IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

I am going to order another ER to pair with the existing one, how should I connect these two ERs, via SFP or RJ45 (B>A sides)?

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

21 minutes ago, mitch751 said:

I am going to order another ER to pair with the existing one, how should I connect these two ERs, via SFP or RJ45 (B>A sides)?

Depends where the existing one is, how the network is structured and where the files are stored. A little drawing or a workflow would help heaps. 😀

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

51 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Depends where the existing one is, how the network is structured and where the files are stored. A little drawing or a workflow would help heaps. 😀

And I believe John has said A > B is slightly more optimal from a design perspective.   @mitch751If possible, it is best to try different configurations and just listen for a week or two.  Better is what you hear as better.   I am using A > B for both.  Would try other configurations but some of the cables are either short enough or long enough to make that a lot of work.  If you have a copper ethernet to your system, one interesting option is B > A  >>fiber >> A > B >>copper ethernet...  With your system, can't believe any configuration will sound anything other than fantastic.  

Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3       Cables:  Kubala-Sosna

Ethernet:  iMac/Roon/Qobuz > ... DXE filter > in-wall 6 UTP > DXE filter > Sonore opticalModule > UpTone EtherREGEN #1 > eR #2 + mini-circuits filter + Cybershaft OP13 clock > Tambaqui ( = DAC/Roon endpoint/volume control)

19 hours ago, PYP said:

And I believe John has said A > B is slightly more optimal from a design perspective.   @mitch751If possible, it is best to try different configurations and just listen for a week or two.  Better is what you hear as better.   I am using A > B for both.  Would try other configurations but some of the cables are either short enough or long enough to make that a lot of work.  If you have a copper ethernet to your system, one interesting option is B > A  >>fiber >> A > B >>copper ethernet...  With your system, can't believe any configuration will sound anything other than fantastic.  

Thank you for the replies .. my current setup as follows :

Router > RJ45 Copper > ER 1 (A side) > SFP > ER 2 (SFP) > B Side > RJ45 Copper >  dCS Network Bridge

May be going to change to :

Router > SFP converter > ER 1 (SFP) > B side > RJ45 Copper > ER 2 (A side) > B side >  RJ45 Copper >  dCS Network Bridge

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

@mitch751

Let us know if your suggested change sounds different. 
It seems you’re only using A side on the first EtherRegen, so crossing the moat, should be an improvement.

What type of fiber and SFP modules are you using ? 
If you don’t have an FMC available yet, you could also test out PYP’s suggestion. 

On 4/6/2021 at 10:49 PM, sgb said:

No, but I use  Hypsos LPS with oR. Even better than Farad super 3 in my opinion.

Awesome, what voltage did you settle on?

Have you tried it with any other products in your arsenal? :D

33 minutes ago, Jmart987 said:

Awesome, what voltage did you settle on?

Have you tried it with any other products in your arsenal? :D

7.5 V on the Hypsos LPS for the oR. (Had an SBooster mkII BOTW P&P ECO PSU for the oR earlier)

I use a Farad super 3 for the eR.

hi guys, I've read a little bit of everything, and there is a lot of mix-up on use for better audio over optical network !!!

For example Taiko Audio Strongly recommend Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Single mode 1550nm 80km modules devices. 1GB SFPs are preferred probably because 10GB + SFPs cost more, much more!

my current config is

PC: main PC i7 fanless with ROON core

NIC: 10Gtek® per Broadcom BCM57810S Chip 10 GIGABIT Ethernet (NIC/CNA), PCI-Express X8, Dual SFP+ Port

Cable: Netgear AXC7615-10000S optical cable, Termination SFP+ a 10 Gbit, 15 m

Switch: QNAP QSW-1208-8C

internet by Netgear R9000 Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router, Tri-band AD7200 (7.2 Gbps), to Qnap Switch with fiber optic cable

This is the wired section in optical fiber.

Then from the Qnap Switch with copper cable go to another switch, the AQ-Switch-8

and here again with a traditional copper network cable go to the Streamer dCS Bridge

from Bridge with Aes-Ebu (Nordost Valhalla 2) to Totaldac Twelve SE

finally from Totaldac go to one of the best preamplifiers and power amplifiers in the world the Dissanayake Audio products (totally handmade unique pieces only on request)!

