IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Very interesting thread. Posting to subscribe.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

I installed Cable Matters cat 8 Yesterday as recommended by Jud and a few others. I think I like what I am hearing. I am running my Aurender N10 24/7 to break them in. I have one 1 meter cable on the “A” side and one on the “B” side going to the N10.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

BTW, can anyone tell me why I'm not getting email updates on this topic? I was getting them for this thread and the main ER thread and now don't receive updates on either thread.

31 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

I went with the Ghent Linkway Cat8 jssg360 pair into the ER & moved my original Ghent Cat6 jssg pair out of macmini into Netgear gs105 switch (in other room).

Another incremental uptick!

@sandervdp

Can you buy the Ghent jssg360 cables assembled or is this DIY only?

@MartinT

I did find that my replies from Uptone threads are going to my spam. I'll add their email to my address book. Hopefully that'll stop that.

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

I didn't have the Ghent 6a. I had the Monoprice Slimrun, which is Cat6. I also had the Cable Matters Cat8. Both seemed good in different ways - the Slimrun with a nice bottom, the Cable Matters with a more open top end. The current Ghent Cat8 seems to me to have all this and more. I don't feel as if there's anything missing when I listen, just very happy.

I've had the Monoprice 5E from the start (1.5+ years). Actually works quite well. Then I got the Supra Cat 8+ and after it burned in it was much much better than the Monoprice, both on my server and my TV. Then based on yours and a few others comments, I tried the $11.99 Cable Matters Cat8 (with about 4 days burn in) and found that the CM seemed better in the mids but inferior in both bass and treble response - basically it does not seem very linear in frequency response. The Supra 8+ overall is much more musical whereas the Cable Matters Cat8 is mechanical. I'm putting on more hours on the CM and will report back after around a month. I don't really think it'll get much better, but want to keep an open mind. I may give the Ghent Cat8 a try after the Cable Matters burns in.

Thanks for the feedback Jud and others.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick a month or so ago. Bought it so I could download some apps and have new streaming options. I noticed that the Roku sounded much better than the app built into my TV and that maybe it had slightly better PQ as well. I know this isn't related to the ER, yet. But wanted to preface how the discussion below came about.

I've been meaning to try experiment with my TVs network connection as it has always been connected to my router. So last night I swapped some cables around. I connected the TV to the "A" side of the ER and the SQ took a small but significant jump. It was really in the micro detail where it was evident along with a larger presentation of the sound stage with nice depth and perhaps the sound is a bit cleaner as well. I used a new Netflix show with excellent PQ/SQ, "Don't Crack Under Pressure III" to try to ascertain the change from acquiring a network signal from the router vs the "A" side of the ER. In terms of picture quality, it seemed mostly a draw. But again, in the finer details it seemed that the ER won out and I think overall the PQ was slightly improved. I have not tried the "B" side of the ER to the TV as it is dedicated to making music with my N10. I do know this though, I will leave the TV connected to the ER because it brings better sound and that for me is enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I built my system a couple years ago, I've had Monoprice Cat5e, Cable Matters 8, and Supra 8+. Surprisingly, the Monoprice is pretty good. After doing some research, I bought the Supra 8+ and didn't like it as much as the Monoprice. But once burned in, the Supra was a good bit better than the Monoprice. Then, based on the recommendation of several here, I bought the Cable Matters 8 and swapped it in for the Supra 8+. The Supra 8+ was much much better than the CM8. However, after about 1.5 months of burn in, the CM8 and Supra 8+ are pretty close. I still like the Supra 8+ the best, but it is pretty close. I think the Supra is just overall a bit more natural and being that I already own it and the CM8, I have the Supra 8+ on my server and the CM8 is now on my TV. BTW, I compared the Monoprice 5e to the Supra 8+ on the TV and there was not that much differnce in PQ, but in SQ, the Supra 8+ was much better on the TV. At $49 for the Supra, not a bad bet. But really, the CM8 is also near it and about three times less.

I plan to try the Ghent ET12 Linkway CAT8 40Gbps/2000MHz Ethernet(JSSG360) Cable next as many note it to be better than the CM8. Though I'm going to focus on an LPS for the ER and a better power strip to run it and the few computer items in the separate room where the ER resides, first.

@FrankMA - I agree, even network cable needs significant burn in. I've proven that twice with the CM8 and the Supra 8+.

• 4 weeks later...

@FrankMA  Very interesting. Thanks Frank.

• 1 month later...

