supplies, DACs (of course :) ), Etherregens, etc etc.  I cannot wait!

In 1987 we built a home in NE Ohio and I designed, with very little experiential data, a music room/home theater.  Back then we had very little info, and I screwed it up a bit with double thick drywall, etc etc.  Bass nodes would hang around in that room for weeks.  :)  Even in 2011 when I asked the great Jeff Hedback to assist me in redoing the room, we had so little info compared to now.  But the results were amazing (and Jeff is very involved this time around, of course).

Here was my old OH room (we left screen, pj and front corner traps to the new owners :( ).

787030022_20Tcloudfrontcrop.thumb.jpg.aa4d6d330259c4c109072fce275bcc70.jpg

My new home has a nice high-ceiling'd (9ft +) walk out basement, and I am using a large portion of the currently unfinished area (bedroom and bath are done) to build a 75% music, 25% video room.   I am doing several things differently this time, not the least of which is making the room wider so the 5.1 ITU-style setup, with surrounds at between 90-105 degrees, can work out.  We have a back wall that is moveable (think barn doors) to accommodate an open feel (pool table, wet bar, etc) when serious listening is not in the cards.  Additionally, the walls will not be drywall within the room, only those facing the rest of the basement, as well as the wet bar and fireplace seating areas.  Also, I plan on trying Atmos on-ceiling (not in-ceiling) height speakers for a guilty pleasure of hearing things like Abbey Road (Atmos mix) and some movies.  They will not be part of a 2 channel or 5.1 system, of course. 

1057946890_basementnov2019.thumb.png.9ec19b01032092897e494d612e7b4c74.png

A closer look at the room layout.  Ceiling and the three fixed walls (as well as the barn doors) will be a specialized build involving pegboard, insulations and some acoustic tricks and hangers.

1553448600_RockWIllowV5withouthallwaywallsanddoor.thumb.png.4eafb371cbf8b0b776fd8ed8e9a62384.png

So.....I have decided to write this thread starter to ask a few AUDIO-related questions of this wonderful group of audio enthusiasts.  Forums like Quadraphonic Quad and AVS are good, but they don't understand serious 2 channel listening, for example.  I will update it as we go along.

Question 1:  I plan on using eyeballs for the lights, and would love to have dimmers for mood, etc.  My old room had miserable noise luck with standard Lutron dimming (pre-LED).  What is the common wisdom now to keep dimmer noise out of the audio path?

Question 2:  Does anyone have experience with good Atmos height speakers?  My short list so far includes SVS Prime Elevation, XTZ S2 Atmospheres and the Elac Debut atmos ones.

Question 3:  (Really should be leading question) Does anyone have issues with what we are designing here?  I have not yet thought about equipment racks (I normally use Sistrum), their location, wiring tunnels or the like.

Question 4:  I plan on using an acoustically transparent screen (like Elite Acoustic Pro) to pull down in front of the center channel speaker (and possibly overlap with mains).  Anyone use this type of screen and can comment on how "transparent" it is?  Clealry this is when movies/tv/video is involved so audio takes somewhat of a back seat but I want it all.  :):)

That's it so far.......thx

Thx.  Yes, the dimmers will be on their own line, but also want to make sure to use the least noisy options for lights/dimmers.  The walls are a sandwich of pegboards, framing, insulation (rigid and otherwise).  The room dimensions work fine (Jeff has them designed so the nodes balance pretty nicely).  The pool table comment is there from a cut and paste, as one wants enough room around an 8 ft pool table so as to have enough spacing for all shots. 

Ted,

Looks like a great adventure/project. Congratulations on the move and best of luck with the new music room!

Regards,

Allan

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

least noisy options for lights/dimmers would be kerosene...

next would be banks of incandescent lights that you turn on/off to vary the levels

worst would be old Fl's or LEDs

but at some point EMF noise is just a will o' the wisp and not a real problem

dimmers are SCRs (choppers) - likely a Wiki on them - but best avoided