IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

3 minutes ago, matthias said:

OK, this is his comment;

"I discarded it as a contender until a few days later while cleaning up my desk stumbled upon these OEM SFP module samples a supplier send me to try, these are 1310nm 20km range modules designed for usage in sensitive equipment, they draw lower then usual power and are designed for reduced EMI."

Matt

Yup and I should have typed 1310 instead of 1350, as 1350 doesn’t exist.  I was just browsing 1310nm SFPs on Amazon.  I’m tempted to purchase a couple to hear if they sound any better.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 minute ago, kennyb123 said:

Yup and I should have typed 1310 instead of 1350, as 1350 doesn’t exist.  I was just browsing 1310nm SFPs on Amazon.  I’m tempted to purchase a couple to hear if they sound any better.

All clear now but please be aware that Emile did not cross the ER as nearly all folks here do. 

He stayed with his connections on the A-side only as this was superior sounding with the Extreme.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

8 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb-tlx-mini-gbic-lx-module-20km/

Later Emile posted that he thought this might be the same OEM module he has (unconfirmed).  Interestingly, a wide temperature part.

I'm not (yet) setup for fiber ethernet, but looking forward to joining the party soon...

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

24 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

I'm not (yet) setup for fiber ethernet, but looking forward to joining the party soon...

Likewise.  Should receive a Sonore opticalModule later this month.  The oM's optical out will feed the eR's optical A side. My setup is simple so nothing else connected to the eR.  Currently using the eR with copper ethernet A > B with excellent results.

Just received an SFP and 1 meter fiber cable (via Amazon).  I've seen fiber before, but looking at it now vs. all the huge and inflexible cables in my audio system, it just seems so cool.  Like the first time you try keyless entry to your car and wonder why your front door, computer login and everything else doesn't work that way.  

Just received a JS-2 and letting it settle in with the eR.  The second rail of the JS-2 will feed the oM.  Down the rabbit hole!  😎

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

35 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb-tlx-mini-gbic-lx-module-20km/

Later Emile posted that he thought this might be the same OEM module he has (unconfirmed).  Interestingly, a wide temperature part.

Taking a shot in the dark, but my curiosity got the best of me.  I ordered a pair of the following SFPs and will have them tomorrow.  I picked a model from Amazon vs the above as return will be easier and free.  I will try these without attenuators initially and compare to the Startech with attenuators.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713ZTQB8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ahhqEbE7SR679

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

6 hours ago, Jud said:

By the way, I wanted to mention: I think the sound with the inexpensive Monoprice Cat 8 cable I am using is great, but I want to see if the Ghent will improve my impression of the sound at all. (I have Monoprice Cat 8 with shields tied between cable modem and router, and between ER and microRendu. Between router and ER I have Monoprice Slimrun Cat 6a with plastic connectors.)

How does the Monoprice CAT8 compare to the Cable Matters CAT8 in terms of flexibility?  I moved my CM to use between my wall jack and the upstream FMC.  It would be helpful to have a more flexible cable there.

4 hours ago, lmitche said:

Eventually I'll jssg360 the cat 8 as well.

Yes, with cables as inexpensive as that, if you can roll your own it's a nice experiment to do.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 2/9/2020 at 1:02 PM, kennyb123 said:

Taking a shot in the dark, but my curiosity got the best of me.  I ordered a pair of the following SFPs and will have them tomorrow.  I picked a model from Amazon vs the above as return will be easier and free.  I will try these without attenuators initially and compare to the Startech with attenuators.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713ZTQB8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ahhqEbE7SR679

These 1310nm SFPs arrived today.  I swapped them in for the Startech 1550nm SFPs but left the attenuators.  Unlike with the 1550nm SFPs, these didn't run me out of the room with a too-hot treble.  I thought the treble overall sounded a bit drier though.  I will let them settle in a bit though before doing any serious listening.

It still amazes me that there are some who prefer the Startech 1550nm SFPs without attenuators.  I'm not sure if any of those cases they were using an ER.    I could be wrong but I don't believe Emile used attenuators when he tried this Startech SPF in the ER and found it to "perform very poorly".  Could it be that the ER is more sensitive to the ill effects of over saturation than his typical FMCs?  

2 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

It still amazes me that there are some who prefer the Startech 1550nm SFPs without attenuators.  I'm not sure if any of those cases they were using an ER.    I could be wrong but I don't believe Emile used attenuators when he tried this Startech SPF in the ER and found it to "perform very poorly".  Could it be that the ER is more sensitive to the ill effects of over saturation than his typical FMCs?  

IIRC, Emile was looking for a lower power SFP for the ER, which is why he tried the OEM 1310nm/20km units that he had on hand (no attenuators for either SFP, IIRC).  Alas, difficult to find power consumption specs for these SFPs (unless someone has access to OEM spec sheets?)

