IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

14 minutes ago, chungjh said:
On 1/12/2021 at 11:08 AM, R1200CL said:

Is there now a consensus that the fiber in the chain noticeably improves the SQ?

A consensus probably depends on how many, and who replies.

I do not have two eReGens, I have one. I have had fiber in my system for many months, in various configurations: 10Gtek FMCs, eRG, Sonore OM, two Ciscos, PF Buffalo. 

Regardless of the configuration, IMO fiber is a net-plus in SQ in my system.

I just 15 minutes ago pulled a Corning run the ISP gave me so when they come tomorrow for a new fiber service, they breech the structure, hang their ONT inside, plug and play.

And I get the cable run where and how I want it. Glad to do the work for them.

I will then have a dedicated, audio only, fiber service. That's how much I like fiber. I'll keep the cable ISP for TV and home/phone stuff.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

55 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

I do not have two eReGens, I have one. I have had fiber in my system for many months, in various configurations: 10Gtek FMCs, eRG, Sonore OM, two Ciscos, PF Buffalo. 

I just 15 minutes ago pulled a Corning run the ISP gave me so when they come tomorrow for a new fiber service, they breech the structure, hang their ONT inside, plug and play.

I will then have a dedicated, audio only, fiber service. That's how much I like fiber. I'll keep the cable ISP for TV and home/phone stuff.

Which fiber service? Fios?

33 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Do you have two ISP’s ?

Yes, sir. Spectrum for Internet/WiFi things in the house and cable TV.

Greenlight fiber optic for audio...as of tomorrow.

I'll have to tweak the WiFi channels for best results, I suppose. I am not sure if I can or need to turn off ports in the new/second router to improve performance. 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

2 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

Greenlight fiber optic for audio...as of tomorrow.

I'll have to tweak the WiFi channels for best results, I suppose. I am not sure if I can or need to turn off ports in the new/second router to improve performance. 

Report back once you have the new system going. If there is a NOTICEABLE improvement, not just different, I may go for a separate optic line into the house. I am curious how a second ISP fiber line would enter your house. Do they dig another line into your house?

5 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

Have you ever compared the SQ of a stored music vs streamed in your system? This may indicate whether it is worth the cost/trouble of upgrading to the fiber/LPS for modem or router.

8 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

I suppose both has a monthly cost. If you don’t know, you can just use a good DHCP server / firewall and from one ISP split the traffic into two subnets. It’s exactly same effect. 

Depending how you use your WiFi or communicate with your music, you will now need two Wi-Fi systems or hardwired network in your house, while with other solutions you can control access by setting up rules.

You may not even need two subnets, and maybe only a managed switch will do the job and isolating traffic properly. 

ETHERREGENs and ENTREQ grounding boxes

two possibilities are offered:

- on A side, plugging an entreq eartha grounding cable on an unused RJ45 port connected to an Entreq ground box

- on B side, plugging an entreq eartha grounding cable connecting an Entreq grounding box

Any experience there to share?

Wondered if I could get a few comments about a possible quick and painless upgrade.

currently run Ethernet from a Xfinity Cable modem to EtherRegen>SoTm> Cary DMS 600 Streamer/dac.  Easy and clean as it gets. I built a room so dedicated power etc. Room is double drywall w/ green glue etc. dead quiet. 27x16x10 angled front walls , soffits, coffered ceilings.  Great sounding room  swarm sub system. Any little change can be appreciated 

Maybe thinking of adding a LPS to the EtherRegan or maybe adding some fiber in the chain. Or what a bout a LPS  for the Modem/router?
The system is really humming and everything works the way it should but I just can’t leave well enough alone
Thanks for any input. 

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

4 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

- on A side, plugging an entreq eartha grounding cable on an unused RJ45 port connected to an Entreq ground box

- on B side, plugging an entreq eartha grounding cable connecting an Entreq grounding box

IIRC, John Swenson and many others say grounding boxes don’t/can’t work, so perhaps no side and save your money is best. But up to you, of course.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

Why not connect it to the ground terminal, as I have with my Black Ravioli Eflos grounding box?

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

5 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The Entreq type boxes are band-aids for leakage problems, properly setting up an ER and power supplies is a real solution. You definitely do NOT want to use both together.

They are in fact antennas, most of the signal is actually picking up line frequency (50/60Hz) which if winds up being out of phase with your leakage will tend to cancel out some of the leakage. Most of the complexities in the boxes wind up filtering out the RF stuff. This type of canceling is not guaranteed, it is very system specific. If you have a system using these and you have wound up tuning so you DO get this cancellation (remember this is done by deliberately injecting line frequency noise into the system!), adding an ER will just make things worse because now the injected noise has nothing to cancel out with.

