IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Interesting.  I wonder if he found a difference or tried all copper Ethernet.  It's difficult for me to justify how the optical wavelength used could impact the sound and flatten or crush the sound stage; perhaps unless the 850nm SFP were faulty but again, it's a situation of either signal or no signal.  It can be too low or too hot but this will only cause retries or dropouts of the data.

It's cheap to experiment but use caution to not to lose the forest for the trees (or music).

fyi and fwiw, I have an ER in my system and very much like what it's brought to the system.  I've got copper from a Cisco 2960G feeding it and 850nm multi-mode out to my server with PCIe board then I2S to my DAC.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 9:13 PM, kennyb123 said:

The attenuators tended to reveal a bit more to me after swapping one in for another that had been in place for a few days at least.  While I have had the Startech SFPs for a while, my system got quite a better over the weekend after shifting a few things around.  I’ll have to spend more time with each of these to be able to reach any firm conclusions.  I guess I’m actually somewhat relieved that the differences were pretty subtle.  

How about some lesser dB attenuators on LX?  ZX is WAY powerful (40KM) and if it sounds better with 10dB of attenuation, it follows that LX (10KM) would be affected by say 2-5dB attenuation.  At $3 each, I'm going to pick up an assortment to try but I'm only going with 1310nm LX (10KM) and a 10m SMF patch.

I'll have the parts I ordered by the end of next week.  Perhaps the primary difference is LED vs laser.  SX transceivers get away with LED for the light source, while LX and ZX et al use lasers.

I purchased 4dB and 12dB attenuators just for fun to try.  These were the only ones that were in US warehouse for quick ship, otherwise they come from Asia and that could take weeks with the current virus situation.

So, I'll be comparing SX (850nm) LED to LX (1310nm) 10k lasers with and without attenuation over a 5m single mode patch.

My path is Cisco 2960G (AV switch) feeds ER B-side > A-side SFP out to Pink Faun 2.16 PCIe fiber NIC.

It's sounding astoundingly good and I'll be impressed if the LX improves things further but for $75 I was willing to run the experiment.

I'll follow up in a couple weeks

On 2/15/2020 at 7:23 AM, lpost said:

I'll be comparing SX (850nm) LED to LX (1310nm) 10k lasers with and without attenuation over a 5m single mode patch.

My path is Cisco 2960G (AV switch) feeds ER B-side > A-side SFP out to Pink Faun 2.16 PCIe fiber NIC.

It's only been a couple hours but I must say I'm impressed with the LX 1310nm transceivers with 12dB attenuators.  It worked without attenuators, of course, but there is an 'ease' with them in vs. without.  I listened for 30 mins. or so before pulling the server to clean it out and add...EMI absorption.

I was needing to pull my server off the rack and clean it as it's been nearly 2 years since installed.  While grounded I used a static-free brush and a blower to clean it all out.  It wasn't as dirty as I thought, it's fan-less, but still I feel better with it clean.

I must add I broke the cardinal rule of change only one thing at a time but the effort to move a 70lbs server is significant for me.  I added a good number of 3M AB5020 Adhesive EMI Absorber to many components within the server.  I've read not to over do it, but I don't understand how more radiated interference within the box could be a good thing vs. less.  Again, conserving effort, I put a layer on every cap head, IC with or without a smooth aluminum heatsink and probably most importantly, numerous layers between and either side of the memory modules.  I just set the strips on each side as opposed to sticking them on the memory as I'll be trying some APacer modules soon.

I can recommend both tweaks as worthwhile and both are quite inexpensive by any standard let alone audiophilla standards.