IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

I just posted my listening impressions, and now want to explore whether or not to go down the rabbit hole of power supplied and cables.  I know a lot of these improvements are system dependent, but just interested in views of others as to whether these will be noticeable upgrades or just a very tiny improvement.  In my review I noted that EtherRegen gave another overall 5% improvement to my system.

To review:

My System:

A side

Asus Cable Modem > Monoprice slim run Cat 6a

Imac (Roon Core) > Generic Cat 5

Apple TV 4K > Generic Cat 5 

B Side

Terra Grand Cat 7 > Oppo BDP 205 (modified) (Roon endpoint) > Coax > AMC DAC 9 (modified) > Aesthetix Mimas Integrated > Vandersteen Quatro CTs

Power:  PS Audio Stellar 3 Regenerator (except for cable modem and Imac).

Key Questions:

Should I replace the stock power supply with:

UltraCap LPS 1.2

Or

JS-2

If so, what are the areas that are improved for each?

If I get a JS-2, as I understand it, I cannot use both rails for EtherRen and A side Asus Modem as that would violate the “moat” correct? Is there a work around?

As a completely separate question, should I consider an LPS 1.2 for the Asus Modem?

Given the investment in my System, I’m happy to spend the money in the right place if it gives a meaningful improvement (I know what’s meaningful to me might not be meaningful to you) but still interested on others views on how they have viewed the cost/benefit tradeoff of these further tweaks.

Also, any thoughts on Ethernet cables also welcome.  Thanks all!

16 hours ago, octaviars said:

You will not violate the isolation when you power the etherREGEN and a modem on the A-side with a JS-2.

If you where to power the etherREGEN and a component on the B-side then you would defeat the purpose of the isolation as JS-2 have a shared -0V for the two outputs.

Ok thanks, that definitely opens up the possibilities.  Looks like my Netgear router is 12v 3.5A so only the JS-2 can deliver that, but I'd also be able to supply the REGEN at the same time.  Now to ponder whether I should order to experiment, or am I just chasing my tail?  Thanks again!

On 3/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, PYP said:

I’ve been comparing the eR powered by its SMPS and powered by the JS-2 LPS.   Now that the JS-2 is settled in (received it in early February ), the comparison is very evident in my system.  As others have reported, with the JS-2 increases the improvements already brought by the eR with its SMPS.  

In my system, the SMPS sounded great in the evening, but wasn’t consistent the rest of the time.  To me, that meant the problem was power-related (perhaps the issue was taming the junk coming into the house via the power lines).  When the eR wasn’t at its best, the highs were not as good as without the eR.  Since it was easy to hear the eR’s potential in the evening, and I wasn’t willing to lose those improvements, I looked at UpTone's other gear for a solution.

For me, the JS-2 -- which is a solid, beautiful piece of gear – solved the issues.  But it did more than solve the issues:  the SQ is now better than the eR at its best (in the evening) with the SMPS.  While the improvements are across the board, the improvement to female singers has really caught my attention lately (perhaps because my speakers, to my taste, excel with voices).  Today I was listening to one of my favorite albums by Eliane Elias and the most nuanced changes in her voice were evident.  For the first time, I could hear when she changed her inflection to follow the music as it got funkier.  And at one point, I could “hear” her smile (perhaps at the lyric?) and I was transported to the studio.  We all have had that experience because we have all spent countless hours (years/decades) researching, obsessing (don’t forget the obsessing), listening, buying gear, selling gear, buying more gear and tweaking our system.  That moment of transcendence makes it all worth it.  

Beyond the great, cost-effective solutions that UpTone offers, I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank Alex for his first-class customer service.  Truly exceptional.  

Lastly, thank you @skatbelt for reporting that the JS-2 improved SQ and that it could be a worthwhile investment.  The JS-2, of course, has two rails, so I’ll experiment with an opticalModule when I receive it from Sonore.  

Thanks for the insights on the JS-2 improvements.  Since I am using a PS Audio power regenerator with the stock REGEN supply, I'm wondering if the already clean regenerated power would make the addition of a JS-2 much less impactful.  Thoughts anyone on the difference, if any, between better regulated power and clean power?  Thanks!

37 minutes ago, PYP said:

Perhaps you have already seen Rajiv's must-read review of the eR.  From his system, you can see that he uses a PSA regenerator, yet he finds differences, which he explains in some detail, among LPS units.   He doesn't mention the JS-2 specifically, but the principle is the same.  While I personally don't believe that anyone can reliably anticipate the changes to other systems -- too many variables to consider, including listener hearing/preference, room, power, etc.  -- many folks have found that a quality LPS will enhance your eR experience.  I suppose the question that cannot be answered is how much of a difference it will make.   

Thanks, I did not realize Rajiv had used a PSA regenerator -- loved his review.  Guess I will have to try for myself.  Thanks again!

On 4/2/2020 at 7:49 PM, austinpop said:

My experience with power enhancements is that they are all additive. I found that the following 2 were a "tide that lifted all boats:" 

1. adding dedicated circuit(s)
  2. adding a power regenerator

Both of these made a difference system-wide. And ... if anything, they enabled downstream DC PSUs to shine even more. Everything matters.

Thanks Rajiv, this is a good principle for me to follow.  Thanks so much for all your hard work and comprehensive and entertaining reviews/experiments.  Greatly appreciated!!!

4 hours ago, skatbelt said:

I have a dedicated power line and an isolation transformer as power 'clean up' measures. Despite this, the JS-2 makes a significant difference compared to the stock SMPS.

Thanks for that insight.  JS-2 may need an audition by me in lock-down, will have to see.  I'm enjoying the EtherREGEN more every day even with the stock supply!