IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

5 minutes ago, Stevem324 said:

Are you saying to remove power from the ER, flip the external clock switch, then power up the ER?  Is their a reason to suspect the external clock is causing the issue?

No. Flip the switch. Then in and out with power. 
Yes, there is a reason to suspect. I had same issues. 

46 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

No. Flip the switch. Then in and out with power. 
Yes, there is a reason to suspect. I had same issues. 

Currently I’m listening and no issues.  Should I wait until the next time my N100H loses connection to try flipping the switch and in and out with the power?

How did you resolve your issue?

25 minutes ago, Stevem324 said:

Currently I’m listening and no issues.  Should I wait until the next time my N100H loses connection to try flipping the switch and in and out with the power?

It’s my understanding this dropouts happen after a while. I was more thinking flipping now, and observe if it ever happens again. Just leave music on even after you go to sleep. (Mute volume). If not happen, the cause may be the clock, or rather the clock cable. The EtherRegen is sensitive to the clock signal. 

How do you power the EtherRegen ?

BTW, how do you know that it’s actually Aurender N100H that looses network connection ? Ever switch ethernet cable ?

Are you familiar using command interface and ping ?

Where / what is your DHCP server?

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

It’s my understanding this dropouts happen after a while. I was more thinking flipping now, and observe if it ever happens again. Just leave music on even after you go to sleep. (Mute volume). If not happen, the cause may be the clock, or rather the clock cable. The EtherRegen is sensitive to the clock signal. 

How do you power the EtherRegen ?

BTW, how do you know that it’s actually Aurender N100H that looses network connection ? Ever switch ethernet cable ?

Are you familiar using command interface and ping ?

Where / what is your DHCP server?

I don’t know that my N100H is the root cause for losing the network connection.  I use 2 Paul Hynes SR4T linear power supplies, one for the clock and one for the ER.  I use a DH Labs D-750 75 ohm cable with 75 ohm BNC connectors.  I use my own modem, a Netgear C1000, and a Nighthawk router, and my internet service is Comcast.  I don’t know a thing about command interface and ping.

38 minutes ago, Stevem324 said:

I don’t know a thing about command interface and ping.

In W10 type cmd + enter. A DOS window should open. Type Ping+space+IP-adress you like to verify. 
(Om iPad, you can use Ping Lite app). 

Next time you think you have lost a connection with a device, you can use ping as a verification that you have connection, or not. 

You can also type ping google.com as an example to verify you have connection out. 

https://support.n4l.co.nz/s/article/How-to-use-Ping

You will find assigned ip addresses in your router that is your DHCP server. Hard wired items may be assigned a fixed ip. 

Also check you have the latest firmware. 

Hope this helps you to further investigate where the source for your problems is. 

If, you ending up with suspecting the clock cable, here is a reasonable priced and good alternative:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BZWY57M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or try out the Mini-Circuits filter. In my case I had to remove the filter, but then again I’m using a T-splitter that complicates things. 

8 hours ago, Stevem324 said:

I don’t have the handshake issue but my N100H often disconnects from my network.

Also, it this is what really happens, maybe the SSD needs replacement? (Or memory?)

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34917

Seems you have a spinning disk ? 
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/aurender-n100h-mods

https://aurenderug.wordpress.com/aurender-remote-support/

FYI - See my sig. I run an Aurender N10 with ER + Paul Hynes SR4T currently, and with the stock wall wart to the ER in prior config. I've never had any hiccups pre or post the LPS, just better sound. Your config looks more complex than mine, but just wanted to share my experience.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Spinning disk used for the OS ?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you rephrase?

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

@ R1200CL, thank you for your suggestions!  I think I've found the root cause of my issues but I won't know for sure for a few days.   I think my WiFi extender was the source of my issues including disconnects and music occasionally studdering.   I changed my WiFi extender to a Netgear model that I was using in another area of my home.  Since the change, I have not experienced an issue.  I think my old extender was getting progressively worse such that I was experiencing issues almost daily.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the issue has been resolved but I need more time to make sure. 

14 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Is Linux installed on a SSD, or HD ?

I assume that Linux is on the smaller 240GB SSD, but that is just an assumption. The N10 has a 240SG SSD and a 1TB HD. 

2 hours ago, Pokey77 said:

I assume that Linux is on the smaller 240GB SSD, but that is just an assumption. The N10 has a 240SG SSD and a 1TB HD. 

This is correct (the OS and the cache are both on the SSD, the HD is your own personal collection of music. 
I Have had similar connection drop outs and hick ups with Aurender and ER combo and so has a couple of others. 
I think the suspicion is that the ER is taking longer time than the Aurender wants to see (in milliseconds) to load connection and stream, etc 

I should have mentioned that I never turn off the ER + LPS or my system. The N10 is on all the time. Even when I power down to change a cable, the N10 is up and running ASAP. Just my experience.

3 minutes ago, brianbonf said:

Does anyone know if its recommended tp turn off the etherregen between usages?

I don't think most do. I never turn it off. Just have it under a desk in good airflow. 

On 6/15/2021 at 10:17 AM, Stevem324 said:

@ R1200CL, thank you for your suggestions!  I think I've found the root cause of my issues but I won't know for sure for a few days.   I think my WiFi extender was the source of my issues including disconnects and music occasionally studdering.   I changed my WiFi extender to a Netgear model that I was using in another area of my home.  Since the change, I have not experienced an issue.  I think my old extender was getting progressively worse such that I was experiencing issues almost daily.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the issue has been resolved but I need more time to make sure. 

Just to follow-up on my connectivity issues with my Aurender N100H and ER, I can confirm that changing my WiFi booster from a Helios-EX RE2200T to a Netgear EAX80 has resolved all issues.  My old booster was about 3-4 years old.  As an added bonus, I think the sound quality is better with the new booster.  

Hi guys

I have the ER and I was wondering about trying to connect it to my Router with SFP modules and fiber, to test it against the Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable I have today.

The distance between them is not big, about 5 to 6 feet, but it runs through a pipe line shared with other cables (a speaker cable and a DC cable).

Some questions:

1- Will fiber make a difference in SQ considering that? 

2- If it will make it, wich budget SFP module would you recomend? Brand, model, etc 

3- I'm sorry for the ignorance on the field, but if I buy compatible SFP modules and fiber cable, are they just plug and play devices or do they need some configuration?

I would appreciate opinions of real experiences. I don't want to start a tech debate. I select my gear by SQ, not specs, as trust my ears first.

Thank you!

PS: I know some of you already posted about this topic, but there are to much pages that it's hard to find the information I need. 

On 2/18/2021 at 7:17 AM, MarkusBarkus said:

@Rsbrsvp You said 101, so... 

As others have said, and you can search here for a lot of info on fiber optic usage in the audio chain. 

Boiled down: the wavelength of the transceivers (SFPs) you get must match at both ends. And the fiber cable should meet the same wavelength spec.

Although I have mixed brands of the same wavelength, it's probably better for you to keep things uniform to avoid possible issues and troubleshooting headaches.

Most people here seem to favor Single Mode (SM) fiber. Multimode (MM) also exists. MM will usually be orange; SM probably yellow. 

The differences are in the internal construction of the cable, the wavelength of the light, and the type of laser used to send that light.

MM is rated for shorter distances (a few 100 meters, IIRC) while SM will go for miles.

Both work well for audio. I have runs of MM, SM, Cat6a and hot-rodded ethernet cable for testing. I didn't hear a dif SM or MM. It's only ~35'/12m cable run.

Some speculate that using SM modules requires attenuation, although many use them without it, myself included. I don't need any more plugs and devices in the chain.

Will the receiving SFP become saturated with too much light? Perhaps theoretically. Practically??

If you're not running a multi-kilometer link, you could use either, in the event you have trouble sourcing SM.

Just be sure it all matches wavelength. As noted by others: Cable=>SFP=>device on both ends. 

The SFPs are small, so handling them may take a little practice.

To install, you have to give them a firm push into the device "outlet."

Use that little metal "bail" to pull them out of devices. 

For the cable, you have to remove the little plastic covers on the ends of the connectors. These protect the actual glass cable ends. Chance of dropping one of them and losing it behind your gear is 50/50. 😉

Don't touch the ends of the cable, as fingerprint smudges are not helpful here. And your next post will be asking about how to polish fiber optic cable.

Also, the cable connectors can be a little finicky. You have to depress the top little levers to insert into the SFP. Opposite to remove: Depress and pull. 

Good luck. Lots of info here and people to help. 

I use Planet SFPs:

E775A2D9-42FE-49D6-96C4-738E18309506.thumb.jpeg.dba3a25411a3986c4591e30bab40b737.jpeg

Cable for these SFPs:

B4C689FD-34C7-4EB6-B96A-9E2595B294F0.thumb.jpeg.c29c1ffb460fa3e5d9bf72d7da329d11.jpeg
Used in OM:

E12B3AB8-EBE9-49B8-97C1-97858A5C0C6E.thumb.jpeg.f60aa6457b254a8a3f320b7309a5e1b8.jpeg
Open SFP outlet in EReGen:

0D041E5A-B48A-4C89-A05D-5494D12066F6.thumb.jpeg.39dd08ed3f16958aaeff2a08423e8f57.jpeg

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 6/21/2021 at 1:27 PM, GMG said:

Does anyone here have  recommendation for a good 75ohm male BNC to male BNC adaptor?
I can't seem to find one from Belden/Canare 

Amazon.com: TOOGOO BNC Male To BNC Male Adapter: Home Audio & Theater

From my research, those adapters mess up the impedance. Stay away if you can. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

8 hours ago, PLGA said:

1- Will fiber make a difference in SQ considering that? 

Impossible to say 😀

For sure, any unwanted loops will disappear. 

8 hours ago, PLGA said:

2- If it will make it, wich budget SFP module would you recomend? Brand, model, etc 

Use single mode and DBF laser. Finisar 1421 is good, and should be found cheap on eBay. 
https://audiophilestyle.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=82650

You can also use SFP+ mudule. 
https://audiophilestyle.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=82648

You may check comparability with your switch/router. EtherRegen works with both. 

Yes, it’s plug and play. 
You want yellow cable with blue connectors. 

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Impossible to say 😀

For sure, any unwanted loops will disappear. 

Use single mode and DBF laser. Finisar 1421 is good, and should be found cheap on eBay. 
https://audiophilestyle.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=82650

You can also use SFP+ mudule. 
https://audiophilestyle.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=82648

You may check comparability with your switch/router. EtherRegen works with both. 

Yes, it’s plug and play. 
You want yellow cable with blue connectors. 

Thank you!