IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

6 hours ago, PYP said:

I know it is time to move on from the DXE filter discussion, but I think I owe @MasterWarzombie the kind of review he loves.  This one is for you MW.

I plugged the first DXE filter into my router and the second into an opticalModule.  Immediately, I heard a depth and rightness.  Previously, my very transparent system allowed me to detect that the singer had eaten a lozenge for her sore throat before the performance.  Now, I could tell it was lemon flavored.  As the music played, a small bird flew into the house, landed on my arm and started to sing with the music.  A cricket hopped into the house and added his percussion in perfect time to the upright bass.  I looked outside and the clouds had parted.  Suddenly, a double rainbow appeared.  The color of the second rainbow was in reverse order of the first, as if to symbolize using two DXE filters.  I was speechless and my mind went blank.  Until a single thought emerged:  what if I used a second set of filters in series?  

cool, PYP - poesie instead of measurements - what a relief!

19 hours ago, roman410 said:

Maybe @One and a half can post his discovery on A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming thread or make dedicated thread where we can freely continue on this topic.

I am feel a lot more folks can profit from positive effect of DX filters not only EtherRegen owners.

Ok , I will do this 😉

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 5/25/2021 at 2:54 AM, PYP said:

I know it is time to move on from the DXE filter discussion, but I think I owe @MasterWarzombie the kind of review he loves.  This one is for you MW.

I plugged the first DXE filter into my router and the second into an opticalModule.  Immediately, I heard a depth and rightness.  Previously, my very transparent system allowed me to detect that the singer had eaten a lozenge for her sore throat before the performance.  Now, I could tell it was lemon flavored.  As the music played, a small bird flew into the house, landed on my arm and started to sing with the music.  A cricket hopped into the house and added his percussion in perfect time to the upright bass.  I looked outside and the clouds had parted.  Suddenly, a double rainbow appeared.  The color of the second rainbow was in reverse order of the first, as if to symbolize using two DXE filters.  I was speechless and my mind went blank.  Until a single thought emerged:  what if I used a second set of filters in series?  

I like this kind of poetry following the contribution of a filter.
For a second set of DX in series, I recommend a good month of additional burn in. You will see a siren come out of the filter and offer you a good glass of French wine.

For my part, I abandon the tweak a little in terms of music because I am satisfied, finally my ear with the contribution of my audiophile investments.
Enjoy your music

After around two weeks burn-in my first DX and now my second pair between my NAS and side A of ER burning in for two days, I must say that I am more confident than ever that my initial reaction was NOT overstated.

The change is indeed "appreciable" and in fact, after burn-in, even more appreciable than I originally thought.  In terms of value for the money, this tweak grades WORLD CLASS- period.............

I am considering two pairs of DX's on my main router to OM connection but "one and a half" recommended against this option.

I finally got my Paul Hynes sr4t, one of the last ones to be sent out before the closure. I first tried it on the Sonore OM I have that was using a generic 5V switching psu, since I wanted to try if a linear power supply might be worth to have there. Maybe there was some difference but not that much. I didn't feel I had time to give it a proper testing since I was eager to test the SR4T+ ghent DC-7N16C Neotech cable in the Etherregen, so I put the Upton switching psu that I had been using in the ER in the OM and the SR4t in the ER. That made an immidiate and big difference, much more bass that is more defined, with a more dynamic sound and a general sense of calmness at the same time. Voice texture seems better too. Well worth the money even though it doubles the price of the whole thing.

I run Synology NAS --  Asus 87 router -- Sonore OM and fiber 15 m -- Etherregen with PH sr4t -- Allo digione signature with Sbooster psu -- Denfrips Hermes -- Denafrips Terminator (late 2020 version) -- Cary SLP 05 preamp -- Mcintosh 452 poweramp -- PBN Montana XP speakers

I'm going to try a set between my cable modem in the garage and my Nighthawk router (the latter powered by an Sbooster LPS). Unfortunately, when I built my house, I just ran low end Cat 5 between them, not thinking that I'd ever be playing music over that link!