There are other types of boxes which actually feed the safety ground around in a very effective way, these are perfectly fine to use with an ER.

John S.

Very interesting John 

can you give an example for those“other types of boxes”

11 hours ago, GMG said:

Very interesting John 

can you give an example for those“other types of boxes”

I don't remember any of the names, I don't have them myself but have seen people here using them. They are NOT necessary for proper operation of an ER, but they don't hurt it either.

John S.

Hi, 

Sorry if this has already been addressed earlier, I don't have time to read 14 pages and 1400 posts of this thread.  So feel free to redirect me to where it has been addressed.

I have been experimenting with EtherRegen as an isolator only (not using the switch to connect a number of devices) and other similar isolators.  Like some have experienced daisy chaining ERs and other switches, I have experienced considerable sound quality when daisy chaining ER and these other isolators. 

My query is, why is this the case?  Is it reducing phase noise, jitter?

Would an external clock give an equivalent result?

Thanks

6 hours ago, dbastin said:

Hi, 

Sorry if this has already been addressed earlier, I don't have time to read 14 pages and 1400 posts of this thread.  So feel free to redirect me to where it has been addressed.

I have been experimenting with EtherRegen as an isolator only (not using the switch to connect a number of devices) and other similar isolators.  Like some have experienced daisy chaining ERs and other switches, I have experienced considerable sound quality when daisy chaining ER and these other isolators. 

My query is, why is this the case?  Is it reducing phase noise, jitter?

Would an external clock give an equivalent result?

Thanks

start here:  https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/uptone-audio-etherregen-review-and-comparison-r887/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-1036787

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

3 minutes ago, chungjh said:

When you say daisy chaining improved SQ substantially, how are you connecting the ERs?

I'm not sure if you are addressing me.  I provided the link but didn't write the review.   The charts show the various connections between devices.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

14 minutes ago, PYP said:

I'm not sure if you are addressing me.  I provided the link but didn't write the review.   The charts show the various connections between devices.  

PYP, I read that link and it seems to say that the second ER has only a marginal effect. Have you tried it yourself or are you infering?

1 hour ago, chungjh said:

PYP, I read that link and it seems to say that the second ER has only a marginal effect. Have you tried it yourself or are you infering?

The comments I've read from folks who use a second eR range from "it's nice" to "bigger improvement than adding the first."  Of course, the setups are very different and most probably cannot be generalized.    I haven't added a second eR myself (yet).  

Hi again,

Firstly, let's remember the system context is quite important.  I note @PYPuses Mola Mola, and I know of another Mola Mola owner whose experience is that changes to ethernet makes little difference.  He has ER > Antipodes CX > ethernet > Makua (endpoint).  This is probably rare.

In my case, it has evolved to become elaborate (unfortunately also untidy and costly) as follows:

ISP (fibre) connection box > Cat 5e > Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X > Afterdark LAN > Antipodes EX > Wireworld Platinum > ER > Wireworld Platinum > Gigafoilv4 > JCAT Signature Gold > Gigafoilv4 > Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ref > Devialet Pro 220 (endpoint).

All high quality LPSs, AC power cords.  There's more to it, but that is the backbone.

I has discarded a few ethernet cables too. Needless to say the SR Atmos X Ref and JCAT provide a considerable improvement on their own.  I was very impressed with them even before ER was installed.  Little did I know ... what I thought was impressive them was the tip of the iceberg, and in hindsight is a fraction of the SQ I now have gained just from ethernet improvements.

I got Gigafoilv4 at used cost simply to compare it to ER as isolators only.  They're both excellent, and I presently prefer Gigafoil by a small margin, but an external clock, better LPS and grounding may give ER an edge if/when implemented.

As the Antipodes EX has an inbuilt switch with very low noise, I effectively have 4 devices isolating/reclocking daisy chained between the server and renderer.  Once inside the Devialet, timing is governed by a single reference clock and Roon RAAT 'pull' protocol.

I added each ER/Gigafoil upstream of EX and router, which provided improvements, but greatest improvement is the current arrangement.  From memory, each addition was incrementally less improvement.

The cost of cables and LPSs is racking up!

Hence I was hoping the Uptone guys might be able to explain why.

I had read the review mentioned above some time ago, and noted the use of external clock.  At the time I felt that expense was extreme ... but now with all my incremental expense I am having 2nd thoughts.

Its multiple isolators (incl cables, LPSs etc)  -v- external clock

Cheers