IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

22 hours ago, DarqueKnight said:

Which thermal epoxy did you use?

Can it be easily removed?

PM sent. :-)

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbie’s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2’s (no stock PS’s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.

On 8/1/2021 at 12:00 PM, DandyDen said:

Thanks, I think the clock cable is the culprit, however I just made a DC power cable from the Delund Silver foil, in oiled silk dielectric for the LPS that powers the Clock and it hasn’t happened since I installed it, but I still suspect the clock cable…… 

I’m 98% sure it’s the clock cable, but the clock cable I’m using sounds so much better than every other clock cable I’ve tried or auditioned….. for now im putting up with the occasional loss of connection on the B side

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Oggo said:

100% agreed. Click here to read my findings!

Really useful information.  You mention that the Hypsos can utilize different voltages.  What voltage are you using with the etherREGEN?

Thanks.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

31 minutes ago, PYP said:

Really useful information.  You mention that the Hypsos can utilize different voltages.  What voltage are you using with the etherREGEN?

Thanks.

I use Hypsos for my etherRegen and use the Hypsos preset for etherRegen - 9V DC

1 minute ago, sgb said:

I use Hypsos for my etherRegen and use the Hypsos preset for etherRegen - 9V DC

Thanks.  

I'm assuming you tried 7V and 12V too.   Seems the Hypsos allows you to try these on the fly.  Is that correct?

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

10 hours ago, PYP said:

Thanks.  

I'm assuming you tried 7V and 12V too.   Seems the Hypsos allows you to try these on the fly.  Is that correct?

No, I was satisfied with the sound with the 9V DC. The Hypsos have a voltage range of 5-30V with up to 6A. You can adjust the voltage down to a tenth of a volt. So I may try 9.1V DC to my etherRegen. 🙂

17 hours ago, PYP said:

What voltage are you using with the etherREGEN?

I tried with 9 V (preset) first but changed to 12 V during my testing for comparison reasons. You can calibrate in 0.1 V steps using the Hypsos´ build in sweetspot-feature. In fact, I will do that, when I get my ordered Audioquest power cable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 4:37 AM, skatbelt said:

I would like to go on a little longer on the subject. After all, this is the experimentation thread and it is related to how the ER works... 😉

Last night I did another experiment. I replaced the EMO EN-70HD between the Mac Mini and the ER (A side) with the DX pair. At this place I do hear a small improvement without negative effects. I am curious if this is due to the 'in series' of two transformers. In other words, whether two EMOs in series would have the same effect.

So for now my conclusions are:
- DX pair does not work positively between ISP Router and opticalModule
- DX pair works positively between Mac mini and close to ER (A-side; all short 1-foot cat6 UTP cables)
- DX pair works better than single EMO EN-70HD between Mac mini and ER (A-side)
- No transformer at all between Mac mini and ER A-side is a big step back in SQ <- @Superdad disputed this way, way back

Maybe I should have listened to @One and a half right away ...

I don't have the EMO EN-70HD, but the folks at EMO recommended the EN-80e to me for audio and gave me a discount code which they encouraged me to share. 'audio85e' got $10 off and free shipping.  I'm happy with the result.

_EN-85e.png.0d61d2c3fdb2cbea3fb12b65b44b342d.png

On 5/19/2021 at 5:21 AM, skatbelt said:

Find attached the datasheet of the Emo EN-70 series.

I thought the most logical place for the DX's is where I put them now. Please note that my (Uptone DC modded) Mac mini is only serving as a Roon server. I can easily determine it's (negative) effect in electrical terms by temporarily switching it off and comparing the sound quality with the very good player software of the dCS Network Bridge (Mosaic), which also supports Qobuz. The Emo EN-70HD brings Mac mini/Roon on par with Mosaic.

So if I omit the mac mini my current chain is:

ISP router > DX > short Telegartner CAT6 UTP > DX > OpticalModule (fed by LPS-1.2) > 10m fiber with Finisar SFP's > EtherREGEN (fed by JS-2) > Ghent Belden CAT6A (JSSG360) > dCS Network Bridge > ..