Andy

I just (finally) got a Farad Super 3 power supply today that I plan on using to power my EtherRegen since I’ve read lots of positive posts about the synergy between them. 
The current power supply I’m using (a Vinnie Rossi Supercapacitor supply (which I will probably be listing for sale on here if anyone is interested) has a built-in switching power supply which charges the dual Supercapacitor output banks, similar to how the LPS-1.2 works when paired with the included external meanwell SMPS. 
Because of the SMPS, I have been using a Shunyata VR14 Digital as the power cable for it, which is supposed to filter out and block SMPS noise and AC line leakage. 
My question/ curiosity is should I continue to use the VR14 Digital with the Farad, or would it be better for me to use the Shunyata NR 12 I bought from you instead? 
Last, my Farad came with only the free basic DC cable, I’m assuming it would benefit me to purchase a level 2 from them or something from Audio Sensibility or even Ghent ? 
I have a spare Synergistic Research Blue Fuse that’s the correct size and power, so I’m going to use that for now, but also seems like most people rave about the newer Orange fuse with the Farad? 
Thanks for your help and opinions on this !!! 

19 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

After around two weeks burn-in my first DX and now my second pair between my NAS and side A of ER burning in for two days, I must say that I am more confident than ever that my initial reaction was NOT overstated.

The change is indeed "appreciable" and in fact, after burn-in, even more appreciable than I originally thought.  In terms of value for the money, this tweak grades WORLD CLASS- period.............

I am considering two pairs of DX's on my main router to OM connection but "one and a half" recommended against this option.

yes, there could be too much sugar in the coffee :)

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

23 hours ago, Egill23 said:

I finally got my Paul Hynes sr4t, one of the last ones to be sent out before the closure. I first tried it on the Sonore OM I have that was using a generic 5V switching psu, since I wanted to try if a linear power supply might be worth to have there. Maybe there was some difference but not that much. I didn't feel I had time to give it a proper testing since I was eager to test the SR4T+ ghent DC-7N16C Neotech cable in the Etherregen, so I put the Upton switching psu that I had been using in the ER in the OM and the SR4t in the ER. That made an immidiate and big difference, much more bass that is more defined, with a more dynamic sound and a general sense of calmness at the same time. Voice texture seems better too. Well worth the money even though it doubles the price of the whole thing.

I run Synology NAS --  Asus 87 router -- Sonore OM and fiber 15 m -- Etherregen with PH sr4t -- Allo digione signature with Sbooster psu -- Denfrips Hermes -- Denafrips Terminator (late 2020 version) -- Cary SLP 05 preamp -- Mcintosh 452 poweramp -- PBN Montana XP speakers

I must have missed the memo.  What do you mean by “… one of the last ones sent out before the closure”?

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

If you didn’t give the Bg7tbl a great linear power supply, 75 ohm clock cable and dc cable that may be why you didn’t get good results. 
I heard the results easily but I did use a LPS 1.2 and Gotham jssg 360 DC cable and an Apogee Wyde Eye. I left the unit running 5-6 hours before listening. 

I’ve recently upgraded to the AfterDark Clock which didn’t sound as good as the bg7tbl until I put about 36 hours on it. Now my system has never sounded better. 

I connected my Bg7tbl to my first EtherREGEN after a week or so and my system even improved more. 

Those who upgraded to an AfterDark Clock and owned a Bg7tbl abd have purchased or thinking of purchasing another EtherREGEN don’t sell off the Bg7tbl connect it to the first EtherREGEN in your system. 

Your in for a treat. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

On 5/27/2021 at 4:13 PM, sgr said:

Those who upgraded to an AfterDark Clock and owned a Bg7tbl abd have purchased or thinking of purchasing another EtherREGEN don’t sell off the Bg7tbl connect it to the first EtherREGEN in your system. 

I did sell my BG7TBL but I went one better and bought another AfterDark clock.  One drives my ER and the second (even better) one drives my Mutec.  Sound quality is stunning, I hear so much in the music.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

I’d like to second MatinT: the DX filters have sucked the life out of my music. Tried both shielded and unshielded cables, with the same dismal results.

I’d say that if you already enjoy great sound, don’t go near them.  

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

4 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

I’d like to second MatinT: the DX filters have sucked the life out of my music. Tried both shielded and unshielded cables, with the same dismal results.

Not to argue, but I could make that statement in reverse:  Worked great, get them now!  But I think YMMV is always to be assumed.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

AMAZING.  Absolutely AMAZING.

50% say the DX is a anywhere from somewhat beneficial to magical.

50% say it damages either a little to a lot..

AMAZING!!!!!

I vote for "serious improvement"....

50 minutes ago, Johnnydev said:

It could be that in people whose LPS and cables etc. have already been tuned very well, that a deterioration can occur with the DX, as with me here too.

For people who have not yet tuned their entire set, the DX will certainly be able to give a (big) improvement and then it is a very cheap tweak.

Hard to believe.  Many who claim positive improvement here have excellent power supplies and cables.

Perhaps some networks just have more noise in them than others?  Or perhaps our perceptions if improved sound vs. degraded sound are all different.