IGNORED

Roon 1.7 Is Available!

rn701

44 minutes ago, Daccord said:

Is this an option that can be turned off? I'm reluctant to try Audirvana because I don't want it "optimizing" my OS.

Sure, it can be turned On or Off on different levels, including completely off. However, this feature is great because it stops Spotlight and Time Machine, for example, and other things in the Mac OS which do not need to run. Audio quality is better with those services stopped. Also, it stops the services only when audio file is played. When playback is stopped, everything with the OS is back to normal. In other words, this is not a permanent system optimizer, such are some other available optimizers. Hope this helps. 

Alex Peychev | www.aplhifi.com

On 11/22/2019 at 11:26 AM, matthias said:

BTW, has someone compared the latest Audirvana vs. Roon 1.7?

I have done this comparison with Roon Core on a MBP.  I prefer Audirvana to Roon for sound quality.  Roon combined with HQPlayer is very comparable to Audirvana.  Oddly, I find Roon 1.7 combined with HQP sounds better than Roon 1.6 w/ HQP, not sure why that would be.

When it comes to library management, Roon vastly outclasses Audrivana in just about every possible way.  I have the latest Audirvana and after switching to it from Roon, all feels a bit handicapped in terms of library management.  And for me, Audirvana has significance scrolling lag issue, and the iPad remote is not nearly as good as Roon.

On the sound quality front, Audirvana represents a tremendous value given to currently purchase a Lifetime Roon license and HQP4 will cost nearly $1000.  Audirvana provides comparable sound for less than 1/10 the price.  That’s amazing.

20 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

I have done this comparison with Roon Core on a MBP.  I prefer Audirvana to Roon for sound quality.  Roon combined with HQPlayer is very comparable to Audirvana.  Oddly, I find Roon 1.7 combined with HQP sounds better than Roon 1.6 w/ HQP, not sure why that would be.

When it comes to library management, Roon vastly outclasses Audrivana in just about every possible way.  I have the latest Audirvana and after switching to it from Roon, all feels a bit handicapped in terms of library management.  And for me, Audirvana has significance scrolling lag issue, and the iPad remote is not nearly as good as Roon.

On the sound quality front, Audirvana represents a tremendous value given to currently purchase a Lifetime Roon license and HQP4 will cost nearly $1000.  Audirvana provides comparable sound for less than 1/10 the price.  That’s amazing.

Very interesting.

Did you compare both with USB out from your MBP to a DAC or with streaming to an endpoint and then to a DAC.

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

@jcn3 Yes I had that also--was driving me crazy-- and all my services TIDAL/Qobuz and other player A+3 stopped recognizing both my DACs as did ROON---so i disconnected everything did a shutdown of the mac unplugged the mac and waited about 15 minutes restarted the mac and reconnected everything and ended up with everything working again and  what followed WITH ROON>>>  ROON apparently had to resync my data bases twice(took a long long time). What was strange is that I ended up with audio zones I never had before like ROON 1.7 now recognizes the Google Home I have in the kitchen as a 'zone' it recognizes my 'Display'(TV/Computer screen in my living room) my Apple TV gen3 in both the living room and family room. At first it didn't recognize either my new Schiit Yggdrasil GS or my older ME2 DAC then it did(after i did what i did above) BUT I suddenly had TWO zones marked Schiit Yggdrasil GS gen 5 one that only played in 'High Quality' in the signal path and says "audio will play out the default device" the other zone says 'schiit yggy gs' and 'core audio' this plays in hires LOSSLESS in the signal path??!! I did not have this in ver 1.6.

Now today Sunday Nov 24 I have even MORE zones I never had before---a total of 9-NINE zones under title 'this mac' I only have 'enabled' the 2 Schiit zones and the ME2 zones ///the 9 zones are under black title 'AUDIO' then underneath 'this mac' then scrolling down it says 'roon tested'(apple tv-core audio) and then underneath that 'other network devices'(which is the chromecast google home in my kitchen).

I never had any of this in ver 1.6 except my old Schiit Gungnir and ME2 & AQDFRed then new Schiit DAC just before ver 1.7.

I mean it all works fine now and ver 1.7 seems faster to load and play and sounds just as good SQ wise and that Radio is so much better easier to use... BUT REALLY had no such problems with latest update of A+3.

