IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 4/2/2020 at 2:47 PM, Superdad said:

But perhaps a few of you EtherREGEN (and maybe DS DAC-owning) users might wish to offer a counter perspective in the comments section of either the YouTube or AskPaul video postings.

Done

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

On 6/5/2020 at 2:58 PM, Lucie said:

To come to a clear conclusion: the Farad is a huge improvement for the ER over the SMPS

Hello @Lucie Any grounding issues switching to the 12V Farad Super 3?

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

Appreciate the fast answer Lucie. Had just ordered the Farad Super 3 for the ER. Thank you

Thanks for that. I thought the recommendation was 12V. Will see if I can change it. Definitely for the ER

thanks again

Hi @kennyb123 I'm definitely confused on which way to go here.  Buying specifically for the ER.  Asking Mattijs what his thoughts are for this application

That would be great I'm sure. But A couple of reasons: 1) cost 2) wait time. Farad is shipping today

Mattijs has indicated 7V is predominant for the ER so I have changed my order. Thanks for the help everyone

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

A brand new 12v Farad Super3 arrived here this morning and is now powering my ER.  

Hi Kenny,

My Farad arrived today too.  7V with the Synergistic Orange fuse and Furtech inlet upgrades. Have to use the stock Farad cable to the ER because I don't have anything else with that Farad connector. Does Audio Sensibility stock that and if yes what is it called?

Using a AQ NRG-4 PC just for now.

The unit is quite nice looking. Solid feel. Mattijs is great to deal with. Super fast shipping. 

Burning in right now and will give it 50 hrs or so before I listen for the first time

I did notice something odd with the 5MM/2.1 connector to the ER. Does not seem to go in all the way. Are you noticing that?

IMG_1264.jpeg

At about 100 hours with the Farad Super 3 on the ER I took a listen. Went back and forth between the Farad and Uptone’s SMPS. With a local file and Qobuz. The best way I can describe the improvement is an ease in the presentation. Less forward. Smoother. Better separation

I would say streaming has the larger improvements but not 100% sure. 

I did order the Audio Sensibilities cable to replace the stock Farad

I also need to experiment with power cords but so far I’m happy with the purchase. Not on the magnitude of adding the ER but a nice supplemental improvement

Hi Kenny. Using an AQ NRG-4. A huge AQ fan but not of this series. I have a Nordost Blue Heaven I will be trying next. I suspect I will notice a bigger improvement

I have a bit of improvement overload with items I have bought recently and I’m trying to space it out:

Innuos Phoenix

Farad Super 3

Next

Change to shipped Phasure Lush config
Lush 2 replacing Lush 1

audio Sensibilities for the Farad

AQ Hurricane on the PS DAC 

good problems to have 😀

Sorry to hear that Kenny. When you say dropouts are you indicating lost Roon server connection dropouts or audio dropouts?

1 hour ago, audiotunesx said:

Thanks for providing your findings on the Farad.  If a regular power cord is used like Uptone's do you think the Farad would still provide a good benefit over the the stock Uptone SMPS?

yes I do. Like most devices it will respond to a better PC. However I don’t plan on adding a $1000 PC to a $600 PS to improve the $600 ER though 😀

Hi Al - I think it is circular.....or payback!  Not sure 😂

At least the door stop is reasonable

On 6/19/2020 at 2:57 PM, FrankMA said:

I have a bit of improvement overload with items I have bought recently and I’m trying to space it out:

Innuos Phoenix

Farad Super 3

Next

Change to shipped Phasure Lush config
Lush 2 replacing Lush 1

Audio Sensibilities for the Farad

AQ Hurricane on the PS DAC 

good problems to have 😀

I did space out the Phoenix and the Farad and was very happy with those changes. 

I got a bit impatient since I had to rearrange a bunch of items in my rack and added in:

1. Lush 2 replacement for my Lush 1
  2. AQ Hurricance on the DAC (replacing an older Shunyata Python CX)

At these hours I was very impressed with what I was hearing:

Phoenix (611)

Farad (196)

AC Hurricane (106)

Lush 2 (118)

Was listening to Todd Rundgren's "Can We Still Be Friends" and I have never heard this song in my system sound this good. Depth, separation, clarity, punch in a very quiet background!

Continued my impatience and added in the Audios Sensibilities Signature Silver DC cable to the Farad. Nice uptick cold out of the box. That should improve going forward.

Tired a few isolation changes (IsoAcoustics Orea Orange/Herbies) to no/little benefit. Been looking at the Symposium Svelte shelf to place the Farad/ER on since they are alone on the same shelf. However they recommend not putting anything on this shelf with rubber/sorbathane feet which both of these devices seem to have.

Anybody have experience with this product for a similar application?

17 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

It turned out that the Svelte shelf was injecting energy back into my table.  I can’t say if using their couplers would have helped.  Just pointing out that care needs to be taken to find the right match.

Thanks @kennyb123 That was a worry. I know you are a big Stillpoints proponent. Do you find they add any brightness to your system?

16 hours ago, audiotunesx said:

On the PowerBase I have many items with stock feet, Sbooster MKII, Keces P3, TP-link FMC.  Tried putting Nordost BC Kones and the herbies "baby" footers, but this shelf is strange, everything sounds solid, focused, powerful just being placed directly on top.  

I'm on the next eR batch.  I intend on simply placing it on the second Svelte shelf that's close to the dac.  Given heat, light weight, potentially heavy cables tilting the eR, I'm uncertain if I'm going to put footers on or dampen.  I can try on the svelte shelf, off the svelte shelf and report on the difference later in July.  I believe earlier in this thread it was mentioned that Synergistic MiGs made a positive difference, I might give this a shot as well.

Thanks @audiotunesx  I really need to go through the work to add the Powerbase and try it for the Farad/ER. I have to reconfigure that shelf due to height restrictions since I'm using that Darko Door Stop as a resonance/stability device on the ER.

Interested to hear you you make out in July

7 hours ago, flkin said:

Over the years I’ve used the platform with many devices with good results. Currently I have my streamer on the Ultra coupled with 5 aluminum pucks. Each one placed where it has maximum stiff and solid contact with the platform. My other components rest on their Isis platform which is more like the Svelte shelves. 

What I also do is decouple the platform also. So beneath the Ultra I place compliant products like Rollerblocks or the same. This helps reduce the vibrational energy from the floor (from speakers, traffic, seismic movements and the world at large) from getting into the platform and the device. Although I usually user Rollerblocks, I’m experimenting with these air-conditioning compressor isolation pucks with good results. 

https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-3E-E-V-A-Anti-Vibration-Pad-3-x-3-x-7-8

Learnt this from someone here 😄

The overall effect for my Streamer is a nice improvement in sound - as expected from my years of using Symposium products. For me it’s a critical item I use for everything in my hifi. 

Thanks @flkin  When you say Rollerblocks are you talking Herbie's?  Interesting use of a AC anti-vibration product. Certainly cheap enough to try

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure - I use a Y adapter so I get both ears 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 9:47 AM, BigAlMc said:

Dammit man, why would you go and give me that as a data point 😉

Pulled the trigger on the 2020 Sablon Pantela as well for the final mile: ER/B-Side > Innuos MK2 SE. Replacing a Ghent Belden 1303E (ET11A) CAT6A (JSSG360)

Already shipped by Mark and looking forward to listening to it

Thanks all. Will get back to you guys. Might be awhile since I'm going to give it 400-500 hours to give it a fair shot against my current. But will post impressions

• 4 weeks later...