IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Sandervdp, with the 9+ setup - I assume your tv input is from the netgear via apple & oppo, not from the ER?

mb pro>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen B-side(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu A-side(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>uspbc>iso regen(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2xnaq12” passive subs.

9 minutes ago, simon_pepper said:

Ok, so try a derivation of this one, with the Farad Super3 on the dedicated Power Circuit powering the EtherREGEN.

The JS-2 is still on the MacMini, and maybe the now spare 12v that was on the EtherREGEN on the ISP Modem/Router, thar just so it doesn’t go to waste!

Hi Simon, thanks for this suggestion,  but not sure how to pull that off. There's only 1 outlet on the dedicated power circuit, which is roughly 10m away from the mac mini/oppo/atv. And the router is another 25m away from that location

11 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Sandervdp, with the 9+ setup - I assume your tv input is from the netgear via apple & oppo, not from the ER?

hi james, correct, the apple tv is connected to the netgear, then from there the apple tv's HDMI goes into the back of the oppo, which goes via HDMI into a projector and S/PDIF into the dac

/& of course you can the use the oppo to synch audio & vision!

Might be better sq & vq atv direct into projector ...?

mb pro>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen B-side(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu A-side(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>uspbc>iso regen(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2xnaq12” passive subs.

the oppo has s/pdif out to the dac, much better than optical out from the mac mini

so that's why the apple tv goes into the oppo 

the 9+ is only referencing the sound from the MacMini source (mainly local FLACs) to Ambre btw.

The sound from Apple TV (e.g. when watching netflix) seems to be significantly less

Not sure if that is due to compression or leakage/noise/cheap clocks

BluRay is much, much better than netflix via ATV and a lot closer to MacMini/Ambre

Still have to try Netflix on Oppo (a bit clumsy to control, but if SQ is much better could be worth it)

1 hour ago, sandervdp said:

Hi Simon, thanks for this suggestion,  but not sure how to pull that off. There's only 1 outlet on the dedicated power circuit, which is roughly 10m away from the mac mini/oppo/atv. And the router is another 25m away from that location

Ok, then try just the Farad Super3 into the same circuit as the JS-1, but powering the EtherREGEN, with no Netgear used, and all A ports used, and the B using the 10M cable to the DAC frontend.

I want to mate a better power supply with my EtherRegen. It looks like the sweet spot for pricing / performance might be a Farad Super 3. Farad recommends the 7v 3A PS. This is rated higher on the amperage then recommended by Uptone Audio:

7V/1.4A, 9V/1.0A, 12V/0.8A. 
Is this extra 1 1/2 amp an issue at all?

Does higher voltage sound better or is the 7v just fine? 

Transparent Audio ethernet cable>TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>EtherRegen>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Zenith MKII SE> AudioQuest Diamond USB>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon 2020 USB cable> Mojo Audio Mystique Evo DAC> Wireworld platinum 8 balanced interconnect>Headamp GS-X  Mini>HIFi Man HE-1000se or Aesthetic Mimas> Audience SX speaker cables>Magnapan 1.7i. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords and Farad Super 3 PS for the EtherRegen.

26 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

You could mate it with a PSU that could deliver much more amps. The amps stated by Uptone is what it draws at different voltages but you always want some headroom. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
43 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And 24V will blow up your EtherREGEN.  Just sayin'... :P

Ahh.... I was wondering why my audio room was 20 degrees warmer than the rest of the house and smelled like something was burning.  

Home: Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator Plus | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12

Desktop: Denafrips Iris | Chord Qutest | Blue Circle Audio SBT preamp|  Eddie Current Zana Deux Super | Hifiman 1000SE/Meze Empyrean/Sennheiser HD800S

2 hours ago, FrankMA said:

7v will blow your mind as well 🤣

RE proper wiring:  Does the DC cable go in the right or left ear?  And which sounds better?

Mola Mola Tambaqui / Kubala-Sosna XLR / Mola Mola Kaluga / KS biwire / B&W 803 D3

Ethernet:  iMac/Roon > ... in-wall 5e ... > Sonore opticalModule [Sonore 5V LPS] > UpTone EtherREGEN + Cybershaft OP13 [UpTone JS-2 LPS] > Tambaqui ( = DAC/Roon Endpoint/preamp)

Not sure - I use a Y adapter so I get both ears 😂

SYSTEM: Ghent JSSG360 Cat6a > EtherRegen/Farad Super 3 > Ghent JSSG360 Cat6a > Zenith MKII SE > Phasure Lush 2 > Innuos Phoenix > Phasure Lush 2 > PS Audio Directstream Sr DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Conrad Johnson MF-2500a > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ (Niagara 5000/Tornado/Hurricane)/Audience AU24 SE LP/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata (Python/Venom 3)/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver DC 

CABLING: AQ (Earth/Go-4 Dbl Bi-Wire)

ISOLATION: IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/BDR/PS Audio Powerbase

On 6/17/2020 at 4:11 PM, sahmen said:

BTW : I got this to dock both the ER and an LPS 1.2 sideways, and it seems to have the temperature of both units down some... It is actually a little surprising... so what gives?

spacer.png 

spacer.png

I actually didn't believe this cooling hole gimmick could actually do any cooling.  However, since the temperatures of both units have become less hot, for some reason, I'm wondering whether the magic comes from the sideways positioning of the ER and LPS 1.2, or whether the "cooling hole" indeed has something to do with it. 

Sahmen, where did you find this?  I come up short at the US Amazon site when I search for this pic using Google Images.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7> Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7>Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch >TrendNet FMC>Sonore OpticalModule> UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

And 24V will blow up your EtherREGEN.  Just sayin'... :P

Sorry for replying to frivolity with a serious question..... but.......

Voltage range is pretty important but amperage represents available power and it depends on what the device tries to pull. Therefore amps isn't a concern but too many volts is. That's my understanding anyway.

Anyway, my question. I moved my ER & LPS-1.2 onto nice Ikea bamboo the other day. But both were really hot! Like need to be very quick moving them or grab oven gloves as painful to touch hot. So (and no disrespect intended @kennyb123) but is 12V the problem here?? Would 7V involve less fingertip burning?

Or does 12V mean better SQ and we need Ikea to make the bamboo boards more heat resistant??

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos Zenith SE server > (Sablon 2020 USB) Innuos Phoenix > (Sablon 2020 USB) PS Audio Directstream DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

2 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Anyway, my question. I moved my ER & LPS-1.2 onto nice Ikea bamboo the other day. But both were really hot! Like need to be very quick moving them or grab oven gloves as painful to touch hot. So (and no disrespect intended @kennyb123) but is 12V the problem here?? Would 7V involve less fingertip burning?

Or does 12V mean better SQ and we need Ikea to make the bamboo boards more heat resistant??

I think @Superdad will need to comment on which voltage would generate the least amount of heat.  My ER is sitting on its side. I was able to just wrap my hand around it.  No way would I say this was "fingertip burning" hot.  I'd call it warm but knocking on the door of hot.

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Mk3 > Shunyata Sigma USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

The oM thread says it runs hot at 9v but less so at 7v. Ergo the ER is the same, Joke*

Just wondering if pushing the LPS-1.2 and ER to 12V raises the heat profile.

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos Zenith SE server > (Sablon 2020 USB) Innuos Phoenix > (Sablon 2020 USB) PS Audio Directstream DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

5 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Sahmen, where did you find this?  I come up short at the US Amazon site when I search for this pic using Google Images.

I finally found it on Amazon. It wasn’t showing up in searches because it appears to be discontinued.

Here’s a similar, albeit somewhat uglier, product:

https://www.amazon.com/Vertical-Space-Saving-Aluminum-Adjustable-Compatible/dp/B07PRRQQYH?pf_rd_r=ST2V5DC2FJT773ZM7JCR&pf_rd_p=be25f964-4afb-442f-819e-9e628b270a7c&pd_rd_r=1f861a76-4a3a-4af1-971f-281c14fdd2eb&pd_rd_w=MuDlw&pd_rd_wg=HDf09&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7> Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7>Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch >TrendNet FMC>Sonore OpticalModule> UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

On 7/7/2020 at 11:59 AM, Vangelis said:

I want to mate a better power supply with my EtherRegen. It looks like the sweet spot for pricing / performance might be a Farad Super 3. Farad recommends the 7v 3A PS. This is rated higher on the amperage then recommended by Uptone Audio:

7V/1.4A, 9V/1.0A, 12V/0.8A. 

Does higher voltage sound better or is the 7v just fine? 

OK, this was great, I think I got my question answered. 

Transparent Audio ethernet cable>TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>EtherRegen>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Zenith MKII SE> AudioQuest Diamond USB>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon 2020 USB cable> Mojo Audio Mystique Evo DAC> Wireworld platinum 8 balanced interconnect>Headamp GS-X  Mini>HIFi Man HE-1000se or Aesthetic Mimas> Audience SX speaker cables>Magnapan 1.7i. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords and Farad Super 3 PS for the EtherRegen.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:00 PM, HumanMedia said:

Remember to get them to also quote on the separate deluxe version with the JSSG360 shielding. 😁

Superdad,

I think you can count on many People interested in thèse DC cables JSSG360 made with Chris bulk wire!!!

Richard