IGNORED

Roon 1.7 Is Available!

rn701

I'm shuffling albums in my library that are a mix of Qobuz and Tidal.  Just had a Qobuz 24/96 ELO track cut off abruptly and jump to the next song, which happened to be another Qobuz track, but I started the track that skipped over again.  So far it has made it about 3 minutes into the 4 minute track.  It initially cut out after about a minute.  

Lots of changes made behind the scenes to buffer, network, memory, and cpu utilization.  Definitely something to be aware of in the next few days.  

The ELO song finished the second time through without issue.  Now playing another Qobuz track with no problems so far.

22 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Keep in mind I'm just talking about primarily the look, though functionally still too many arrows to go here and there, horizontal scrolling still on pc's and laptops, too many extra steps for some functions, and lack of user customization. It's just not a particularly modern looking/functioning software. It is unique in what it does, just not how it looks and interfaces with the user. 

I think many have chosen ROON especially for its appearances and functions. The new futures in 1.7 can if working well in practice enhance the use, I believe.   

4 hours ago, McNulty said:

Roon SQ also seems better since the update. Perhaps due to the streaming optimizations and performance improvements listed in the release notes?

It was also my finding that the SQ is even better, but wanted to hear what other audiophiles thought about it as well. 

Thanks. 

Alex Peychev | www.aplhifi.com

1 hour ago, Alex Peychev said:

It was also my finding that the SQ is even better, but wanted to hear what other audiophiles thought about it as well. 

Thanks. 

Alex,

some impressions from WBF:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-81#post-610000

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

18 minutes ago, matthias said:

Thank you, Matt. 

My impressions are also on the positive side as the new Roon version seems to be sounding richer and with a better detail at the same time. This is especially audible with well done recordings. However, the new Roon version is not very forgiving with some not so great recordings. 

Alex

9 minutes ago, Alex Peychev said:

On Windows or Mac platform? I've also heard good things about the latest Audirvana so will try it. 

More interested in Mac platform, please share your impressions when playing through your UHQ DACs.

Thanks

Matt

11 hours ago, matthias said:

More interested in Mac platform, please share your impressions when playing through your UHQ DACs.

Thanks

Matt

I have downloaded the latest Audirvana on a MacBook Pro. Music files are on a Synology NAS. Roon Core installed on the same NAS as well. NAS running on a linear power supply. Both Roon and Audirvana playing from the same library native, no upsampling or other DSP. The DAC is connected via USB to the Mac. The Mac is on the LAN via cable, not wireless. 

I must say that the latest Audirvana is really good and has very subtle SQ differences compared to Roon. However, I feel that Roon still has the edge. It sounds richer and overall more analog-like. This is the very reason why we have been using Roon for some time now (although other programs such as JRiver MC, for example, offer better features and flexibility). After trying just about every computer audio playback software available, it was clear that Roon provides the best SQ (most natural and analog-like sound), at least in my opinion. 

Again, the latest Audirvana is probably one of the best options for Mac now, especially if one wants to play directly from the Mac or from external drive connected to the Mac and not bother with NAS and network playback. Audirvana also has a built-in OS optimization for audio playback which is a big plus when the DAC is connected via USB to the computer. 

Alex

26 minutes ago, Alex Peychev said:

I have downloaded the latest Audirvana on a MacBook Pro. Music files are on a Synology NAS. Roon Core installed on the same NAS as well. NAS running on a linear power supply. Both Roon and Audirvana playing from the same library native, no upsampling or other DSP. The DAC is connected via USB to the Mac. The Mac is on the LAN via cable, not wireless. 

I must say that the latest Audirvana is really good and has very subtle SQ differences compared to Roon. However, I feel that Roon still has the edge. It sounds richer and overall more analog-like. This is the very reason why we have been using Roon for some time now (although other programs such as JRiver MC, for example, offer better features and flexibility). After trying just about every computer audio playback software available, it was clear that Roon provides the best SQ (most natural and analog-like sound), at least in my opinion. 

Again, the latest Audirvana is probably one of the best options for Mac now, especially if one wants to play directly from the Mac or from external drive connected to the Mac and not bother with NAS and network playback. Audirvana also has a built-in OS optimization for audio playback which is a big plus when the DAC is connected via USB to the computer. 

Alex

Thanks Alex, very interesting.

I am wondering how both compare with streaming from Qobuz but I suppose it will be the same...….

Matt

8 minutes ago, matthias said:

Thanks Alex, very interesting.

I am wondering how both compare with streaming from Qobuz but I suppose it will be the same...….

Matt

You are welcome, Matt. 

I can eventually try with Qobuz too, but I also guess that the result will be the same. My streamer has the capability to directly stream from Qobuz or Tidal accounts so I have tried it. But Roon sounded better. I guess the superiority of Roon playback is because of their RAAT protocol. 

Alex

28 minutes ago, Alex Peychev said:

I can eventually try with Qobuz too, but I also guess that the result will be the same. My streamer has the capability to directly stream from Qobuz or Tidal accounts so I have tried it. But Roon sounded better. I guess the superiority of Roon playback is because of their RAAT protocol. 

Alex,

did you by any chance compare Roon vs Audirvana when Roon Core is with Audirvana on the same MBP and the output is via USB to your DACs?

If you can try it, it would be extremely kind of you😋

The outcome of this comparison would be very helpful for me.

Many many thanks in advance.

Matt

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Alex,

did you by any chance compare Roon vs Audirvana when Roon Core is with Audirvana on the same MBP and the output is via USB to your DACs?

If you can try it, it would be extremely kind of you😋

The outcome of this comparison would be very helpful for me.

Many many thanks in advance.

Matt

Matt, 

The outcome is the same in favor of Roon. More relaxed, more air, more analog-like. 

A subtle difference but it is there. 

Alex

5 minutes ago, Alex Peychev said:

Matt, 

The outcome is the same in favor of Roon. More relaxed, more air, more analog-like. 

A subtle difference but it is there. 

Alex

Alex,

thank you so much for trying it!

Did Roon Core sound better on the NAS or on MBP?

Matt

11 minutes ago, matthias said:

Alex,

thank you so much for trying it!

Did Roon Core sound better on the NAS or on MBP?

Matt

You are welcome again, Matt. 

I did not hear a difference between NAS Core and MBP Core, but I think this is because the Mac USB connection was used in both cases in order to provide equal playing field with Audirvana. 

However, Roon with the Core on the NAS sounds best when my streamer is used. In that case I am using the MBP (or iPhone / iPad) for remote only. 

Alex

4 minutes ago, matthias said:

I assume the Roon SQ with your streamer is much better than via MBP USB.......

Matt

Well, this is the case because the Synology works on a 12V linear power supply and also the streamer is 100% linear powered. Since the LAN connection is galvanically isolated, the DAC does not see any unwanted noise coming from the USB or DTR connections.

The other privilege of Roon Core being on the Synology NAS is because it runs on Linux and so there are not so many other processes running (everything else is stopped) except for the Roon Core. Also, the low-power Intel processor in the Synology results in much less noise from the internal switching power supplies compared to other computers with powerful processors. Downside is that Roon Core on the NAS cannot perform some intensive tasks, such as DSD to DSD upsampling, for example, but I am not interested in any DSP functions which call for more powerful CPUs. 

Alex

6 minutes ago, Alex Peychev said:

Downside is that Roon Core on the NAS cannot perform some intensive tasks, such as DSD to DSD upsampling, for example, but I am not interested in any DSP functions which call for more powerful CPUs. 

So you can feed your DACs with native files and they do the upsampling/converting to DSD256.

Matt

1 minute ago, matthias said:

So you can feed your DACs with native files and they do the upsampling/converting to DSD256.

Matt

That is correct. One can play native DSD up to 256 and PCM up to 384kHz/32bit. All PCM rates are being converted to DSD by a FPGA-based DSD modulator with DSD128 or DSD256 selectable rates (soon even on the cheaper DSD-SR and upcoming DSD-AR). Digital filter is 64 bit and can be set to Normal, Slow or Zero (no filter at all = perfect impulse response). We have tried many software based DSD modulators (including the one built in Roon), so did many of our customers, but the FPGA-based modulator is always preferred. At least this is the feedback I am getting. 

Alex

21 minutes ago, matthias said:

Alex,

very interesting.

btw, do you have any plans for HIGH END/HIFIDELUXE Munich next year?

Thanks

Matt

The plan is to show again with Davis Acoustics (speakers) and Esprit Audio (cables) in the Atrium 4.2, Room 205 at the Munich High-End.  

If you have plans to visit, it would be nice to meet you there. 

Alex

5 hours ago, Alex Peychev said:

Audirvana also has a built-in OS optimization for audio playback which is a big plus when the DAC is connected via USB to the computer.

Is this an option that can be turned off? I'm reluctant to try Audirvana because I don't want it "optimizing" my OS.