IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Have people any clever solutions for a weight to keep the ER from tilting with heavy cables? I was literally thinking a glass paperweight, but something that did not interfere with heat dissipation. 

If you have a clever solution, I'm all ears. Or is it - ERs? :) 

These work perfectly, £5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Relaxdays-10012983-Stainless-Protective-Scratch-Free/dp/B00R36MLVA/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=door+stop&qid=1590566191&sr=8-12

46 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Exactly how do you position these doorstop thingies?  On top of the ER?  Behind the ER?  Under the cables to and from the ER? 

The ER sitting on isolation platform (Symposium) and door stop sitting on top of the ER, I have heavy cables and hold it down. Also If I recall I use 4 wee pieces of black tac to stop the ER swiveling if the cable moves.  

On 5/27/2020 at 6:14 PM, austinpop said:

Thanks for the great ideas!

So no issues with the felt (on the coasters) or the rubber tread on the doorstop coming into contact with the hot exterior of the ER?

@audiopop with my recent build & new HDPLEX case (extra backplate), I now have a spare H5 case. 

My plan is for better isolation is to use the case for my modem, Edge Router, EtherRegen, Sonore OM. Removing all them from their cases. Effectively everything in one case. other added benefits, cleans up the spaghetti of devices & cables, shorter cables, sure many more. Just an idea. 

1 hour ago, bailyhill said:

On the subject of Power Supplies, is interesting to note that over on the Naim Forum, where folks push the envelope and tweak and listen to music, there have been reports of comparisons of power supplies in the 2K Pound/Euro price range ($2500) and apparently some folks can and are willing to spend that much for one.  In addition, the benefits from a $4000 Ref 10 clock is also recognized.  Even the folks there realize that its ridiculous to spend $6500 in accessories for a $640 ER--and some do it.  I considered it myself.  "When you have big bucks invested in your system, what's another couple of grand".   Think of the good it can do elsewhere.  I grew up where and when cars were standard with no radio and no heater.  A loaded vehicle included radio and heater, and they were advertised that way--and a new Chevy was about $1500--gas 0.16 per gallon, penny postcards, 3 cent stamps--sorry to digress.  My how things have changed.  Now if you don't have nav, heated seats/steering wheel, bluetooth, comfort access, radar cruize, self driving, pano roof, etc, you feel like you have not arrived yet.  

I know one of Sean Jacobs specialties is upgrading Naim gear.  

1 hour ago, Ponkbutler said:

No, it's not needed to get great sound from the EtherRegen. But a Sean Jacobs DC3 PSU with a few added bits and bobs, including Mundorf capacitors, doubled the improvement I was getting from the EtherRegen, so if you have the money it's worthwhile. Those who also add a very high-end external clock state that makes an even bigger difference and that the PSU makes less of a difference when when also has a clock like the SoTM or Mutec, suggesting that it is the effect of the PSU on the internal clock in the EtherRegen that makes much of the difference.

I agree,

I am using SJ DC3 1 rail for the EtherRegen, and yes big improvement over stock SMPS. Not suggesting you go and buy an LPS for £1000 to power the Etheregen, but like me, if you are planning on buying an SJ DC3 with say 5 rails, then adding another rail for £250 to power the EtherRegen then it's worth it. 

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, sahmen said:

I am just about to upgrade both my cable modem and my router, respectively, to the   MOTOROLA MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 and the ASUS RT-AX3000 Dual Band WiFi Router. Would there be any special advantage in linking the modem and the router with an Audiophile RJ45 noise reducing cable, even if I have both an Etherregen and an optical module also linked in the chain downstream and feeding my Metrum Ambre streamer (Roonbridge)?

I should add that the idea of connecting the modem to the router with a noise attenuating RJ45 cable is not only meant to have some impact on these exclusively audio SQ dedicated components (such as the ER and OM), I am also thinking it might have some positive effect on other AV components in my house in general, components that are  hooked up to the router, but not to the chain in which the Etherrtegen and the Optical Module are located.  These are typical AV components such as my Oppo 203 Blu ray player, or my LG Oled TV, as well as some AV streamers such as Apple TV 4k, that are connected with them.  In other words, will a noise-attenuating audiophile RJ45 cable (connecting a modem to a router) also have an enhancing effect on the picture quality of a TV, a streamer, or blu ray blu ray player that are hooked up to the router, assuming that all of these components are plugged into power conditioners?

Quite few members here using a modem, & Ubiquiti Edge X SFP, then Ubiquiti access point. Then you could use SFP on the Edge to EtherRegen SFP. Giving good isolating. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, chungjh said:

Yes, I saw that. I was just wondering if others also hear an upgrade with 2x ER.

I recall another member saying he tried 2, and gave an increase in SQ, but then tried 1 with Sean Jacobs LPS, and didn't notice any difference with the 2nd one. So, I suspect it's down to the quality of the LPS. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

Having received my ER yesterday, I left it running overnight.
This morning I find it "very hot". It is quite confusing.

The ER is placed in an open place, alone.

I think I read that this hot thing is normal, but I didn't think it was so hot. By comparison, my Switch Sotm is cold.
Can we reassure him on this point? . The case is the heat-sink?

It is therefore advisable to always leave on

Yes it's fine! They're countless posts about this. Mine is very hot also. Never had any issues.