@charlesphoto

I wondered some time after I posted if it was you that posted the photo. I appreciate your noting it was another; nevertheless, thank you. BTW, I have one iFi AC Purifier in my system and am thinking of purchasing a few more. I just got this one maybe a month ago and I thought that it was making things better, now I wonder. So I just need a little time to test to make sure what I'm hearing. If I hear positive SQ improvement, I will probably buy around three more to plug into each of my dedicated lines and I suppose try them around the room to see if I get better results somewhere else besides on the dedicated circuits.

An update on the fans. I misspoke on how cool the ER is. It is actually running just slightly warm. But, as I stated before, it runs much cooler than it ever has - the AC Infinity fans work well for this purpose.

On 10/9/2020 at 8:32 AM, sbilotta said:

read this if you're interested in 2 ERs working together:

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/one-step-forward-er-lpsu/10204/280?u

@chungjh

This was posted on the prior page. It may answer your question.

8 hours ago, Discopants said:

Supra is supposed to be better than most at the budget end and outperforms cables 4 or 5 times more expensive allegedly. I have AQ  vodka which I picked up 50% off retail 2nd hand i cant say it was noticably better than chord c stream that it replaced. Sablon has plenty of fans as you can see, I might try one of those 1 day.

I have used Monoprice Cat 5e, Cable Matters 8, and Supra 8+. Both the CM and Supra are better than the Monoprice, but I consistently liked the Supra 8+ better. I may try the Ghent Audio cable at some point, but I'm pretty happy with Supra @ $50/meter. You can find them on eBay.

• 3 weeks later...

Some people use heatsinks and some use fans. I'm using a fan and the case is now just warm rather than hot and I have not noticed a decline in SQ. I actually put a fan on my stereo amp too and it now runs much cooler but I did not notice any change in SQ either. John, thanks for sharing with us.

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking of trying Ghentaudio cables since they get good press here in this forum.

I've tried Monoprice 5e, Cable Matters 8, and Supra 8+. It just gets better with each change. So, for those of you who have the ET11 Catsnake 6 or the ET12 Linkway Cat 8, I'm curious to know if you think it is a solid step up from the Supra 8+ to Ghentaudio? And if you have heard both the ET11 and ET12, do you prefer one over the other? I have read that the the ET11 can have or cause problems with the ER but a number of people seem to recommend that cable here in this forum anyway. Also ET11 vs ET12, is the ET12 that much stiffer? The Cable Matters 8 is stiffer than the Supra 8+, but doesn't seem to be that big a deal.

Finally, is there a real benefit to using a Ghentaudio cable on both sides of the ER? 

• 4 weeks later...

Fans are also an option. I've used one when the ER was in my rack and ran hotter. A small fan on low worked wonders and didn't seem to affect the sound in any way. I also use a 2-lb door stop on top of the ER. It works as a way to keep it anchored and as a heat sink too.

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, Superdad said:

No, our stance has always just been that an upgraded clock and power supply are not required in order to enjoy the majority of the benefits of the EtherREGEN.

But producing the device with provision for those to be added allowed us to offer the basic (yet still VERY advanced!) switch at reasonable cost, and for those who wish to carry it further.

We could build a big EtherREGEN with state-of-the-art AC>DC power supply and top-end OCXO built in (plus other enhancements), but the price would then be several thousand. Not going there anytime soon... 9_9

Would like to see the BIG ER option. Get rid of extra power supplies, power cords, etc. I understand, not until 2022!

@JohnSwenson

I, and of course many others, really appreciate all of your in-depth explanations.

23 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Thanks for the actual engineer explanation! 
I only have one Ethernet in on A side, and one Ethernet out on B side. 
Also, I use the EtherRegen with my Aurender streamer / server, which loads everything onto an internal SSD first, prior to playback, so perhaps this is why my never gets too hot like others have claimed ? 

I have the same situation as you. ER sits under a desk with plenty of airflow but is very warm. Had it in the system over a year now and never a hiccup.

FYI - I am using an Aurender N10 with ER +and LPS. It connects immediately every time I change a cable, etc. I admit I very infrequently do this, but I've never had any connection issues. I'm using Super 8+ and Monoprice Cat 5e between router/modem and endpoint. See my sig for exact wire routing.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Iving said:

Anyway - Perhaps we "audiophools" don't appreciate that "all ethernet cables sound the same". Researching remote control options, this morning I came across this video. Watch it to the end if you can. The "PPI" is hilarious!!!

The "PPI" button is indeed hilarious!!!

• 4 weeks later...

FYI - See my sig. I run an Aurender N10 with ER + Paul Hynes SR4T currently, and with the stock wall wart to the ER in prior config. I've never had any hiccups pre or post the LPS, just better sound. Your config looks more complex than mine, but just wanted to share my experience.