IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 9:31 AM, stevebythebay said:

Interesting grounding. I’ve the same clock + LPS from Kenji.  He set it up per my configuration on the assumption that I’d be connecting all my equipment into my Shunyata power conditioners, which I am. He set all the GND switches to Isolate.  My assumption is that by ensuring that all devices including the LPS are connected into power conditioners which connect to wall receptacle, everything is properly grounded. Using a ground wire from the Cybershaft to the Everest ground, according to Caelin, is simply redundant. Same applies to EtherREGEN (I’m using a JS-2 for both my EtherREGEN and Roon Nucleus). 

What’s the reasoning and results of your setup?

Hi Steve,

I understand what you are saying. I was first also under the assumption that there would be no need to ground the EtheRegen and Cybershaft clock since they were both connected to the Everest through their respective LPS (inputs provided by Shunyata on audioshark forum).

But I wasn't quite impressed by the sound quality compared to what I was getting till then with my Melco + LPS without any clock.

So I tried grounding both and the sound got improved significantly in my set up. I am unable to explain why it's the case, but it was pretty clearcut.

As of today, I feel that the EteRegen set up is now a bit superior to the Melco, but it's probably close and my current feeling is that, in my environment, it's probably simpler and cheaper to just deploy a Melco with Uptone LPS instead of an expensive clock to drive the EtheRegen in a super optimized environment.

My opinion is still not final though because I am probably not fully out of burn in, and memory can be deceiving. I'll continue to listen to my list of reference recordings to confirm this opinion.

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1