IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 2/3/2020 at 6:11 AM, Thmoas said:

I’m sticking with the stock power supply and reselling my sotm sps500. The sotm gives me more clarity but less life and sense of rythm. 

Did anyone try to replace the power cable on the uptone Power brick? Does a good cable makes a difference there?

thomas 

I’ve currently got my Netgear GS105 switch - note no ER yet - powered by the Uptone brick using an ‘audiophile’ power cable ... but that’s because I’ve got a bunch of spares cos I haven’t set up my vinyl gear since we moved house 18 months back! No idea about specific sonic improvement - I just use them where possible, on the theory that minor incrementals burgeon into larger sonic upticks.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2020 at 2:08 PM, stevebythebay said:

Just like to chime in on the JS-2 experiences.  The JS-2 is powering both my EtherREGEN as well as a Nucleus Roon server.  Both have benefited from this LPS.  System has settled in with it's presence and is oh so sweet!

Anyone with thoughts / theories why the js-2 has superior sq to the lps1.2?

I’m assuming you shouldn’t use a js-2 to power to both the ER & then anything on the downstream side? ie I can’t power both my dac & ER with it.

What about if I use the js-2 to power a lps1.2 which then powers the ER, as well as my dac?

Leakage issues or ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

6 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Anyone with thoughts / theories why the js-2 has superior sq to the lps1.2?

I’m assuming you shouldn’t use a js-2 to power to both the ER & then anything on the downstream side? ie I can’t power both my dac & ER with it.

What about if I use the js-2 to power a lps1.2 which then powers the ER, as well as my dac?

Leakage issues or ...?

Penultimate sentence should read -

What about if I use the js-2 to power a lps1.2 which then powers the ER, as well as the js-2 powering my dac with the other output?

Thanks Alex, what I wanted to hear ... /& extending these possible options - what about split power to 2x lps-1s powering ER & uRendu from the one js-2 output?

12 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Thanks Alex, what I wanted to hear ... /& extending these possible options - what about split power to 2x lps-1s powering ER & uRendu from the one js-2 output?

To clarify above - 2x lps1.2s ... powered from single js-2 output?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, octaviars said:

If you where to power the etherREGEN and a component on the B-side then you would defeat the purpose of the isolation as JS-2 have a shared -0V for the two outputs.

Unless your js-2 powers lps1.2s that then power said ER + B-side item.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

A square cork pad underneath (my EtherREGEN is behind my Audio racks, on the floor, so the cork pad provides some insulation and isolation) and a Herbie Audio SuperSonic Stabilizer on top.

Have a SuperSonic Stabilizer on top of the UltraRendu as well.
Also the same type of square cork pad is underneath the NUC running ROCK, as well.

SS Stabilizers here too, on all these low mass items prone to movement thru chunky cables etc - ER, uRendu, lps1s, even isoRegen.

8 hours ago, MartinT said:

My master clock is feeding both the ER and Mutec MC-3+ USB, too.  The benefits are additive so in this case, it's well worth it.  It also cost a lot less than a Ref 10.

What are the sonic implications of this clock being 50ohm?

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I had read once or twice that powering the LPS1.2 with another linear power supply will improve the LPS1.2's performance.”

Now for another lps1.2, powered by the SR4, into the ER!

I went with the Ghent Linkway Cat8 jssg360 pair into the ER & moved my original Ghent Cat6 jssg pair out of macmini into Netgear gs105 switch (in other room).

Another incremental uptick!

Just now, Pokey77 said:

@sandervdp

Can you buy the Ghent jssg360 cables assembled or is this DIY only?

http://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/et12.html

They are a Ghent off-the-shelf. I don’t do diy!

5 hours ago, Jud said:

The Ghent Cat8 JSSG360 are the ones I'm using, and I really like them. No desire at all to try anything else.

There are also excellent inexpensive cables from Monoprice and Cable Matters if you want to spend less.

Where my original motivation to try them came from - Jud’s report, now quite some time back!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sandervdp, with the 9+ setup - I assume your tv input is from the netgear via apple & oppo, not from the ER?

/& of course you can the use the oppo to synch audio & vision!

Might be better sq & vq atv direct into projector ...?