The question is for you guys who have a lot of experience testing and listening with fiber optic components. how could I improve the situation of the network?

5 hours ago, gionaz said:

how could I improve the situation of the network?

That’s obvious. Purchase one or two 50 ohm EtherRegens 😀

Or one opticalModule and one EtherRegen. And two of the best power supplies you can afford. Like the Uptone ones. Then adding a clock or two to the EtherRegens. Also with the best possible power supplies. Remember good DC cables as well. And use single mode fiber and SFP’s with DBF laser. 
Not sure why both copper and fiber to Qnap ? Ops. Edit. I taught it was a NAS. I see it’s a switch. 

Can we do a poll as to whether 2 ER is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over 1 ER? The second ER+LPS is going to be >$1000 and I don't want to spend this kind of money if it is just going to be a subtle improvement. Often subtle improvements are really the Placebo effect.

41 minutes ago, chungjh said:

Can we do a poll as to whether 2 ER is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over 1 ER?

No we can’t 😇

But you can test with a Cisco 2960 upfront with fiber maybe. That may give you an indication if your system and your ears will notice anything. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-WS-C2960G-8TC-L-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch-2960G-1-Year-Warranty-FREE-SHiP/302433766710

Also don’t forget Alex has a 30 days money back offer. 

(it’s easy to create a poll btw). 

This question is along the lines of the above two posts, but a little different: 2eRs vs eR+oM?

My system is no too refined: internet provider supplied router > CAT6 > eR w/LPS 1.2 > CAT6 > audiophile PC > USB > DAC.

I see people speak highly about adding fiber isolation, which could be done with another eR or a oM before the existing eR. My understanding is the oM would demand a LPS, while it's not clear to me if a eR with the supplied SMPS would be good enough to supply the fiber connection to the eR with LPS 1.2.

eR @ $640 vs oM w/Sonore LPS @ $810.

Thoughts?

Roon Server: Gigabyte GA-Z170X UD5, i5 6600, Crucial MX200 SSD, HyperX 1x16GB RAM, Seasonic 520W 80+ PSU, 3 HDD for media, Zalman Z3 Plus case, Win 10 Pro, convolving in Roon digital xo + DRC + upsampling. Output through ethernet.

Roon Client AudioPC: Intel S1200KPR, Xeon E3 1265lv2, Crucial V4 SSD for OS, 8GB ECC RAM, PPA USB card v2, wide range picoPSU, PPA SATA cable for SSD, Streacom FC8 Evo case, lab linear PSU for picoPSU, Windows Server 2012 R2, AudioPhil's Optimizer, Acourate (digital crossovers, room correction )

Rest of Chain:

Uptone ISO Regen (with LPS 1.2) into Lynx Hilo as 6-channel DAC, McIntosh MC275 MkIV for mids & treble, Hypex UcD400HG for midbass into B&W 804S, 2 DIY 12" Rythmik subs, Equi=Core 1800 balanced power, dedicated power lines, room treatments

21 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

My system is no too refined: internet provider supplied router > CAT6 > eR w/LPS 1.2 > CAT6 > audiophile PC > USB > DAC.

I see people speak highly about adding fiber isolation, which could be done with another eR or a oM before the existing eR.

A rather easy thing to do is to get rid of the router from the ISP and get a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X-SFP that ha one SFP port that you can run directly to the eR. The Ubiquiti runs from 9-26Vdc so lots of possibilitys to use a nice PSU to it.

I use Finisar FTLF-1321P1BTL SFP modules and Corning ClearCurve cable between my EdgeRouter and eR.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

@MarkusBarkus

The “rule” is that a good switch upfront may help. The Cisco is known to be good. A $99 Mikrotik may be a good option. So I’m suggesting some options @chungjh to consider. The best is of cause to have the option to test with an EtherRegen, and as he lives in the US the fright is the price to pay to test this. 

@LewinskiH01

If you read Alex’s latest posts around last 7 days, you may find some gold. Be patient. 

...you're a funny guy. 😉

I had one, two, three and then four Ciscos daisy chained six or eight months ago. Combinations of eRG and Ciscos...and a PFBuffalo switch, so I'm a bit ahead of you on this one, fella. 