If this is all too confusing i will be glad to submit a screenshot but am embarrassed have no idea how to do that!!

bobbmd

@rn701@The Computer Audiophile today sunday nov 24 Qobuz through ROON Ver 1.7 IS playing hires am listening 'come away with me ' 24/192 by norah jones but have noticed all albums have 24/88 24/96/ 24/192 in lower corners of the albums but not big yellow 'H' as before ver 1.7. My signal path says 'lossless' signal path is Qobuz FLAC 24/192 2 ch and my Schiit Yggy gs says 48/ 4x on front panel.

1 hour ago, bobbmd said:

@matthias  I still think A+3 newest version is still better SQ wise than ROON but new features after all those glitches/probs here with ROON make up for any SQ differences-- --hard for me to tell ie SQ but i am biased FOR A+3 anyway

It is now 2:1 in favor of Audirvana as answer to my question, thank you for answering😊

I think I will try Audirvana with a new MBP, Roon is very expensive in comparison.

Matt

19 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Audirvana provides comparable sound for less than 1/10 the price.  That’s amazing.

I agree. It is quite amazing indeed that Audirvana comes close to Roon, especially on a Mac platform and considering the cost. 

However, as mentioned in my earlier post, Roon still has the edge, at least to my ears and in my audio system. 

Of course, anyone who uses a Mac for audio playback will be very happy with Audirvana, no doubt about it. 

Damien has always done a great job and the latest Audirvana is no exception.

Thanks for your valuable input. 

Alex Peychev | www.aplhifi.com

On 11/25/2019 at 3:37 AM, matthias said:

It is now 2:1 in favor of Audirvana as answer to my question, thank you for answering😊

I think I will try Audirvana with a new MBP, Roon is very expensive in comparison.

Matt

Value wise Audirvana is hard to beat. However while I liked some of the changes with A+ 3.5, I couldn't get comfortable with the new GUI, which was less readable  and wasteful of space IMO.

IMO Roon is aesthetically and functionally far better than A+ - as well it should be given the cost.

Importantly Roon 1.7, at least in my system, sounds better than the latest version of Audirvana.

I also have a current licence for HQPlayer, which can use Roon as a front end, but frankly I prefer the SQ of Roon by itself - at least when utilising PCM upsampling (I don't upsample to DSD).

Mac M1 Mini RoonServer/HQPlayer> Holo May L2 > Benchmark HPA4

Headphones: Focal Utopia(2016), Sennheiser HD600, AKG K712 Pro
Speakers: ATC SCM100ASLT (active)

New update for 1.7 is live now, build 505

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

4 hours ago, tobes said:

Value wise Audirvana is hard to beat. However while I liked some of the changes with A+ 3.5, I couldn't get comfortable with the new GUI, which was less readable  and wasteful of space IMO.

IMO Roon is aesthetically and functionally far better than A+ - as well it should be given the cost.

Importantly Roon 1.7, at least in my system, sounds better than the latest version of Audirvana.

I also have a current licence for HQPlayer, which can use Roon as a front end, but frankly I prefer the SQ of Roon by itself - at least when utilising PCM upsampling (I don't upsample to DSD).

Thanks for reporting.

For me (I have no stored music and do streaming from Qobuz only) is the question to pay for Roon 10x the price of Audirvana.......

Further, when you use Audirvana to play via UPnP to a renderer will Roon then have huge SQ benefits?

Matt

7 hours ago, matthias said:

Further, when you use Audirvana to play via UPnP to a renderer will Roon then have huge SQ benefits?

Matt, I couldn't comment on UPnP to renderer but I wouldn't call the SQ differences 'huge' in any case.

While I do prefer the SQ of Roon 1.7 to Audirvana I think the main benefit is the superior GUI and organisation of music data. 

I do use stored music and find the application of Roon data to my stored collection valuable as well. 

For me the price of Roon was worth it and the investment small compared to my hardware expenditure. YMMV.

Mac M1 Mini RoonServer/HQPlayer> Holo May L2 > Benchmark HPA4

Headphones: Focal Utopia(2016), Sennheiser HD600, AKG K712 Pro
Speakers: ATC SCM100ASLT (active)
16 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No. I even rebooted the core and iOS devices :~(

I just did that and now its even zippier on both ends.

edit: Earlier today my phone slowed down, among things I tried other than rebooting it was plugging it in. That helped the phone in general. Plug your iOS device in and see if that helps.

Edit, I am on a Beta of iOS 13, but it may be a bug.

No electron left behind.