(DX's for the time being connected with with the supplied short cables, ISP router with factory SMPS and with 2 other (noisy) ethernet devices connected; a Synolgy NAS and a Orbi mesh system)

Datasheet_EN-70-V40-1591535.pdf 1.8 MB · 45 downloads

I recently called EMO for a recommendation and they recommended the EN-85e because it had the lowest insertion losses and they provided the attached comparison.  They also gave me a discount code 'audio85e' to share. ($10off and free shipping)

compare.png

Which of these 3 options will produce the best theoretical signal to the DAC? Assuming that everything upstream is by the book and that power supplies, DC cables, Ethernet cables, SFPs and optical cables are optimal.

The diagram shows:
• eR x 2 (Uptone EtherRegen)
• oM (Sonore opticalModule Deluxe)
• oR (Sonore opticalRendu)
• Cisco (Cisco 2960 Catalyst Switch)
• RJ45 (Ghent LAN cable)
• 1.2 LPS (Uptone UltraCaps 1.2 LPS)
• JS-2 LPS (Uptone JS-2 PSU)
• SFP Transceiver (Sonore SystemOptique approved)
• Optical Cable (Sonore SystemOptique approved)

278941071_MySetUp2021-V22-oR-Alternatives.thumb.jpg.decb6328e6dec11a95e23eda9aceb634.jpg

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

...I would select Alt3 @TwinPeak. When possible, I prefer the simpler solution, with fewer conversions and devices. It also has the virtue of being cheaper. 

And I don't see any degradation in SQ, although these things can be user and system-specific. 

In a diagram, we can't tell distances and other influences that might make a particular solution "better" in your use-case. Those would be more practical considerations, rather than theoretical, perhaps.

I have not used the OR, but have used the eRG and OM devices, which I think are excellent. Good Luck! 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

32 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Has anyone tried to replace the ER feet with other isolation feet and if so did you notice a difference?

I have my ERs sandwiched in between two HRS Nimbus. 

I think it’s worth doing. Like so many things, it’s a small incremental improvement. Adds to a lower noise floor, etc. 

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

From user manual:

Locating the EtherREGEN:
During use, it is normal for the case of the EtherREGEN to become somewhat hot. 48~52C (118~126F), depending on room air temperature is to be expected. Do not be concerned about the heat. Even when hot, all parts are operating at less than half their thermal ratings. The case is the heat-sink. Please locate the EtherREGEN on a shelf where air can flow under and around it. If the heat of the case bothers you, standing it on edge will permit more airflow and will lower the case temperature by a few degrees. Do not stack other devices under or on top of the EtherREGEN.

New to Etherregen and loving it! Three questions that probably have been asked before:

- If I power the ER with a JS-2, do I need to connect the ER to ground using the screw connection? I think JS-2 has lifted ground. 
- If I power the ER with one output of the JS-2, the streamer (SOtM SMS- ultra) and USB filter (SOtM txUSB ultra) with another PSU and the following following Mutec MC3+USB with the other output from JS-2, will I still short the moat on the ER? (i.e. defeat isolation)
- Even if everything runs on different PSU, will all those units not be connected galvanically through clock cables from my Mutec Ref 10 - which clocks each? 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

21 minutes ago, Mihaylov said:

Please, if not difficult, check for galvanic isolation as described here . This will answer your question.

Thanks. Now, I read it through and yes, it basically answers at least my last question question, as now I looked at the REF 10 manual:
"Eight galvanically isolated, individually switchable BNC clock outputs" - so I'm fine there. 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

2 hours ago, zoltan said:

Thanks. Now, I read it through and yes, it basically answers at least my last question question, as now I looked at the REF 10 manual:
"Eight galvanically isolated, individually switchable BNC clock outputs" - so I'm fine there. 

Has anyone tried checking the resistance between the grounds of these outputs? Is that resistance equal to 0 or is there a gap (very large resistance)?

44ECD5E0-B890-440B-B9A3-5BBFE205A064.thumb.jpeg.e51ec67854ff4f9425ba922e0b49b004.jpeg

They could just be using the caps, in which case the grounds are probably connects, but they might have something else in there.

John S.

Therefore

all those units be connected galvanically through clock cables from my Mutec Ref 10 - which clocks each

Please check with a multimeter if there is a connection between the connector grounds in Mutec.