If Emile's hypothesis about power consumption bears out, that would imply more sensitivity related to the power network in the ER than sensitivity to over saturation.  Alas, difficult to confirm without have a bunch of SFPs that draw different amounts of power (and decoupling wavelength, laser power, etc)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

6 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

If Emile's hypothesis about power consumption bears out, that would imply more sensitivity related to the power network in the ER than sensitivity to over saturation.  Alas, difficult to confirm without have a bunch of SFPs that draw different amounts of power (and decoupling wavelength, laser power, etc)

Great observation, thanks.  And yeah, really difficult to find power consumption specs for SFPs.

18 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

It could all be related: overstaturation on receiver draws max power, different wavelength SFPs having different power load, etc.  Emile's hint is the only hypothesis I've seen for the root cause of the differences people are hearing with SFPs, but it was guess work.

I just ran across the page that follows when reading up on the above.  First time I've seen attenuator values specified - interesting that the recommendation aligns with what my ears told me.

1000BASE-ZX is the standard that applies to the Startech 1550nm SFPs.  The new SFPs that I just received are 1000BASE-LX.  

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/datasheet-c78-366584.html

4 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I do hear a difference between the TRENDnet 1000BASE-LX SFP (no attenuators) and the Startech 1000BASE-ZX SFP (with a 10 dB attenuator on each receiver). It’s not a difference that leaves one thinking one performs poorly relative to the other though.  Most apparent to me was a difference in the upper frequencies.  Highs are a bit more prominent with the TRENDnet.  This brings out a bit more detail.  I’m tempted to say that it slightly shifted the balance on guitar strings and voices where there was a bit less midrange presence with the TRENDnet.  These are very subtle differences and I haven’t done enough listening yet to be able to say which is more correct.

The attenuators tended to reveal a bit more to me after swapping one in for another that had been in place for a few days at least.  While I have had the Startech SFPs for a while, my system got quite a better over the weekend after shifting a few things around.  i’ll have to spend more time with each of these to be able to reach any conclusions.  I guess I’m actually somewhat relieved that’s the differences were pretty subtle.  

Thanks for your experiments! Extremely valuable data.

11 hours ago, ray-dude said:

That being said, even with plain old cat 8, my ER scaled very nicely from the stock SMPS to LPS 1.2 to PHL SR4.  That seems to hint that more/better power available, the happier the ER.  A SFP that is drawing a significant amount of power from the board (1W seems to be the spec limit) on top of the background power consumption could be tipping the SQ.

Hi Ray,

Is that improvement using ER with streaming/NAS or playing "local" files?

Did you find ER better with PHL SR4 than LPS 1.2?

Do you think it's due to higher current capacity of SR4?

G

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

4 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi Ray,

Is that improvement using ER with streaming/NAS or playing "local" files?

Did you find ER better with PHL SR4 than LPS 1.2?

Do you think it's due to higher current capacity of SR4?

G

Hi Geoff

My power/cable tests with ER where with Tidal and content from my Mac mini file server.  I have an end point NUC on the B side, and a Roon server NUC on the A side.  All my ER tests were with content going over the moat. 

I did find the ER improved as I went from SMPS to LPS1.2 to PHL SR4.  Very easy to hear in my system.   I have found that the SR4 has bigger impact on my tX-ultra SE, so that is where I usually run it. 

I have a pretty limited stable of power supplies to test, so I can’t be definitive on what factor may be driving things.  I’m looking forward to Rajiv’s findings once he finishes his eval and reports his findings. 

15 minutes ago, Nenon said:

My experience on cables / power supplies.

I have a first batch etherREGEN, which has been running non-stop ever since I received it. 

The power supply definitely makes a difference. LPS-1.2 is an improvement over the stock SMPS here. Charging the LPS-1.2 with another good LPS (JS-2 for example) is even better. I am using a different LPS, which I find to be even better in my system. The point is - the ehterREGEN scales with better power supplies, and that is easy to hear. 

DC cables also make a difference here. Not as much as power supplies, but they do. I've tried a bunch of different wires / cables. The one that sounds best in my system is this one: 

It's actually quite shocking how much of a difference power supplies and DC cables make on network equipment. I made two identical cables - one with JSSG360 shielding and one without. And I did A/B comparison with them connected to my cable modem. I could clearly hear the differences when streaming Qobuz (no difference for local files). Let me repeat that - my cable modem! Two identical cables with different shielding! You don't have to believe me on that one. I would not believe you if you told me that. But for some reason it is easy to hear in my system. 

I have over 20 different transceivers, including the Startech and PlanetTech ones Emile recommended. Most of them are left overs I did not buy. But I haven't had the chance to compare any of them yet. And I have a JCAT Signature LAN cable coming my way to test. 

Great to read that you share the same crazy SQ observations from JSSG360 shielding on DC cable. It is indeed hard to believe.

My Planetech SFPs arrive on Friday. I am very curious to hear the SQ impact, if any.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio