IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 6/19/2020 at 12:51 PM, FrankMA said:

At about 100 hours with the Farad Super 3 on the ER I took a listen. Went back and forth between the Farad and Uptone’s SMPS. With a local file and Qobuz. The best way I can describe the improvement is an ease in the presentation. Less forward. Smoother. Better separation

I would say streaming has the larger improvements but not 100% sure. 

I did order the Audio Sensibilities cable to replace the stock Farad

I also need to experiment with power cords but so far I’m happy with the purchase. Not on the magnitude of adding the ER but a nice supplemental improvement

Thanks for providing your findings on the Farad.  If a regular power cord is used like Uptone's do you think the Farad would still provide a good benefit over the the stock Uptone SMPS?

22 minutes ago, Blake said:

This is just my opinion and experience and in no way is this gospel, but, with my etherRegen experiments and audiophile power cords I found:

(a) Uptone LPS 1.2 powering the eR is a great combo and a worthy improvement in sound quality over the eR stock power supply.  For context though, the eR with stock supply is still a very big improvement over generic switches and worth every penny.

(b) I then tried a few different "audiophile" power cords to supply power to the LPS 1.2's stock energizing supply (again, LPS 1.2 powering the eR).  I didn't really get any improvement in sound.  The sound changed somewhat, but not in an overall positive manner.  I actually found the stock power cord to be better. 

(c) I then swapped in a Farad Super3 to power the eR.  First I used a generic power cord to the Farad for about a month, to establish a base line.  Farad and eR is a terrific combo.

(d) I then replaced the generic power cord with an audiophile power cord to the Farad.  I definitely experienced a further improvement in sound which was clearly audible.  I tried a few different audiophile power cords and all cords improved the sound.

My personal conclusion:  Using audiophile cords with the stock eR energizing supply is not needed and in fact, based on my experience using them with the LPS 1.2's energizing supply which I think is basically the same as the eR energizing supply, may be detrimental (again, YMMV).  Using audiophile cords with the Farad (if funds allow and you are obsessive with sound quality like me), then for sure, the Farad scales very well with better power cords.  

Thanks Blake!  I'm on the next batch and have been curious of what to power the eR with.  It seems unanimous that the Farad is a good choice.  Would you also say that it is smoother, less forward or brings ease to the sound?  That's what I'm targeting. 

On random network gear I'd say the Sbooster MKII provides that and is very organic sounding, but limited in dynamics.  It does something right on the bass, kind of like vinyl.  The Keces P3 is an exceptional value, similar to Sbooster but trades a bit of sweetness for dynamics/soundstage.  I suspect neither is a match for the eR and see some debate on the LPS1.2 (though I like the idea of this).

I don't have much to contribute to this topic at this time, but will respond with some experiments next month:

a) Cascade Bonn N8 and eR

b) Cable shootout:  Supra, Cardas, Wireworld Starlight, Linkup CAT8.  The new Sablon looks good too, but will need funds for the Farad first.

47 minutes ago, Blake said:

It has been a while since I did my Uptone LPS 1.2 vs Farad experiments, but with the Farad using a generic power cord,....  I recall the Uptone being comparatively warmer, smoother and slightly more organic, whereas the Farad was a bit more detailed, 3D, holographic and cooler. 

Keep in mind these are just in comparison to each other and not universal statements in comparison to other LPS options.  So in other words, when I note Farad was a bit more detailed that is not to say the Uptone was deficient in terms of detail, or that because the Uptone was a bit more organic sounding, the Farad is sterile sounding.  I could see the choice here coming down to just personal sound preferences and gear matching.  Both are outstanding options. 

Now, once you start using nice power cords with the Farad, all bets are off and the Farad scales up and improves to a point where I clearly prefer the Farad, but, it hurt my wallet.  And I am keeping my Uptone LPS 1.2 for my Chord Qutest, where the LPS 1.2 is far superior to the Qutest stock power supply. 