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Thanks for sharing Soares!
What is RUR? And I dont see OpticalRendu (oR) in your setup layout.

What convinced me to stay with my current setup is by playing the "Nama" album (24/176.4) with the Puente Celeste ensemble (2010). Its an Argentina-based recording with absolute minimal use of mixing and mastering tweaks and compression - only microphones and artists and recorded at MA-studios with original 5.6 MHz (DSD) pure sterophonic, one bit recording.

EtherREGEN powered by JS-2, Cisco 2960 SFP (optical) transporting the signals and IsoREGEN in front of the Denafrips DAC has completely transformed the magic in my listening room. And of course also use of Sablon USB & URL cables, Ghent JSSG360 DC cables + my 25-35 years old analog components...

Greetings and wishes of a merry Christmas 😇

Yes, I’m an isoRegen stayer!

Re the use of the js-2 on both macmini & etherRegen - back somewhere is advice from Superdad that isolation is maintained in my case by flipping the etherRegen around, ie modem ethernet into B-side & then A-side thru to dac etc.

I powered both the ER & dac with the 2 js-2 dc outputs (& I used 2x lps1.2s to power uRendu & isoRegen) - I assume this logic applies to your situation ...

19 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The JS-2 is isolated from the safety ground BUT the two outputs share their negative rails. The power to the ER goes into the A side. Thus powering the ER and the DAC from the same JS-2 is defeating the moat of the ER but also the moat of the IsoRegen.

John S.

Hi John,

Alex’s comment referred to above was Aug 31 - this is what I then implemented.

If your usage of the EtherREGEN has only one (network feed) connection on the 'A' side, then there is a trick you can use which will allow use of the JS-2 for both the EtherREGEN and endpoint while preserving the full isolation.  "Turn around" the EtherREGEN, running your network feed into the 'B' port, and your endpoint from one of the 'A' ports.  This works great for two reasons:

1) We went to extra trouble and expense to make the EtherREGEN symmetrical about its moat (i.e. differential clocking and reclocking and all super voltage regulation is the same both sides) just so that B>A performance would be equal to A>B. Main reason we did it was for optical endpoint users (opticalRendu), but there are other uses for B>A connection, such as multiple endpoints or issues of power supply.

2) DC power to the EtherREGEN is to its 'A' side (yes, power makes its way to the 'B' side, but via expensive isolating converters across the moat), so having the endpoint attached to an 'A' port makes it not matter that both the EtherREGEN and the endpoint are sharing a power supply (JS-2) whose two DC outputs share a common -VE/zero-volt "ground."

• 2 months later...

I went from this above Ghent (now on mac mini m1 server in adjoining room) to this Ghent (& have thought it an improvement) -

ET12 Linkway CAT8 40Gbps/2000MHz Ethernet(JSSG360) Cable.

• 1 month later...

/& then on to the rest of the dc powered items ...?

I’ve got a large handful, dac etc, if this is definitely the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, One and a half said:

Yes install DX filter :

Router to mac mini

Mac mini to ER 

The Bridge connection is agnostic to the DX filter. Mac mini IMHO is on par with a router as far as noise produced is concerned. 

Even with the fully Uptoned-mods of fore?

BTW, which of the above links is the DX to go with? The PLUS-2 or PLUS10?

Hmm, just noted that shipping to Oz is equal to the DX purchase price ...

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

It isn't that - I checked carefully by playing some very low level detail songs, for instance the opening to Ry Cooder's Why Don't You Try Me.  There are all manner of cymbal shimmers and taps going on there so I know that low level details are coming through fine without the DXEs in place.  In fact, they're better.

It's simply that I've paid a lot of attention to mains regeneration, grounding, cables and support isolation.  In my system, the DXEs don't help.  I can fully understand that in others they work well.

Any chance for you the DXEs might have benefit immediately downstream of the modem, before your player?

Say, in my situation, where I’m still fully on long-ish ethernet runs from modem to M1 macmini ...? Then leave the ER etc to do their job downstream of said M1 player.

• 7 months later...

@Superdad

This below is worth explicating -

(no probs re my experience).

65946805-6FB1-48A4-9BDF-45432A9721C1.png