My point was: putting a Cisco (or any other switch) in the chain with an eRG or anything else, only tells you what that combination sounds like, nothing else, if you're trying to evaluate a specific use case (two eRGs).

If you want to know what two eRGs sound like, you have to get two of them and try it. You may assert these other methodologies, but it's very different. 

FWIW: at the time, I found two of the Ciscos sounded good, three or more, I did not keep for long. A week, maybe. 

eRG is always very good. PFBuffalo is amazing....at several times the cost.

28 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

PFBuffalo is amazing....at several times the cost.

What is the ting with these Buffaloes ? Isn’t just a well made switch, and nothing else ? It doesn’t have anything of technology that the EtherRegen has or ?

1 hour ago, MarkusBarkus said:

If you want to know what two eRGs sound like, you have to get two of them and try it.

Unless @Superdad has a huge surprise coming with an upgraded EtherRegen with SFP+ (/ SFP28) in and out, I won’t purchase a second EtherRegen. Reason is I use opticalRendu, and hence is forced to reverse B>A configuration. I don’t even know if a better clock will help in my case. But a clock was shipped from HK today. And I added a opticalModule 3 weeks ago. With a Mikrotik upfront. 

Alex has explained that an upgraded EtherRegen will require separate power supplies on each side of the moat among probably a lot of things that I don’t understand. I’m struggling to defend a possible investment of $3K for a switch. And I can’t understand why a “simple” Ethernet DDC shall be that expensive. All you need is one RJ45 and SFP in, and a SFP out. Maybe dual clock and power input. One for each side. 

Some day in the future, I guess something will come. Hopefully other supplies than Sonore and Lumin (and Aqua?) will implement SFP interfaces, that may justify such a development. Or I could hope for an upgraded opticalRendu with external clock input 🙂

I'll try to limit the OT reply, but Buffalo Technologies is the parent company of Melco, right? There were extensive discussions and photos of the MOBOS, etc.

So, yes, a good switch, to which is added a very nice OCXO https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/clock/67-2916-ultra-ocxo.html#/clock_speed-20_mhz 

Add a capacitor board, integrated IsoAcoustics feet and some other wiring and removal of internal PS. 

I power the OCXO with a Farad3 and the main board with Alex's JS2 power supply. 

I am optical in and out. Half of the ports are programmed: off. There were threads on this too...switch layers and processing.

There were shootouts of all this quite a while back. From memory, I recall the eRG finished second to the PFBuffalo...at six-times the cost, or thereabouts. 

Not everyone is going to go through the expense and hassle of developing a PFBuffalo switch (Well, looks like Innous has) but the ethernetReGen product gets you most of that performance, for a fraction of the cost.

And you can just buy it and plug it in. Alex and John have done the work for you!

If you read those posts from about a year ago, you may find some gold. But yes...it's just a switch. 😉

59 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

I'll try to limit the OT reply, but Buffalo Technologies is the parent company of Melco, right? There were extensive discussions and photos of the MOBOS, etc.

So, yes, a good switch, to which is added a very nice OCXO https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/clock/67-2916-ultra-ocxo.html#/clock_speed-20_mhz 

Hi Markus,

Have a look at Afterdarks double Buffalo 16P with a Giesemann Master Clock build in one case threr outputs ( 1 x 10mhz, 2x 25mhz for the 2 Pink Faun OXCO's) and LPS on board for Clock.

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

2 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

FWIW: at the time, I found two of the Ciscos sounded good, three or more, I did not keep for long. A week, maybe. 

I found in my system that adding a Cisco before the Buffalo was detrimental to the overall SQ. 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

5 hours ago, chungjh said:

Can we do a poll as to whether 2 ER is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over 1 ER?

I can answer this in a modified way.  Are two reclockers better than one?

You bet, absolute no-brainer.  ER and Mutec are a fantastic combination.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore ultraRendu streamer > Mutec MC-3+ USB reclocker > LKS MH-DA004 DAC > Burson AB-160 XLR buffer > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark Giesemann master clock. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators. Coherent, Mad Scientist, Belden & Canare cables.

https://theaudiostandard.net