One way to look at it....  if you don't want to futz around with expensive power cables and avoid any future temptation to do so, get the Uptone  :)

The other thing I want to mention is after-market footers used under the LPS chassis.  These power supplies can really be impacted and tuned with different footer types.  On Thursday night I decided to experiment with Stillpoints, Synergistic Research MiG's, Boston Audio Tune Blocks and Symposium Rollerblocks.  The possibilities are endless, and the crazy thing with the MiG's is that turning the cups up or down really does change and tune things.  It was both shocking and fun to swap them in and out and listen for the sonic changes. 

Sorry, I am now starting to veer a bit off the thread topic. 

Thanks Blake, great insight!  This clears a lot up and I'll give an LPS 1.2 a shot.  

I don't think footers should be off-topic.  Once a system has sufficient resolution it get's really important as well.  Having so much network related devices I've kind of cheated.  For the closet I have a PS Audio PowerBase (Blue Circle FX2 connected for distribution).  I was super surprised at how well it isolates.  No change in tone, solid bass and imaging, plus great sound stage - kind of Cerapuc like but laid back.  A lot of equipment fits on it and adding Nordost BC Kones in between it and equipment didn't improve the sound.  Outside of the closet, the Symposium Svelte Shelf does a good job as well.  In it's case, HRS footers and Cerapucs do work well in between equipment.  For some applications the smallest HRS damping plate can help, especially on light devices in which the cables are lifting them up a little.

Another experiment I'll report on is the effect of adding a ground box - Entreq Silver Minimus Infinity with their RJ45 copper or discover ground cables.  So far it's been marvelous for the router and nas.  It made the biggest difference on the TP-link FMC (using a spade ground between chassis gap).  Takes away a lot of digital glare, improves timbre, resolution and soundstage.  Hopefully, the eR benefits as well.

8 minutes ago, MartinT said:

...I meant to add, I also have grounding boxes SGS-1 on my TP-Link router and SGS-1s on my Mutec reclocker.  The trick is to use a grounding box on everything digital to sink the ground plane noise away.

Glad to see grounding is also working magic in your setup!  I haven't tried those brands, but they do look good.  I was surprised that all the network gear has responded well.  In the closet, one Entreq Infinity silver box handles the router, nas and fmc at the same time which helps with the cost (the entry ground cable works well).  The K2/Everest stabilizer adds an extra kick of energy and realism (similar to the GTX NCF, but without the analytical sonic signature).  The level of improvement from grounding is on par to providing the 3 devices with linear power from the Keces/Sbooster PSUs.  I agree, so far it really does seem every digital device needs that secondary ground drain even if the power has conditioning.  I'll report back next month when I have the eR on how well it responds to the ground box - awesome that it has a ground screw.

I don't have an external clock to experiment with, so I strongly encourage the design of a ClockREGEN!

4 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Tired a few isolation changes (IsoAcoustics Orea Orange/Herbies) to no/little benefit. Been looking at the Symposium Svelte shelf to place the Farad/ER on since they are alone on the same shelf. However they recommend not putting anything on this shelf with rubber/sorbathane feet which both of these devices seem to have.

Anybody have experience with this product for a similar application?

I have two svelte shelves:

First - Sits on a VTI stand (thin MDF), Cerapucs in between, Directstream Jr. on top.  The shelf gives a "stillpoints ultra ss" kind of effect with expansive soundstage, better imaging, etc.  It doesn't give the ultra fast speed that stillpoints would, but it is balanced from top to bottom and the bass is equally effected as the top.  Also tried it on a glass shelf before - even bigger difference, a must have.

