IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 1/14/2020 at 1:53 PM, esmit said:

Can you test without the isoregen? I have a similar setup, and although the ir improves my microrendu I find that my ultraRendu sounds better than mR+iR, and the ultrarendu on its own sounds better  than uR+iR. All powered by Lps1.2s. I am curious about your findings. I tested for instance with Sinner Man, from Four woman: the Nina Simone Philips Recordings. 

This came especially apparent after adding the etherRegen: before adding that I did not really notice this clearly. 

Sorry for being this late... While it is quite obvious the difference in sound, I think I still prefer with the iR, just for the timbre. Without it, the music might seem more real, with a better impact on your face, but the timbre is not so perfect. In any case this has lead to some new configurations in my system regarding cables and LPS. So far I haven’t reach to a conclusion. I nevertheless wanted to thank you for sharing your views. Kind regards. Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Yes, not easy to find a suitable LPS that significantly increases the  eR already very SQ. Good work Alex & John!!! 😀

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

1 hour ago, soares said:

Yes, not easy to find a suitable LPS that significantly increases the  eR already very SQ. Good work Alex & John!!! 😀

Wishfull thinking.. 😂

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

11 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Wishfull thinking.. 😂

I don't think there is a right or wrong in this..it depends on where all your audio components are connected amongst everything else plugged in home.

I am quite fortunate to have my DAC and amp connected to its own mains (a HUGE upgrade in itself), so as long as ER is powered on the household/'dirty' mains, it can be fed with any SMPS/LPS as long as the ER's B side is doing what its supposed to be doing.

Without this, I would also agree with you to look for an upgraded LPS. 

1 minute ago, k-man said:

I don't think there is a right or wrong in this..it depends on where all your audio components are connected amongst everything else plugged in home.

I am quite fortunate to have my DAC and amp connected to its own mains (a HUGE upgrade in itself), so as long as ER is powered on the household/'dirty' mains, it can be fed with any SMPS/LPS as long as the ER's B side is doing what its supposed to be doing.

Without this, I would also agree with you to look for an upgraded LPS. 

Still wishful thinking. My streamer, DAC and amp are also on dedicated power. Nonetheless...

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

15 minutes ago, k-man said:

Your rig and your experience with the PS upgrade will be a useful data point for me. Thanks.

I posted about it in the listening impressions thread a few weeks ago. The JS-2 really excelled vs. stock SMPS after the ER ground screw was connected to a common ground (with the JS-2).

On 2/3/2020 at 6:11 AM, Thmoas said:

I’m sticking with the stock power supply and reselling my sotm sps500. The sotm gives me more clarity but less life and sense of rythm. 

Did anyone try to replace the power cable on the uptone Power brick? Does a good cable makes a difference there?

thomas 

I’ve currently got my Netgear GS105 switch - note no ER yet - powered by the Uptone brick using an ‘audiophile’ power cable ... but that’s because I’ve got a bunch of spares cos I haven’t set up my vinyl gear since we moved house 18 months back! No idea about specific sonic improvement - I just use them where possible, on the theory that minor incrementals burgeon into larger sonic upticks.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 2/2/2020 at 4:12 PM, skatbelt said:

Wishfull thinking.. 😂

Funny! 
Any suggestions around 500$?

Already tried LPS-1.2 and Sbooster.

I thought the extra LT3045s helped me on the Ldovr but i have the UT LPS1. Not the 1.2 Not for the ER but my Qutest. Remember if you do you need a higher input voltage for the Vdrop. A fixed LPS for the target range wont work.

My spending is limited, in my case i tried  my UT LPS1.0,  7v into a NEW IFI DC purifier into Ldovr for 5v out.

More people here must have experimented with various power options. A well made design seem less affected by poor power so you may be chasing diminishing returns if any...

Johns a good power engineer already...

I was making a poor man's 1.2... the extras may help? 

Good luck and hi  @k-man 😀

Dave 

10 hours ago, soares said:

Funny! 
Any suggestions around 500$?

Already tried LPS-1.2 and Sbooster.

I don't know about the Sbooster but various people did report improvements with the LPS-1.2 vs stock SMPS. Because it is floating, you have to make sure the ER is grounded via its ground screw. My own experience is with the Uptone JS-2. Not in the 500$ range but I am using only one rail for the ER and the other one for my Roon server. So 500$ per rail... 🙃

Thanks. Should probably consider the JS-2. 
Best Jorge

4 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

I don't know if I can handle this pressure. Fortunately Uptone has a 30-day no-satisfaction money-back guarantee... 😅

Please hang in there for another two weeks.  😏  We will know the results soon.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, PYP said:

Please hang in there for another two weeks.  😏  We will know the results soon.  

I hope you won’t regret it! 😀

As I had the opportunity to tell you guys, it’s not often that I listen to such a good SQ. 

Cheers Jorge

1 hour ago, soares said:

I hope you won’t regret it! 😀

As I had the opportunity to tell you guys, it’s not often that I listen to such a good SQ. 

Cheers Jorge

In your ears, we trust, Jorge. 🙂  Of course, in addition to the subjectivity, there is also the variables that cannot be calculated.  That said, anything that cleans up the power or the signal has to be helpful.  To what degree?  Let's see.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Hello Guys,
I'm new here, but have been posting in another forums.

I've bougth the ER on december and it will be shipped at the end of this month to my home in Argentina.

As I live in a country where sending items is expensive for shipping and custom taxes, I'm thinking about using the same package of the ER to send one or two "audiophiles" Ethernet cables.

Today my bridge/streamer SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo is connected with a cheap CAT8 Ethernet cable to the WiFi Router and the future ER will go in between (I hope considerably improving the Ethernet signal) with another cheap CAT8 cable.

My questions are:

1- Under your direct experience, do Ethernet cables make a difference?

2- If so, wich one do you recommend below 200 dollars for 1.5/2.0 meters (about 5 to 7 feet)?

3- On the other hand, do you recommend changing both cables form "Router to ER" and from "ER to SMS" or just one of them?

The Supra CAT8 and the Wireworld Chroma are some options, but may be is a better to buy one more expensive, like the Wireworld Starlight, instead of two cheaper like the mentioned. If the ER is an Ethernet conditioner, how important is the cable that feeds it? Shouldnt be more important the cable after it?

"Please I would appreciate only answer from people who actually have done test with different cables". I dont want to open a technical debate whether Ethernet cables make or not a difference with people with no direct experience. For me, cables matter, all of them (digital, interconnects, power cords, etc).

1. Yes, from direct experience, ethernet cables do make a difference.

3. (That's the first question there is to answer) Change both cables. From router to ER has less effect, than from ER to Streamer/dac.

2. From router to ER you should stay away from metal connectors connected to the shield. Bluejeans is good. I find it better than Supra cat 7+ (in my system). Bluejeans cat 6a has plastic connectors. You could look at Ghent as well.

From ER to streamer/dac: consider a good cable. Invest the money you saved by using the cheap Bluejeans in the last cable in the stream. Audioquest Vodka is very good. Audioquest, Chord, and Shunyata make cables which are reviewed very well.

Hi all,

I've read the last month of postings here and can't seem to find a consensus on SFPs and Fiber combinations. Between tplink startech, cisco, 850nm 1350nm, 1550nm with attentuators or not, om4 or om5 fiber, I am lost.

Am I missing something, or is there no best practice yet? How should one proceed?

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio