IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

8 hours ago, skatbelt said:

Thx. So you choose a Cat 8 version. I discovered just now that Ghent has this option. A linkway cable. I was under the assumption they only had one constructed with Cat 6a Belden and Metz connectors.

I don’t like the Metz connectors (they don’t always engage properly), so went with the same Belden cable from DesignaCable. It’s quite flexible being a braided CatSnake and gives a very strong, balanced performance in my system that I’m very pleased with, but doesn’t have the additional end-to-end connection. The shield on mine is floating. I prefer these to the Belden CatSnake Cat5e and much prefer them to the BJC Cat6a, Supra Cat8 abd Sablon Super Panatela (another very stiff and heavy cable with Telegartners, which engage better than the Metz but are longer, putting a lot of leverage on the sockets) never mind the Audioquest Vodkas and Wireworld Starlights. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, PYP said:

I know this kind of stuff makes some heads hurt, but this is to my ears, in my system, with my own set of preferences and prejudices.  Your mileage will vary, but hopefully it will settle in and work well for you.  Since you already own it, just sit back and hear for yourself.  Enjoy!

Yeah. You're not alone. Most of the burn-in was done by day 10 in my system but there were still small improvements afterwards

From my reading, the Farad is considered to be slightly below or at best on a par with the PH SR4. Note that Paul has just brought out an SR4 Turbo and also has a 5 between the 4 and the SR7 which is considered to make a bigger difference than any on your list. The only problem with PH is apparently the very long waiting times.

I use Custom Hi-Fi Cables power supplies made and designed by Sean Jacobs who designed the power supply for the Innuos Statement. His DC3 brought a significant sonic enhancement to my Roon Nucleus+. I am on the waiting list for a power supply for my EtherRegens, which he should start working on soon with any luck.

• 4 weeks later...

The Sean Jacobs /Custom HiFi Cables custom power supply for my daisychained EtherRegens arrived yesterday and straight out of the box it has been a very big step up, with a much more organic out-of-the-speakers sound, greater bass extension and articulacy, clearer and sweeter trebles, a broader, deeper soundstage with more precise instrument placement and greater instrumental detail and integrity.  

I really wasn’t expecting such a big difference and am very excited in the knowledge it will just keep getting better for around a month. It’s incredible to think a power supply upgrade can make such big difference vs. the high quality SMPS bundled with the EtherRegen. It pretty much doubles the upgrade compared to the Cisco Catalyst PD models I was using beforehand and really shows the potential in Uptone’s desgn.

Hi there! I’m answering both questions in the same post.

It’s a custom supply because I don’t physically have space for a DC4. So it’s a DC3 box with an Innuos Statement transformer, three legs, two of which power the EtherRegens, Mundorf capacitors and some of the regulator technology of the DC4. In addition, one of the outlets has an earthing switch. I am using this on the first of the EtherRegens, which has several A-side connections, whereas the second EtherRegen, which has only 1 A-side connection, is not earthed. John and Alex have both clarified that the earthing only helps when you have multiple A- side connections.

8 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Hang on, if a single supply is powering both ERs, then the separation between them is lost, so much of the benefit of the upstream ER is gone. What is the other rail powering? (It shouldn’t be anything downstream of any ER)

The rails on this supply are dedicated (separate regulation and everything) and completely isolated from each other. The third rail is not currently powering anything. 

• 5 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Don't fall into that trap...it's not needed to get great sound.  

No, it's not needed to get great sound from the EtherRegen. But a Sean Jacobs DC3 PSU with a few added bits and bobs, including Mundorf capacitors, doubled the improvement I was getting from the EtherRegen, so if you have the money it's worthwhile. Those who also add a very high-end external clock state that makes an even bigger difference and that the PSU makes less of a difference when when also has a clock like the SoTM or Mutec, suggesting that it is the effect of the PSU on the internal clock in the EtherRegen that makes much of the difference.

26 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

So a PSU doubled the performance of your ER? I'm scratching my head here. Most of us have been highly impressed by the SQ boost; are you claiming the PSU created that same exact effect?

FYI, my Kesces P3 isn't detectable in a blind test. 

I'm astonished the Keces makes so little difference in your system. It's obviously not exactly the same effect but it was equally large in my system.

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Good info. I wonder if anyone did compare Supra CAT8+ with the Ghent JSSG360.

I prefer the DesignaCable Belden CatSnake Cat6a by a long margin, which is what the Ghent uses, with the addition of the JS wire and an additional outer sheath.

57 minutes ago, Blake said:

I'm now running a loom of 4 Sablon 2020 ethernet cables here in my audio system, plus the prior model Sablon ethernet between

How do you find the old and new Sablons compare? I quite liked the old one in many ways, but wasn't sold on its reproduction of classical instrument tones and textures or micro-dynamics which I found unconvincing for say piano, brass and cello but also drums.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi:

I see this is your first post to Audiophile Style, so a big welcome to you!

Unless your real name is Gary W., I can tell you that we did recently have one other report of someone (Gary) having your same trouble with CATSNAKE Cat6a cabling!  I have no idea why that would be so, but I guess there is something about that cable that disagrees with the EtherREGEN. Makes no sense. But if you can get it to work with other cables then that's your answer.

We do have a lot of Devialet users enjoying the EtherREGEN, so there should be no problem there.

Have a great weekend,

--Alex C.

Respectfully the problem is somewhere else. That makes no sense. They are simply Belden broadcast cables. I have a full loom of CatSnake Cat6a cables and no problem with Roon Nucleus and two daisychained EtherRegens to a Naim ND555.

8 hours ago, Snowman8888 said:

Hi, I am having trouble keeping the connection of roon (via SonicTransport i5) to my devialet with CATSNAKE Cat6a Ethernet as the switch to devialet connection. Other ethernet cables are fine. When it works with the CATSNAKE it sound fantastic but will all of a sudden just stop , losing connection. I have a cisco before the ER. Anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution? 

Thanks

I and others have found the EtherRegen can get "upset" after several cable swaps and start dropping out, after which it will require a power down and restart. Give it time for everything to properly discharge or you may find you have to do it twice.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FrankMA said:

Pulled the trigger on the 2020 Sablon Pantela as well for the final mile: ER/B-Side > Innuos MK2 SE. Replacing a Ghent Belden 1303E (ET11A) CAT6A (JSSG360)

Already shipped by Mark and looking forward to listening

I look forward to hearing how you find it. I prefer the standard Belden 1303E CatSnake with floating shield to the pre-2020 Sablon Panatela.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Mops911 said:

I think the value was -130dB at 10Hz

I just wonder more generic. If lets say the eR improves sound by +1 (whatever that is), how much improvements do peripherals do?

- Clock? +0.2?

- good LPS, +0.25?

- cables and others, +0.1?

I get the diminishing returns, but if a decent clock (AfterDark Prince) with its own LPS would only add 20% of SQ but 100% in price, its likely not worth it....

Any thoughts?

I've not played with clocks (yet) but adding a Sean Jacobs LPS to the ER was almost as big as adding the ER in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Nope. For the second time I've taken them out of circuit. Some of the life was gone from my music. Not exactly dynamics but the DX filters just make it sound flatter. Removing them has restored its sense of life and vibrancy.

I'm afraid these are just not working for me. They're staying out.

Suspect it’s going to be the same for me