IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

10 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

I’d like to second MatinT: the DX filters have sucked the life out of my music. Tried both shielded and unshielded cables, with the same dismal results.

I’d say that if you already enjoy great sound, don’t go near them.  

may be they take so many distortions away that the songs being used to show iritiations which couldn't be heard before - thats what I notice and it is not the fault of the DX s but its revealing of whats behind the curtain

4 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

It could be that in people whose LPS and cables etc. have already been tuned very well, that a deterioration can occur with the DX, as with me here too.

For people who have not yet tuned their entire set, the DX will certainly be able to give a (big) improvement and then it is a very cheap tweak.

I was thinking along the same lines: maybe upstream network optimization are key difference amongst users and affects the ressuts? I remember MartinT mentioned his upstream network was optimized (LPS for router, etc), and my recollection from Rsbrsvp is that he didn't. Could it be that DX is filtering out high frequency components injected by mediocre SMPS upstream (like from the router), so if you don't have such SMPS to start with then you are better off?

If that were the case the DX would be a much cheaper way to chean that noise than an LPS for the router, provided there is at least one eR downstream.

Roon Server: Gigabyte GA-Z170X UD5, i5 6600, Crucial MX200 SSD, HyperX 1x16GB RAM, Seasonic 520W 80+ PSU, 3 HDD for media, Zalman Z3 Plus case, Win 10 Pro, convolving in Roon digital xo + DRC + upsampling. Output through ethernet.

Roon Client AudioPC: Intel S1200KPR, Xeon E3 1265lv2, Crucial V4 SSD for OS, 8GB ECC RAM, PPA USB card v2, wide range picoPSU, PPA SATA cable for SSD, Streacom FC8 Evo case, lab linear PSU for picoPSU, Windows Server 2012 R2, AudioPhil's Optimizer, Acourate (digital crossovers, room correction )

Rest of Chain:

Uptone ISO Regen (with LPS 1.2) into Lynx Hilo as 6-channel DAC, McIntosh MC275 MkIV for mids & treble, Hypex UcD400HG for midbass into B&W 804S, 2 DIY 12" Rythmik subs, Equi=Core 1800 balanced power, dedicated power lines, room treatments

Really guys? Gary made a whole thread dedicated to discussion or the little DX Engineering passive transformers, yet still you debate about them here...:S

[I’d move all your posts over there but my moderator privileges only permit me to move posts between threads in our sponsored area—and I’m not going to bother Chris to do it.]

Due to some of the negative reviews of the DX I have done some comparisons over the last few hours with the DX in my system and with it out.  I switched back and forth multiple times.  My goal was to try to hear from the perspective of those who do NOT like the DX effects. So I tried to program my mind to put on a fresh hat when I listened.

I believe I succeeded in my goal.   I can now understand both perspectives.  The DX in the system sounds to my ears more "stripped" or "sterile" perhaps.  I could definitely hear listeners say that it kind of lacks "life".  

With out the DX, the sound has more "tonal color".

I actually appreciate the votes against the DX because they forced me to re-listen and re-compare.

I could really hear people going wither way.  The DX may be to "stripped" for long term pleasure.

The effect of the DX is actually very similar in my system to adding or subtracting an attenuator to the end of my fiber cable before entrance to the ER.  The more the attenuation, the more stripped it sounded, but the less tonal color.

I must admit that I can tune my brain in both directions if I make the effort....

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Really guys? Gary made a whole thread dedicated to discussion or the little DX Engineering passive transformers, yet still you debate about them here...:S

[I’d move all your posts over there but my moderator privileges only permit me to move posts between threads in our sponsored area—and I’m not going to bother Chris to do it.]

Sorry about the off topic discussion.....  You are really correct.

Speaking for myself only, you can erase, move or delete my posts.  I gain nothing from them remaining here long term...

6 hours ago, One and a half said:

Where did you place the DX that made the SQ worse again?

Right between the 4G router and the ER, coupled to a single 5m length of MeiCord ethernet cable both ends.

Apologies, @Superdad , will stop the DX discussion now.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore ultraRendu streamer > Mutec MC-3+ USB reclocker > LKS MH-DA004 DAC > Burson AB-160 XLR buffer > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark Giesemann master clock. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators. Coherent, Mad Scientist, Belden & Canare cables.

https://theaudiostandard.net

40 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Right between the 4G router and the ER, coupled to a single 5m length of MeiCord ethernet cable both ends.

Apologies, @Superdad , will stop the DX discussion now.

Don't stop the DX discussion, continue it here

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Well, another OT. 
Please vote and push the development of digital audio the right way. 
I forgot to suggest, clock out as well….

Or have the it on isoRegen  the sucessor…

🤗🙏🤗

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the 9v Farad Super3 to power my ER.   I notice Farad also has a DC Y cable that can feed power to 2 components.   I am thinking to try that to feed both ER and the USB/I2S Matrix. Has anyone tried or seen any issues with it?