Second - RSA Haley sits on it with HRS pucks - no metal contact.  I hear the same differences, just not the the extent as above.  I have numerous small Entreq ground boxes (made of wood), with BDR puck stack (mk4 puck, large puck, mk3 puck) underneath.  I can hear the change in warmth reversing the order.  This configuration helps refine the BDR sound by improving focus and soundstage.  I need BDR somewhere because this particular stack gives a very natural vinyl like bass signature.  The Entreq boxes had improved performance sitting on the Svelte with it's wooden feet and also the Herbies "baby" footers, but the BDR is much better.

Personally, I haven't yet experienced an issue with putting stuff of any material on the Svelte shelf.  The biggest improvement was with the metal cerapucs, but my system can't handle that sound character everywhere.  Matching the right footer to component in my opinion is more important than maximizing the Svelte by metal to metal contact.

On the PowerBase I have many items with stock feet, Sbooster MKII, Keces P3, TP-link FMC.  Tried putting Nordost BC Kones and the herbies "baby" footers, but this shelf is strange, everything sounds solid, focused, powerful just being placed directly on top.  

I'm on the next eR batch.  I intend on simply placing it on the second Svelte shelf that's close to the dac.  Given heat, light weight, potentially heavy cables tilting the eR, I'm uncertain if I'm going to put footers on or dampen.  I can try on the svelte shelf, off the svelte shelf and report on the difference later in July.  I believe earlier in this thread it was mentioned that Synergistic MiGs made a positive difference, I might give this a shot as well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 6:27 AM, kzs70 said:

Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading the fuse in my Keces P3 too. I have checked the rating of the fuse originally installed in it, and it seems a T1.0A  type (it is hard to read).

Which type/rating fuse did you replace it with? Was it the SR Blue?

Thanks,

Zsolt

Hi, the Keces P3 is sensitive to the fuse.  Per the manual 'Fuse : 2A fuse for 115V / 1A fuse for 230V'.  I'm using a 115v and can confirm a 2A small/fast blow (F) fuse was in it.  I'm guessing you're using 230v.  With SR fuses you want to go one notch up, so I use 2.5v to avoid blowing the fuse when switching the unit on.  The stock silver/ceramic is a little unnatural sounding on the treble and a few reviews have noted that in comparison to the Sbooster.  The blue fuse corrects that and provides a very large jump in sound well worth it's price, especially if they're on sale for ~90 USD.  My only issue with the Blue fuse is that everywhere I've heard it, there is a certain coolness/dryness in the upper frequencies that always present.  To me the timbre is off, as the blue fuse imparts a slightly artificial character.  Yesterday though, I heard what the orange fuse can do (though not on the Keces).  It has a much longer break-in period and can sound off at first (dull, too warm).  The orange is more realistic and natural sounding.  It also really cleans up bass <40hz.  Personally, I'm waiting for another 3 for 2 or 30% off sale and will pick up a few of these.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
8 hours ago, magnuska said:

Agree; I tried Entreq silver minimus infinity on the ER but I was no improvement as you say. Does it work for you on the router instead? 

The ER benefits from better powersupply, better external clock🙂

I use a Silver Minimus Infinity (with an Everest knob) for my network gear.  I'm grounding my NAS with a copper spade cable and the router with a RJ45 copper cable (I like the non-Infinity version better on this spot).  The infinity box can handle up to 3 small network devices (I had the silent angel switch on it as well, and tplink fmc's before that).  On the NAS/Router/Silent Angel the usual "entreq magic" applies, in fact the difference is larger than then on the dac in my system.  I think the Silver Minimus Infinity is perfect for network gear with the copper cables, I did not like the regular infinity minimus on this spot it was just too dull (and I'm one that prefers warmth).  The eR is the only device I've tried that didn't take to entreq ground boxes, heck I even did a footer shootout (symposium rollerball jr, mig 2.0, herbies tenderfeet/baby footers, bdr cones, stillpoints ultra ss) and still couldn't improve the sound.  The eR is how products should be built and IMO the best value of all that I've tried to improve my network section.  I'm not going to touch it, but if there is an eR1.2 in years to come I want to be on the first batch.