IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

1 hour ago, dbastin said:

Its multiple isolators (incl cables, LPSs etc)  -v- external clock

In case you haven't seen this thread, you might want to ask your question there too.  Some folks are enjoying a $100 clock.  And, as with all audiophile stuff, prices can go very high indeed.  In my own system, a clock + excellent LPS made the largest improvement to the eR and to a clean ethernet stream.  It does add complexity and cost.  I started with the Mola Mola gear being fed copper ethernet.  That was it (and was quite happy).  I should say that the Mola Mola stuff never sounded anything but wonderful, but the cleaner stream does improve the sound.    Of course, as you say, system context is critical.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

This laptop stand has silicone strips to protect equipment.  Anyone using this kind of setup with an eR?  Any concern about the hot eR and the silicone?  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B085MC6ZGL/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A3KXG1XXJBPVPP&psc=1

Thanks.

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I have been using similar unit for my EtherREGEN.   I believe I first read about it per a post from Alex.   It has worked well and no issues with the the silicone strips, sides and bottom for the inserted device, plus on the bottom.  I have some extra Herbie's Tenderfeet and have added them for additional isolation feet under the unit.  The unit is very inexpensive and can be purchased in various finish colors.  I think it's a great choice.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HNGD92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, PYP said:

This laptop stand has silicone strips to protect equipment.  Anyone using this kind of setup with an eR?  Any concern about the hot eR and the silicone?  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B085MC6ZGL/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A3KXG1XXJBPVPP&psc=1

Thanks.

I have been using the Hivexavagon stand since May 2020.  No issues that I can see thus far.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

On 2/7/2021 at 2:40 PM, further said:

I have been using similar unit for my EtherREGEN.   I believe I first read about it per a post from Alex.   It has worked well and no issues with the the silicone strips, sides and bottom for the inserted device, plus on the bottom.  I have some extra Herbie's Tenderfeet and have added them for additional isolation feet under the unit.  The unit is very inexpensive and can be purchased in various finish colors.  I think it's a great choice.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HNGD92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine arrives tomorrow.  It looks like a great recommendation.  I had wondered about the silicon so I'm glad to hear there have been no issues.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

27 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Mine arrives tomorrow.  It looks like a great recommendation.  I had wondered about the silicon so I'm glad to hear there have been no issues.

Mine arrives Friday.  It will hold a LPS 1.2.  Ordered both at the same time, and since I chose Amazon "delivery day," the LPS will be here sooner than the holder.  Let is be said that UpTone beat Amazon in delivery!  Meanwhile, Jeff has a comfortable lead over Alex in accumulating billions.  

31 minutes ago, fuzzypoodle said:

Yet another category of optimization: rack space real estate! 😄  please report on how much space can actually be saved by vertical placement of multiple LPSes, ER, etc! 

Not enough to shake a stick at. 

These stands impose their own footprints and they are larger than the ER.

I just use mine because it looks as though air should circulate better than when the ER is flat on the shelf surface.  Whether that happens or not, I can't tell you, but it doesn't appear the stand is causing any harm. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

6 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I just use mine because it looks as though air should circulate better than when the ER is flat on the shelf surface.  Whether that happens or not, I can't tell you, but it doesn't appear the stand is causing any harm. 

For sure the case is cooler when the ER is oriented upright.  But the dang thing refuses to stay upright due to the pull on it by my cables, so I finally decided to buy this stand.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Fans are also an option. I've used one when the ER was in my rack and ran hotter. A small fan on low worked wonders and didn't seem to affect the sound in any way. I also use a 2-lb door stop on top of the ER. It works as a way to keep it anchored and as a heat sink too.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

Anyway of upgrading the power on a Arris TG1682 G  cable Modem?  Looks like it has an internal supply as no wall wart etc.

I know not the best solution of Cable/modem combo but everything works as it should and sounds great with the EtherRegan cleaning things up.  Just looking for a easy upgrade.

How about a $200 power supply for the EtherRegen?   Everything really sounds good but just cant stop messing around.

Thanks,

Russ  

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

27 minutes ago, PYP said:

This UpTone LPS is a little more than twice that price:  https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

An LPS 1.2 is settling into my system now.  It has only been one day, but it is clearly a nice upgrade to the included SMPS. Long-term, I've found that saving up and buying what I really wanted was the best path for me.  Your mileage, and budget, may vary, of course.  

Yep you are definitely right.  I will check it out.  

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

21 hours ago, Abolive said:

Hi guys,

Running the ER through copper for now, but I would like to try fiber. Can I use any SFP said to be Cisco compatible with a Meraki Ms220? I ask this as this model is getting old and the Cisco specs may have changed.

Thanks!

The SFP "compatibility"  is a number burned into a memory in the module. Different manufacturers have different "Manfacturer ID" numbers. A Cisco switch will look for that number, and if it is not a Cisco number, it won't connect.  It has nothing to do with protocols etc. So as long as the module you buy has a "Cisco" number, you are fine. It is probably best to get two modules so you have the same one for the EtherREGEN. It's not required, but if both are the same you don't have to worry about a mismatch.

John S.

1 hour ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Seems the Sablon is very favored for the B to streamer cable. For router to A and server to A, what do I get?

I understand we want plastic terminated cables here.  Is that correct?

My understanding is the connector can be metal as long as the shield is floating at one end so as to avoid offering a path for leakage current.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:23 PM, dbastin said:

I have experienced considerable sound quality when daisy chaining ER and these other isolators. 

My query is, why is this the case?  Is it reducing phase noise, jitter?

Would an external clock give an equivalent result?

@JohnSwenson, I would greatly appreciate your insights into this, as per my earlier post.

I think this issue applies to daisy chaining any ethernet switches, or media convertors, including daisy chainingvsay a few ERs.  I have wondered at what point the incremental improvement of adding one more device is too little to notice - ie. Is it the 5th, 6th or 8th one that is not worthwhile??

I dont mean to disrepect by referring to Gigafoil in this thread, I would be daisy chaining ERs if I could purchase them at low cost for my (crazy) experiment - ERs have a very good resale price, which is saying something in itself.

1 hour ago, dbastin said:

I think this issue applies to daisy chaining any ethernet switches, or media convertors, including daisy chainingvsay a few ERs.  I have wondered at what point the incremental improvement of adding one more device is too little to notice - ie. Is it the 5th, 6th or 8th one that is not worthwhile??

This review gives you a partial answer to your question, hopefully: