IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

55 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Aesthetically it would be nicer to rest it with the silica gel tread on the eR, but I need to figure out if the tread can stand the heat.

I have 2 more left over for other small components. 

Can you remove the gel tread?  Seems like it would be possible, particularly if you put a heat gun or hair dryer to it.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Plus one on what Ray wrote.  The Cable Matters CAT8 needed at least 3 days.  I could listen with it in my system initially.  To burn it in I placed it far away from my system.

Plus 3 on what Ray wrote (and Farad Super3 here as well😃). 

I'm now running a loom of 4 Sablon 2020 ethernet cables here in my audio system, plus the prior model Sablon ethernet between my modem and router.  The Sablon 2020 cables sounded terrific when installed fresh out of the box (not surprising since they replace generic cables).  After just 2 days of burn in there were noticeable improvements with the Sablons.   

Just for fun and to check my sanity level, I pulled all of my Sablon cables and installed 4 generic ethernet cables.  Yes, I am still sane as there was a very obvious reduction in sound quality with the generic cables.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

@kennyb123I have never tried optical (have thought about it, but I've never been sufficiently motivated).  I dropped all the cables in at once and I never thought about testing for distance.

@Ponkbutler The new 2020 cables are better in every regard.  I can't think of any sonic area where the older version betters the new version.

@kennyb123 I noticed you have Nordost Sort Kones as well as Stillpoints.  I am using Stillpoints under all of my gear except for Rollerblocks in a few spots. 

I have Stillpoints under the etherRegen.  Are you planning to use any footers under your etherRegen once you rearrange your rack and if so, what footers?

How do the Stillpoints compare to the Sort Kones?

7 hours ago, PYP said:

As you should be.  The word "artisanal" came to mind :)  I won't include photos of pieces of the fancy hard cardboard spacers (from the center of wax paper container) that I strategically (of course) use to keep power cords and ICs separate.  Such is the work of an audiophile -- never done.  

Good idea.  Next project, A/B demo, rolled white cloth vs. cardboard tube roll.  Grudge match to the death.

1 hour ago, audiotunesx said:

Thanks Blake!  I'm on the next batch and have been curious of what to power the eR with.  It seems unanimous that the Farad is a good choice.  Would you also say that it is smoother, less forward or brings ease to the sound?  That's what I'm targeting. 

On random network gear I'd say the Sbooster MKII provides that and is very organic sounding, but limited in dynamics.  It does something right on the bass, kind of like vinyl.  The Keces P3 is an exceptional value, similar to Sbooster but trades a bit of sweetness for dynamics/soundstage.  I suspect neither is a match for the eR and see some debate on the LPS1.2 (though I like the idea of this).

I don't have much to contribute to this topic at this time, but will respond with some experiments next month:

a) Cascade Bonn N8 and eR

b) Cable shootout:  Supra, Cardas, Wireworld Starlight, Linkup CAT8.  The new Sablon looks good too, but will need funds for the Farad first.

It has been a while since I did my Uptone LPS 1.2 vs Farad experiments, but with the Farad using a generic power cord,....  I recall the Uptone being comparatively warmer, smoother and slightly more organic, whereas the Farad was a bit more detailed, 3D, holographic and cooler. 

Keep in mind these are just in comparison to each other and not universal statements in comparison to other LPS options.  So in other words, when I note Farad was a bit more detailed that is not to say the Uptone was deficient in terms of detail, or that because the Uptone was a bit more organic sounding, the Farad is sterile sounding.  I could see the choice here coming down to just personal sound preferences and gear matching.  Both are outstanding options. 

Now, once you start using nice power cords with the Farad, all bets are off and the Farad scales up and improves to a point where I clearly prefer the Farad, but, it hurt my wallet.  And I am keeping my Uptone LPS 1.2 for my Chord Qutest, where the LPS 1.2 is far superior to the Qutest stock power supply. 

One way to look at it....  if you don't want to futz around with expensive power cables and avoid any future temptation to do so, get the Uptone  :)

The other thing I want to mention is after-market footers used under the LPS chassis.  These power supplies can really be impacted and tuned with different footer types.  On Thursday night I decided to experiment with Stillpoints, Synergistic Research MiG's, Boston Audio Tune Blocks and Symposium Rollerblocks.  The possibilities are endless, and the crazy thing with the MiG's is that turning the cups up or down really does change and tune things.  It was both shocking and fun to swap them in and out and listen for the sonic changes. 

Sorry, I am now starting to veer a bit off the thread topic. 

@audiotunesx  I look forward to your findings!  Particularly the grounding tests.

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And 24V will blow up your EtherREGEN.  Just sayin'... :P

Ahh.... I was wondering why my audio room was 20 degrees warmer than the rest of the house and smelled like something was burning.  

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Pulled the trigger on the 2020 Sablon Pantela as well for the final mile: ER/B-Side > Innuos MK2 SE. Replacing a Ghent Belden 1303E (ET11A) CAT6A (JSSG360)

Already shipped by Mark and looking forward to listening to it

Nice choice.  You will be a happy camper!