The Computer Audiophile

Neil Young Archives Gives Us A Shout-out

Rate this topic

Hey Guys - I was just alerted to the fact that the Neil Young Archives site gave us a shout-out. I'm honoredby it, but after a closer look, i discovered the NYA republished my Qobuz article word for word, without real attribution or a link back to the source. Kind of surprising from Neil Young. 

Nei Young Archives page - https://neilyoungarchives.com/news/2/article?id=Viewpoint-Qobuz-bold-price-move

My article - https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/qobuz-tugs-on-supermans-cape-makes-bold-move-with-industrys-best-pricing-r854/

NYA screenshot:

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 10.07.56 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style

You should definitely demand a credit on the page. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 minutes ago, firedog said:

You should definitely demand a credit on the page. 

Credit ? Allowing republication for credit / linkbacks is what you'd do with a friendly, good-faith actor. In this case, I'd say screw that, payment.

Unless he's made a deal with the other publications and authors (both writers and photographers) whose work he's lifting, that's infringement as well. If that's the case, it's beyond "surprising", it's disgusting, because he can't argue he doesn't realize exactly what he's doing.

57 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

Allowing republication for credit / linkbacks is what you'd do with a friendly, good-faith actor.

Exactly how I feel. Usually people ask to republish a portion of something and they always offer proper attribution and linkbacks. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Did they just add the "NYA Thanks The Computer Audiophile" at the end? Would be great if they added a hyperlink, too.

2 minutes ago, JoshM said:

Did they just add the "NYA Thanks The Computer Audiophile" at the end? Would be great if they added a hyperlink, too.

Still not clear (if you didn't already know) that they took the text from this site. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

It's actually an issue with the NYA site. It doesn't work on mobile very well. 

bummer. 

No electron left behind...

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was alerted to the NYA post last night. It contained the "Thanks..." at the bottom when I first saw it up there. 

However, a thanks after stealing someone's content, not telling them in the first place, no real attribution, and no link back is pretty bad. 

Ah, I thought that was in response to your emailing them. Definitely time to reach out to Neil, then. 

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Post a few of his music tracks, or a chapter from his book, here and see how quickly his lawyers pounce.

But don't forget to say thanks..

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm going to reach out to Neil. 

Poor Neil is having trouble getting US citizenship due to use of marijuana.  This is actually US policy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/11/arts/music/neil-young-citizenship-marijuana.html

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's