1 hour ago, hpfish said:

I just bought the 9v Farad Super3 to power my ER.   I notice Farad also has a DC Y cable that can feed power to 2 components.   I am thinking to try that to feed both ER and the USB/I2S Matrix. Has anyone tried or seen any issues with it?

Hi! hpfish,

The Farad DC Y cable will work just fine with your 2 devices. ER + USB/I2S Matrix consume less then 3A for 9V. 

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.  

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: Goldmund 21D Convertor Mono Block x 2 

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Rovox PR99 MKII Open Reel

Digital Player: AfterDark. Rosanna Network Bridge x Roon Bridge OCXO Edition x JS-2

Dealer: SMSL, Gustard, Cybershaft, Pachanko Studio, UpTone Audio, Waversa, DELA

7 hours ago, hpfish said:

It is best for the SQ to use the Farad for 1 device and not with the Y cable to two devices.

On 4/12/2021 at 6:49 PM, octaviars said:

I use Finisar FTLF-1321P1BTL SFP modules and Corning ClearCurve cable between my EdgeRouter and eR.

Have you tested any 10 GB Finisar modules?

29 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Why would 10gb modules help if the OM and ER only transfer in 1 gb?

The optical tread answers that. Basically we believe it’s better specs and almost none phase noice etc. Hence you use the stressed eye pattern test. 
Also standardize on those modules is future proof. 

I have no evidence that 10GB is better than 1 GB when it comes to SQ, given you’re using single mode and DBF laser. 

On 5/30/2021 at 2:32 PM, soares said:

Or have the it on isoRegen  the sucessor…

🤗🙏🤗

Of course. The future digital products should either have a expensive clock inside, maybe not a good idea, or an external clock interface.  Further the development in future ought to be optical for any digital interface.

(This has been discussed in another thread). 

On 5/11/2021 at 7:34 AM, Ahura77 said:

Hi everyone

I face also some dropouts when using Etherregen in my chain. I tested my network connection without ER and no problem. When I add ER again to the chain, it seems that network issues starts. I use Aurender as a streamer .There is always a handshake problem with Linux based AURENDER streamer which can be very annoying.

Yesterday I turned off -plugged out devices and changed my hifi rack. When everything was in place turning on ER and waiting for  a proper handshake with Aurender was a pain. It took 30 minutes to be able to have a proper network which started with dropouts again after 30-40 minutes. If I search for root cause I can not say it is cable dependent because I can use ER +Aurender combination with same cables without any issue for some months. Whenever I turn off ER for some reason and connect each cable/device again the handshake do not start easily. As I mentioned I try many times (turn off ER,plug out ethernet cables and then plug in in a correct order etc.) to get the proper network connection.  Today in the morning it happened again. How I solved it? I plugged the ethernet cable which comes from WIFI extender directly to Aurender. When Aurender get the IP easily I plugged out the cable and plugged everything to ER again. That worked but there is no magica solution for this. You have to try again and again to have ER -Aurender handshake properly which is not easy. Anyway I am tired with this problem.

I also have an Aurender N100H and ER.  I don’t have the handshake issue but my N100H often disconnects from my network.  I have to shut down the N100H, then shut down my LPS powering the ER, then I shut down my LPS to my Optical Module Deluxe, and finally shut off my WiFi extender.  I power everything back up in reverse order starting with the WiFi extender and lastly the N100H.  Usually it won’t disconnect until I’m done listening.  I leave everything powered up over night but when I try to stream something the next day, often my N100H is disconnected.  Sometimes it disconnects during my listening session.  I also have an AfterDark Queen OCXO clock connected to my ER.  For reference, I also have a Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker and the Holo May KTE.  When everything is working, the sound is absolutely fantastic!  The dropouts are extremely annoying and I’m considering trading in my N100H for a Innuos Zenith mk3.  Anyone with a N100H figure out the cause of these dropouts?

After thinking about my previous post, the dropouts aren’t the most annoying issue, it’s the glitchy playback that’s most annoying.  When my N100H disconnects it’s playback becomes glitchy.  I can easily reconnect to my network that’s not a problem.  After reconnecting, the glitchy playback continues.   I just noticed in the Aurender Conductor app there is clear cashe option in the advanced settings.  I may try clearing the cashe the next time I get the glitchy playback.  Anyone else having issues with their N100H?  

Does anyone have an Innuos Zenith mk3 or a higher level Aurender that can comment or their satisfaction when used with the Etherregen?   I couldn’t be happier with the SQ of my setup so I really don’t want to upgrade my N100H but if I continue to have these issues I may end up doing so.

3 minutes ago, Stevem324 said:

I haven’t tried disconnecting the AfterDark Queen clock?

Use the switch on EtherRegen while everything is running. Draw power plug in and out to the EtherRegen. It’s best way to do. It’s a simple way to search for errors. 

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

Use the switch on EtherRegen while everything is running. Draw power plug in and out to the EtherRegen. 

Are you saying to remove power from the ER, flip the external clock switch, then power up the ER?  Is their a reason to suspect the external clock is causing the issue?